Author Topic: The Zone One Discussion Thread [MERGED]  (Read 9541 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
The Zone One Discussion Thread [MERGED]
« on: October 31, 2004, 05:21:24 am »
The Breakfast - Zone One review

First off, a warning, this review contains spoilers. If it’s material you may not want to know, it is blacked out. To read that material, simply highlight it. When Dobs was making this album, he wanted to make mixes that people could identify if they really tried, but he also wanted to make you work at it. This review contains my notes on where the songs came from, but since you may want to do it yourself, I used the spoilers.

Why does this album even exist? The reasoning behind it is contract issues with the label. The breakfast cannot re-release any material that they have recorded in studio unless it goes through the label for a set length of time (five years). This may sound harsh, but it is actually a standard of practice. If this didn’t exists, then a song could be released on a small label, become a #1hit, get re-recorded that week elsewhere and then all the profits would go to the second studio, not the first (got it now)? Good. That being said, there is a loophole in this: one, you can release material that has not been recorded for studio yet. Or, two, you can take the jam from a song that is unique to the night it was recorded on, name it, and release it as a song. It is the combination of these two that created the album.

This may lead to some confusion however, because someone who doesn’t know the songs very well but owns this album may write a set list using these song names, when they are technically parts of songs that already exist. An example would be [spoiler]Pinocchio, which is really just the jam from the middle of puppetry.[/spoiler] Someone who didn’t know may write a setlist as [spoiler]Puppetry > Pinicchio[/spoiler], when it is in fact just [spoiler]Puppetry[/spoiler].

Here we go!
The entire album was recorded on [spoiler]5/7/04 in upstate new york. The only one to tape that night was Dobs, who did a multitrack and also mixed this album. [/spoiler] As a result, this is the only available recording of the material on the album. [spoiler]Here is the full setlist:
May 7th, 2004 – Electric Company; Utica, NY
I: Doughboy, Wake Up in a Coma > The Vermont Song, Escher’s Etchings > Hush, Hard Luck Harry >
Dimension 5, Soul Finger

II: Language of the Gods, What the Funk*, No Regret, China Cat Sunflower > Puppetry, Inner Glimpse,
May Fly Disarray**, The Chase, Superfly Phaddy Fat

* Jason Press (Rezi) on Sax
** Head Like a Hole (Nine Inch Nails) tease; Five to One (Doors) tease
 [/spoiler]

The first track is Wake up in a coma. This is the only ‘full’ song on the album. Ironically, the band has recorded this song in studio, but they did it when they were Moki Jam, and they did it back in 1998. This is a great instrumental song, and has changed style three or four times since its original conception. This is a good representation of the current version. For other versions, go get a copy of the Moki Jam album ‘Episodes’, and there is a great rendition of the second version from the Second Fonghoulish Freakout.

Plosion is the end jam from [spoiler]Hard Luck Harry[/spoiler]. This is easily identifiable by the riff immediately following the drum fill near the beginning of the track.

Fly by the seat of your pants is the jam from [spoiler] May fly disarray[/spoiler]. It is identifiable by the bass line, and more specifically from the teases that identify the show it came from.

Liberation I think is [spoiler]the jam from Escher’s etching, based on the riff at the beginning, but I have to listen to it a few more times before confirming.[/spoiler]

Pleasure Burn I have not identified yet. It is a good jam, but the segway into Moon: the new earth sounds a little rushed – the tempo changes ever so slightly. It sounds a little forced.

Moon: The new earth obviously is a jam out of [spoiler] Space oddity by David Bowie[/spoiler]. This raises some questions however, because [spoiler]Dobs told me that the entire album was mixed from one show, however, they did not play Space Oddity at that show[/spoiler]. I have no answer to this. This is a great jam – the only thing I don’t like about it is how the high hat suddenly gets loud at around 6:18. Personally I think it sounds like a bad mix, but maybe its there to hide something else? Who knows, it’s not unbearable, its just very present in the mix. The best thing about this song is the build up and segway into the next track. If it doesn’t leave a smile on your face, then you just don’t get what this album is about.

Pinocchio is a joke title, because the track, as I said earlier is [spoiler]the jammed out end to puppetry, and Pinocchio is a puppet[/spoiler]. HAHAHA.

All in all this is a great album and showcases one of the reasons that the Breakfast is such a great band. If your looking for songs with lyrics, go buy real radio. But if you appreciate a great jam when you hear it, than you will love this album. Look for more to come over time, as this is just Zone one, and just because [spoiler] this whole album was recorded at one show[/spoiler], that wont always be the case. [spoiler]As more shows are multitracked, more material will become available for Zone discs[/spoiler]. This album is only available at Breakfast shows, and is defiantly worth it – also, you get a copy of the real radio sampler with your purchase!
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

crimsonknuckles

• makes geniuses disappear!
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 11:39:50 am »
this was compiled from utica,oneonta & a place in p.a.! i guess, most from utica,i recorded these shows and with great respect to josh i cannot release them(not that you would want them!)
" Let\'s go Islanders!!!!!!! "
" A festive mood is all around, Another world is what we found "
" Brewin\' funk inside my soul kitchen so pullup a chair here\'s a bit have a listen "

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 01:31:00 pm »
This seems like the Infared Roses Project by Bob Bralove and GD which was just a sonic experience that Bralove wanted to do. What I do not understand is the legal reasons stated for the making of this album.Industry standard is usually that songs recorded AND released cannot be re-released until the time specified in contract.
So what you\'re saying is all the songs used have been recorded and released in studio for a label be it their old label or new ? If so where are these albums?  Also the Infared Roses Project did cause the problem Paul mentioned w/ newbies putting IRP jams on tapes. It was quite funny. It was done the same way so if you listened you could link the jams to the songs/dates culled from.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 01:56:48 pm »
the majority of these songs are the \'jam\' sections of songs that have been released. SInce the jam is different each night, and this album is only that section, technically, it is a unique piece of music. As a result, they can release it in this fashion. At least thats my understanding of it.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

leith

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 02:19:38 pm »
So when you say released you are including those discs of live shows found on livediscs Yeah? If so I totally understand now.

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 04:05:26 pm »
the Zone Disc was not pulled all from one show it was pulled from an entire weekend.  A show @ Utica, Wilkes-Barre, and Oneonta,
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 10:24:36 am »
that actually makes more sence, because dobs told me the show he was working on was from PA, not NY.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 10:46:52 am »
thanks for the review Paul. Sounds like Zone One is exactly what I\'m lookin for.
Masturbation in the MFA

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
Zone One Appreciation Thread
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 05:51:16 pm »
With the Real Radio release having been delayed until February, the Breakfast have really done their fans right by releasing Zone One (and the Real Radio sampler).

I know there is a post on here somewhere where Paul gives up some spoilers about the jams on Zone One, but it is relatively easy to hear what tunes each of the jams are part of.  

I always go on about the best ____ ever or the sickest ___ to date, but after hearing the jam with the "Head Like a Hole" and "5 to 1" mini jam in it, I know that some of the best versions of tunes out there are from shows that I have never ever heard.  So when I say this is the best ever, I will be forever caviated with "of the shows that I have seen".

From the fade in\'s and out\'s of the jams to the titles of the tracks, it is easy to tell that this isn\'t some half-assed effort.  I wanted to write this post while listening to the Zone One disk, but it has been stuck in my car since Friday.  There are so many tasty moments from each member of the band.

SO ....

KUDOS to the Breakfast and all involved for bringing us this little tidbit of freshies to tide us over till February....or at least until Radio Joe has the Freakout up and streaming "A-Hem!!!" ;)
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 07:22:17 am »
Dobs deserves a lot of credit too on these disks i think. without him they may not have gotten recorded and mixed and everything. He does the Breakfast well
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 09:09:45 am »
Wah and I were talking about that last night.  

Ser job Dobz!

Keep it up and good luck out on the road...
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 07:22:20 pm »
I am not really sure I understand what is on Zone 1.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

leith

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 09:20:31 pm »
Originally posted by alexanderzurflu
I am not really sure I understand what is on Zone 1.

It\'s The Breakfast equivalent of GD\'s Infared Roses Project. Dobs took jams from songs through a 3 nite run and w/ editing and mixing made "songs" from these jams.
 Does that help?

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 08:58:33 am »
Yeah that definitely provides a clear description.  Now that I know what Zones entails, I hope to get a copy in the coming weeks.  

So it was basically just a fun little project to get everyone excited?
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 01:45:49 pm »
ser job mr.dobs!!!!!
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set