Author Topic: Setlist: 2005-02-11 - The Loft; Poughkeepsie, NY  (Read 3795 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Setlist: 2005-02-11 - The Loft; Poughkeepsie, NY
« on: February 12, 2005, 03:23:38 am »
I: Space City Affair > Inner Glimpse, May Fly Disarray, jam > Sundance > Bugs > Sundance, No Regret > Tribal Funk Affliction > Sir Psycho Sexy > Tribal Funk Affliction, Great Big Fiery Ball In The Sky > Taboo Or Not Taboot, Folsom Prison Blues* > Son Of Simpleton

Code: [Select]
* Jordan on harmonica.[/i]

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 11:39:24 am »
D[size=10]zie![/size]

last night just goes to show that doozies can happen when you least expect them to. i\'ve never been to keepsie, but i had some expectations for this show. if nothing else, i at least expected there to be more people than were at the previous night\'s show 7" deep in snow in new hampshire..

nope, and nope.

but i can see why people wouldn\'t want to go to this place. the venue itself sucked, imo. when we got to The Loft, we walked into what looked and smelled like burning burgers at McDeuce.. and because they had the place filled with smoke, they had to open all the windows, and it was freezing in there for a good portion of the night.

so luckily, the ridiculous 4 opening bands got trimmed down to 2. the night kicked off with a guy making noises with a computer on stage, while 6 of his friends watched on in awe just wondering what noise he was going to make next. all i could think about was David Letterman\'s Is This Anything? in this case, Dave and Paul would have deduced that, No, this isn\'t anything.

we had a chance to walk across to the attached venue, The Chance Theatre, which was very cool looking, and packed with fans of the immortal Voodoo Glow Skulls, who were skanking it up like it was 1996 all over again. i was very impressed with the theatre, and have yet to stop humming VGS\'s amazing rendition of \'Charlie Brown\'.. skank on, fellas!

back to The Loft, where Rane was taking the stage. they were decent - certainly an upgrade to the computer guy.. looking around the room, the talks of a doozie are now beginning to swirl, and poor freddie is drinking a Corona, because the darkest beer they had was Heineken! :lol:

time for the b\'fast, and the crowd of 45 or so gathers in front of the stage, facing forwards while their hats are off staring in another direction.. ;) the sound in The Loft wasn\'t very good, especially after being treated to a great sounding room the night before. SCA was a good opener, and it\'s been forever since i last heard it..

as the set went on, the venue got worse - this time in the Department of Loftland Security. sketchy sketchy sketchy. this guy starts walking around with a flashlight, and comes up to me next to the board, where i had my laptop set up.

"Is this yours?", he asks me, as i\'m adjusting my levels...
"Yep."
"How about this?", he asks, as he points to Dobs\' suitcase next to the board..
"Nope, that\'s not mine."

so the guy picks it up and starts walking away with it. i\'m like, "OH!" and had to stop the guy from taking it to wherever he was going to take it.. i\'m wondering if i said the laptop & recording rig wasn\'t mine, what he would have done with it.. yeesh..

so anyways, apparently it\'s illegal in keepsie to put your beer down, because this guy spent the rest of his night walking around throwing beers away, whether they were empty or full.. is this place ser??? ugh.

back to the music.. highlight for me was jam > Sundance > Bugs > Sundance.. i think i\'m tired of the TFA>SPS>TFA sandwich - just been done too many times, and is too obvious.. decent set, not too long (1:40 or so).. and no one can complain about a SOS closer. :D

good to see all the area b\'fast fans come out. thanks for trying to make something happen here.. i just hope we won\'t be seeing The Loft again anytime soon...

NJ, here we come..

Buquebus

• SER breakfast geek
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 12:47:15 pm »
I must say that I was surprised by the turnout myself.  Sketchy crowd, lots of people getting the boot, confusion all around.. made for a siiick set though.  Tribal>Sir Psycho>Tribal was an all out disco funk throwwdown.. I may be offending peeps with my use of disco, but people were gettin down.. Jordan\'s harmonica playing was a nice touch to Folsom Prison Blues.. silly n00bs didn\'t even know that one..  Can\'t wait for tonight.. Stone Church>The Loft>Stone Pony= Happy Fucking Birthday..
Not sure what is gonna transpire. Regardless, we ain\'t gonna forget the gravy.

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 01:20:39 pm »
Doozie factor = 9.5

Yikes! Very accurate description of the evening Dave. This one caught me very off guard. A very strange evening indeed. One of the worst sounding places I\'ve ever been in. The Chance Theatre was very cool. 14-year old kids playing raging ska in front of a packed house. Walk through the door, and in you\'re in the Doozie Room.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 01:23:01 pm »
And thanks for the ride and Mikey Mike driving home.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 01:53:23 pm »
i\'m still a new guy dave, so tribal>sps>tribal was a rockin experience for this guy.  sorry to hear it\'s played out for you though.  this was a great setlist, Folsom Prison Blues was great.  i\'m workin on spreading this band around the area so that perhaps next time, they can play the chance theater and pack it out.  it\'s a great theater, i\'ve played in there a few times.  timmy was talkin up a scheme, its too bad that didn\'t happen.  i still have yet to see my favorite breakfast song live....
Postcount +1.

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 03:20:34 pm »
Originally posted by davepeck
so luckily, the ridiculous 4 opening bands got trimmed down to 2

I heard one of the warm up bands came in, took one look at the place, and said we\'re not playing here!

helluvahat

• I Like Dirt
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 06:02:31 pm »
Definitely going to have to echo the sketchiness of that room.  I think I saw a group of cops walk in at least 3 times.  It was very weird to have a packed house right across the hall and almost no one watchin\' the breakfast....ugh.  I was glad to catch that opening ska band next door though.  They were really good!!!

As for the show, I thought the jamming in mayfly was pretty awesome!  It was also good to hear sundance....hadn\'t heard it in a while.  Loved no regret and you can\'t forget...

SIMPLETON!!!!!  

It was good fun even though the room was garbage!  This place will probably make asbury park look like paradise!  Safe travels for those heading to NJ.

Good to meet ya Jim Cobb!!!
Play some Weezer!!!

Mamalakabubadaya

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 08:26:15 pm »
Originally posted by davepeck
as the set went on, the venue got worse - this time in the Department of Loftland Security. sketchy sketchy sketchy. this guy starts walking around with a flashlight, and comes up to me next to the board, where i had my laptop set up.

some definite unnecessary security happening last night...the guy with the flashlight made a point to look through my purse twice! that will be my first and last time at the loft..as for poughkeepsie, i\'ll be avoiding the place for the rest of my life..although, the ratio of cops to homeless people is about the same so i guess it has to be safe

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 05:22:14 pm »
"so luckily, the ridiculous 4 opening bands got trimmed down to 2. the night kicked off with a guy making noises with a computer on stage, while 6 of his friends watched on in awe just wondering what noise he was going to make next. "

haha that sounds pretty sick sorry i missed that

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 07:42:00 pm »
All I have to say about paughkeepsie is that I finally found a shittier city than waterbury connecticut....and at least there are some cool ass people in and from dirty water....paughshittown has not one redeeming quality....well the best part about it was watching it disappear into the night as mikey eventually got us outta there......
and the people who work at the loft...should all get big dicks shoved up there asses and down their throats....they make the webster security look like a Ukranian American Club show....The bartender was a bitch and has the personality of a cigarette butt in a toilet full of shit....and the dudes at the door couldnt have been bigger dicks if they were whale cocks.......oh and the venue was a stinky peice of shit as well.....I love the way they vented the smoke and grease from the kitchen below right into the loft.........so fuck paughkeepsie.  fuck the whole damn city right in their fucking collective ears......

as for the show.   pretty ser for a pretty ser doozie....
its been a while since I have actually seen a Space City Affair.  It is a sick sick ass jam....I didnt have a clue what it was until I just read it.....the Sundance>Bugs>Sundance was unFUCKINGbelieveable and the highlight of the night...........

Thanks to peck and mikey for the ride there and back.......

see ya real soon......
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 10:13:23 pm »
i never been to that place but  I used to live across the river in new paltz and pookeepsie is deffinitly one of the grimiest grossest cities out there.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 01:47:31 pm »
i had no idea poughdoozie was such a horrible place either...for some reason,i thought it was more of a college town,or a place like gloversville.this place should be leveled asap..
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set