Author Topic: The ONE and ONLY *PHISH* Summer \'03 Thread  (Read 8391 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Phishin
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2003, 04:34:09 pm »
Well, after 7 shows this summer, I am happy to report that Phish can still play.  I saw 1 great show (1st night Deer Creek), 1 awful show (1st night Alpine) and 5 very good shows (other Alpine and Deer Creek shows and Camdens.)  Having never done more than 4 shows in 1 tour before, I have to say thatthe details have sort of faded into each other, so instead of doing each show, here are some picked-up pieces:

-Scents and Subtle Sounds and Walls of the Cave are kick-ass new tunes.  Loved the 28 minute SASS in Camden and the long WOTC in Deer Creek.  

-Secret Smile is cute.  So is Dog Faced Boy.  The difference is, they realized long ago that there is no need to play Dog Faced Boy more than once a decade.  

-They got booed off the stage for playing Secret Smile encore at 1st night of Camden.  While I agree that it is a horrible encore, I must say that the crowd deserved nothing better.  It was dead silent at the end of the show!  Nobody cheered for them to come back out, and nobody cheered when they did come back out.  People these days!  After 800 straight shows with an encore, I don\'t know if they could slap an audience in the face enough to not come back out, but I wouldn\'t have blamed them if they didn\'t.  At the same time, to play an encore that you know is bad is to insult the audience, and insulting the audience (who has just insulted you) is only going to lead to bad things.  This is a very odd situation, Phish not selling out and getting booed off stage....

-A least 1 good jam every night, usually several, but nobody cheers at the parts where the crowd is supposed to do something.

-After doing the first 6 shows on the lawn, I totally forgot the power of the light rig.  Glad I snuck into the pavillion for my last show.  Man, do the lights suck on the lawn!

-Alpine is so weird how you can\'t see the band or even the light rig when you\'re on the lawn.  It\'s like it\'s sloped the wrong way.

-This tour is impossible to follow.  Look at the drives and the times to do them.  I think they\'re trying to keep people off of tour because the crowds are too big.  I remember having to park at a McDonald\'s 3 miles from the venue last time at The Meadows.  Two things about keeping the crowds down:
1.  It\'s working.
2.  Good.    

-Fuck IT!  Haha!  I\'m Phished out.  Glad I had such a good excuse to skip It.

JPorter

• http://
The ONE and ONLY *PHISH* Summer \'03 Thread
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2003, 06:09:36 pm »
Hello everyone and anyone,

I am going to give you a little run down of IT:

1)  Traffic was a breeze;  some friendly Mainers led us down a farming road that brought us about 1/4 from the gate, only waited \'bout 3 hours and got in at about 2 o\'clock friday.

2)  The air base was way massive;  you definately needed some sort of transportation device, such as Gordo\'s Segway scooter to get around. . .fortunately our campsite was \'boyut 15 minutes from the stage.

3)  First day of music was pretty disappointing to me personally;  I was excited to see them playing but their ong selection didn\'t do much for me.  The highlights:  1st set. . .Meatstick w/japanese lyrics was cool, good to hear vultures and Cavern was good as well.  3rd set highlight was seven below and S&SS. . .Encore was great!!!  Dog Log & Mango Song!!

4)  At 2am on Sunday the band played a 4th set atop the air traffic control tower. . . It was very very cool.  The lighting by Kudora was visually orgasmic and the band just jammed for an hour with some very Floyd like dark apocalyptic jam.  One of the highlights of IT.

5)  Sunday was really quite fun.  Great sets and they were on fire.  I was really close to the stage (like 6 deep from Mike).  1st set:  Saw it again is a new tune that I really liked.  Chalkdust, Wilson, Mikes>IAH>Weekapaug was fantastic.  Set 2 was the best set of the weekend,  GHOST was really funked out and the glowstick war was more like a DAISYCUTTER of glowsticks. . .you\'ll see it on the DVD.  Set 3 was very solid way to end the weekend; however,  I dont want a Zeppelin song for an encore!!!!!!!!

6)  Overall it was a B- weekend. . .I didn\'t like the venue and I\'m not to keen on the festivals with 60,000.  Honestly i don\'t think i\'d do a PHISH fest again.  I\'d rather do a 3-4 night run.  The scene and vibe of the fans wasn\'t doing it for me here at all.

Take care everyone and I can\'t wait to see the boys on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I\'m chomping at the bit for some Breakfast baby, yeeaahhh  baby!!!

josh
I\'m not, not licking toads. . . .

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2003, 11:21:35 pm »
Man, I cant believe you got in in 3 hours. We left after Camden Thursday night and got in line 6pm friday and got in at 6am saturday morning..almost 12 hours!  The place seemed freakin enormous, and I didnt think the stage was really as centralized or accessible as they said it was, especially with all the damn mud. However, the production (Sunk City) and especially the Great Gig in the Sky on that control tower made it unbelievable. I thought they played awesome during most songs. The first night, 3 set will go down in personal history books as being one of the best. The only thing that sucked was only having one gate enterance which got people all tired and pissed off waiting in line.  cant wait for the dvd.
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

Wolfman

WEIRD
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2003, 09:52:18 am »
Oh yeah, one more thing!

Last Tuesday my roomate\'s cat got run over.  He was paralyzed, and we had to put him down.  All day long I had the lyrics to Harpua in my head, the part that goes "Your cat died/ Your cat died / Poster is dead".  Then they played Harpua THAT NIGHT in Pittsburgh!  Divine intervention?  I mean, they NEVER play Harpua, and then they bust it out the night our cat dies.  Yikes...

Blackieshamps

• Blankee Dick
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2003, 02:27:44 pm »
Im glad to hear everyone had fun doing this whole Phish thing.  I hit Pittsburgh with a bunch of kids for my best friend\'s birthday (JUly 29th a great day), Then the next day left for Camden (July 30th horrible day) got shut out of The show and sat on lot all night broke waiting for my friends to get out of the show, then realized that PB is playing across the river in Philly so i got really psyched and seriously happy.  Got stuck on the roof of the parking lot building in traffic and finally got to the Khyber just in time to see that I MISSED THE SHOW.  wow that sucked.  IT was fun, looked for some PB fam around the area, saw Aruny and Gray during the set on the tower.  Hope everyone else had fun at the wedding. Im lookin forward to seeing everyone tomorrow  at Toads.  Alex
"Clown College? pfft you cant eat that!"

Wolfman

What the Funk?
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2003, 04:11:05 pm »
The official setlist at phish.net and gadiel.com has Reba with an asterisk for "with whistling".  What the hell is that?  We\'ve gone over this in the PB forum before when these Phish people get carried away with their setlists.  The whistling in Reba is part of the damn song, it\'s on the album!  Asterisking the whistling in Reba is like asterisking Wilson for "with crowd chanting \'Wilson\'" or asterisking Cavern for "with vocals" or asterisking Chalkdust for "with guitar solo".  Next thing you know it\'s gonna be "with Fishman on drums" or "with moving lights".  DUH!  Tell me something I DON\'T know!

WALSH

• Mahoney
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2003, 10:16:15 pm »
Wolf-Although I do think you usually have great points about over notation, but on Reba...there always should be an asterick.  They do not always do the whistling and at IT especially they seemed to be done and tuning for the next song while talking b4 they started the whistle ending...This one my friend definately deserves an asterick...IT was an amazing weekend that I will never forget and after the Went, Lemonwheel and IT I will never miss a Limestone fest...even if I sat in 14 hours of traffic!!!!!
Too fat for a tandem bike, and too drunk for a Mountain Bike...taste the fear.

jefft

• pbfan
    • http://www.etree.org/jefft
GORGE PICS
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2003, 02:06:53 am »
Cheap Sunglasses is a great song!