Author Topic: My *8*-show Pearl Jam run...  (Read 6542 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
My *8*-show Pearl Jam run...
« on: July 07, 2003, 11:05:19 am »
for those who care, i\'m in the midst of doing an 8-show Pearl Jam run right now..

07/02/03 - Tweeter Center; Mansfield, MA
07/03/03 - Tweeter Center; Mansfield, MA
07/05/03 - Tweeter Center; Camden, NJ
07/06/03 - Tweeter Center; Camden, NJ
07/08/03 - Madison Square Garden; New York, NY
07/09/03 - Madison Square Garden; New York, NY
07/11/03 - Tweeter Center; Mansfield, MA
07/14/03 - PNC Bank Arts Canter; Holmdel, NJ

so far so good... they are absolutely on fire! not a whole lot of repeats in songs, which is always a good thing. eddie\'s been playing a song solo each night before the first band (Buzzcocks) plays.. tried sitting through one Buzzcocks set.. didn\'t dig it at all....

setlists and comments to follow, again, for those who may care..

(freddie, any posts you make in this thread will be immediately deleted!) :lol:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 09:42:58 am by davepeck »

davepeck

• Administrator
07/02/03 - Tweeter Center; Mansfield, MA
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 11:10:29 am »
ed solo: Dead Man

setlist: Oceans, Go, Hail Hail, Save You, Deep, Get Right, Dissident, I Am Mine, Even Flow, Help Help, Immortality, In My Tree, Light Years, Evacuation, Whipping, Grievance, Present Tense, Porch

encore: Thumbing My Way, Elderly Woman, Smile, State Of Love And Trust, Leaving Here

encore 2: Soon Forget, Bushleaguer, Fuckin\' Up

by far, the BEST PJ show i\'ve seen to date! SO much energy, it was absurd.. personal highlights: Oceans opener, Deep, Immortality, and Leaving Here!! eddie confirms that over the 3 nights in Mass, they won\'t be repeating a single song! (originally wanted to get through their entire catalog of songs for this tour, but its not gonna happen with 105 songs!) interesting thing about this is that Even Flow had been played at every show for the longest time... pretty cool...

rating: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 02:05:35 pm by davepeck »

davepeck

• Administrator
07/03/03 - Tweeter Center; Mansfield, MA
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 11:15:03 am »
ed solo: You\'ve Got To Hide Your Love Away

setlist: Release, Animal, God\'s Dice, Do The Evolution, Insignificance, Love Boat Captain, I Got Id, Low Light, Rival, Lukin > Not For You, Daughter/(WMA)/(I\'ve Been Tired by The Pixies), You Are, In Hiding, I Am A Patriot, Once, Rearviewmirror

encore: Driven To Tears, Corduroy, Soldier Of Love, Crazy Mary, Alive

encore 2: Baba O\'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter

another sweet show, made even sweeter by the fact that there were no repeats.. after a nice Release opener, they really came out rockin\'... nice early Evolution! only the second  Low Light since 2001. :thumbsup: Lukin > Not For You was rockin\'... really good encores!

rating: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 02:06:21 pm by davepeck »

davepeck

• Administrator
07/05/03 - Tweeter Center; Camden, NJ
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 11:19:56 am »
ed solo: Throw Your Arms Around Me

setlist: Can\'t Keep, Brain Of J, Save You, Do The Evolution, Spin The Black Circle, Green Disease, Cropduster, Given To Fly, Even Flow, Faithfull, Wishlist, Rockin\' In The Free World, 1/2 Full, Love Boat Captain, Breath, I Believe In Miracles, Corduroy, Rearviewmirror

encore: Last Exit, Better Man, Down, Black, Blood

encore 2: You\'ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, Last Kiss, Baba O\'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter

finally able to catch Ed solo for the first time this tour - picked a great night to do it too, as i love TYAAM! surprisingly not a lot of repeats from either of the last 2 nights. great to hear Brain Of J and Faithfull!! mid-set RITFW was off the hook and took everyone by surprise (usually closes the show)! fireworks going off across the water in philly made for a nice atmosphere... Breath and Down were also great to hear.. again, good song selection for the encores!

rating: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 02:07:01 pm by davepeck »

davepeck

• Administrator
07/06/03 - Tweeter Center; Camden, NJ
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 11:34:49 am »
ed solo: The Kids Are Alright

buzzcocks set: Why Can\'t I Touch It? (w/ Ed)

setlist: Of The Girl, Breakerfall, Hail Hail, Save You, Grievance, Dissident, Immortality, I Am Mine, Get Right, Even Flow, In My Tree, Lukin, Not For You, Nothingman, You Are, Whipping, Porch

encore: Jeremy, Elderly Woman, Better Man, Daughter, Alive

encore 2: Do The Evolution, Fuckin\' Up, Rockin\' In The Free World

after driving for 4+ hours, thanks to the good old NJ Turnpike, i was really hoping for a good show... Ed doing The Kids Are Alright was just what i needed to put me in a good mood.. :thumbsup: although i was overall happy with the main set (especially the first 7), the encore killed me... Ed even announced it as an \'all-request encore\'... also known as an all-radio or all-singalong encore... *sigh* the only good thing that came out of it (enc1) was s full Save It For Later tag at the end of Better Man (which i\'ve been waiting for for a while!)... encore 2 brought things back up to speed, but it sucks that 2/3 songs were played the night before...

rating: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 02:07:39 pm by davepeck »

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 08:24:44 pm »
peck, you know what? i thought about it, and the more i listen to pearl jam, the more i like them... eddie\'s voice actually gives me wood sometimes. i wish he\'d join pb.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 08:49:43 pm by davepeck »
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

tiedyetoga

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 09:20:25 am »
LMAO!!!

doyle

pj
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 10:06:04 pm »
i was at the first tweeter ma show and i must agree that it fucking rocked.  hopefully i will make it tomorrow to msg

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2003, 10:28:23 pm »
peck you da man!!funny thing is nobody here except for me knows it!!cool ,funny shit.the more i think about it the more i am cracking up.you gots some magic powers man!!!
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

realisthis

• I Got 99 Problems, But...
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/realisthis?listid=0
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2003, 10:54:45 pm »
Freddie, I DO get wood from Eddies voice and looks (cough cough)  (It\'s ok, my gf knows this) and Im gonna be at all 3 boston shows and fucking A....NOTHING is better than an oceans opener....sooo sweet for my first shows....was waiting about 10 years for it too!
How real is that?

davepeck

• Administrator
07/08/03 - Madison Square Garden; New York, NY
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2003, 11:13:13 am »
buzzcocks set: Why Can\'t I Touch It? (w/ Ed)

setlist: Love Boat Captain, Last Exit, Save You, Green Disease, In My Tree, Cropduster, Even Flow, Gimme Some Truth, I Am Mine, Low Light, Faithfull, Wishlist/(Why Can\'t I Touch It?), Lukin > Grievance, 1/2 Full, Black, Spin The Black Circle, Rearviewmirror

encore: You Are, Thumbing My Way, Daughter/(With My Own Two Hands*), Crown Of Thorns, Breath, Better Man, Do The Evolution

encore 2: Crazy Mary, Indifference*, Sonic Reducer, Baba O\'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter

* with Ben Harper on vocals.

umm... ok.. remember what i said about mansfield1 being the best show i\'ve seen to date?? yeah, well.. this one is RIGHT up there. 3 hours; 30 songs!! unreal! where to start...

LBC - great opener. didn\'t see it coming. picked it up and rocked out for the next 3, before doing the reworked In My Tree. very nice. rockin\' again, and a nice jammin\' Even Flow, followed by :holyshit:Gimme Some Truth:holyshit:!! (my first)..

mellowed out for a bit, but Low Light/Faithfull was :thumbsup:. good to hear some yield.. back to business with Lukin, surprisingly going into Grievance instead of the typical Not For You. (no complaints though!) after going back down for a singalong with Black, they tore up the rest of the set, looking like they were having a particularly good time with Spin The Black Circle! RVM would obviously be the set closer, and a great way to go out.

first encore was great. 7 songs instead of the usual 5. big :thumbsdow to the Ben Harper appearance (can\'t stand him).. no complaints other than that, and they closed with a ferocious Evolution!

after coming back out for a second encore, eddie said that he was scared shitless during DTE, cause the room was shaking.. i guess someone backstage told him it\'s only happened 3 times before (for the Grateful Dead, Iron Maiden, and Bruce Springsteen), though i\'ve been there when it was shaking for Phish, so.. i dunno..

i called Crazy Mary, and was happy with my call! :D great to hear it, and excellent placement. MSG\'s curfew is 11:30, and the band is going over.. eddie says \'you know what, it\'s gonna cost us $14,000, but fuck it, we\'re not done! we\'re gonna keep going!\' NICE!

i would love to say that i loved hearing my first indifference of the year, but i can\'t when Ben Harper sang half of it... shoot me now.. :yack:Ben Harper

anyways...

SONIC REDUCER!!! ain\'t no loser! holy shit. THIS is what i wanted.. bassist from the Buzzcocks sat in on this. ROCKED!

lights on for Baba, with everyone in the room singing along! Buzzcocks guitarists sat in for this one, and it was a GREAT way to end the show...

so we thought...

but as we\'re walking out during the last note of Baba, almost making it all the way to the exit, we heard that the band was NOT done yet.. heard the opening riff to Yellow Ledbetter, and sprinted to the nearest enterance we could find. took YL in from a different view, and it was fantastic. Mike was off the hook at the end.. shredding like crazy. THANK YOU, good night!

a couple sprints, shoulder blocks, blisters, buckets of sweat, and a stressful cab ride, we made it to GCT barely in time for the 12:17 train!

rating (out of 5): :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::hump:

gonna be hard to top it, but doing it again tonight nonetheless!

(i\'ll go back and give all the shows a rating at some point.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 11:25:05 am by davepeck »

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2003, 02:09:28 pm »
Originally posted by freddiewaht
you gots some magic powers man!!!

so i\'ve been told... :hump:

davepeck

• Administrator
and it keeps getting better and better...
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2003, 03:13:32 pm »
forgot to post this before:

In a shocking move, Pearl Jam has decided to play a pre-show set from 6:30-7:30 before the actual show on Friday, July 11th in Boston. This pre-show set is in addition to their regular set to be played after Sleater-Kinney\'s opening performance. The band added this set in order to make good on their promise of playing every song in their catalogue, which seemed all but impossible.

In addition, word has it that Pearl Jam is trying to get 250 tickets to give to the people who live in the trailer park next to the Tweeter Center (the show is not sold out). Why? So that they can play past the 11:00 o\'clock curfew.

Should be an exciting night for all attending!

:dance1::disco::dance2:

realisthis

• I Got 99 Problems, But...
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/realisthis?listid=0
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2003, 05:35:18 pm »
Dave, I agree with ya about ben harper. Freakin ben came out in 98 at msg and didnt know half the words to indifference. I hope theyre not gonna make it a constant thing with him and msg.
How real is that?

tiedyetoga

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2003, 10:47:20 am »
Thats nuts what they are doing up in Boston. Thats cool as shit though.