Author Topic: Robin Ventura Retires  (Read 2255 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Robin Ventura Retires
« on: October 12, 2004, 08:22:07 am »
Six-time Gold Glober leaves to little fanfare

Monday, October 11, 2004

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Robin Ventura retired in a fashion fitting for the way he played and behaved during a fine 16-year career -- quietly, with dignity and little fanfare.

"I\'m absolutely positive. I\'ve realized that it\'s time to go, and that\'s it," Ventura said after the Los Angeles Dodgers lost to St. Louis 6-2 Sunday night, eliminating them from the NL playoffs.

Ventura, 37, played nine years with the Chicago White Sox, two with the New York Mets and 2½ with the Yankees before finishing up with 1½ seasons in Los Angeles -- less than 200 miles from where he grew up.

He was used mostly in a utility role with the Dodgers, hitting .243 with five homers and 28 RBI in 152 at-bats this season. He did hit two grand slams -- raising his career total to 18. That\'s tied with Willie McCovey for the third-most in baseball history, behind only Lou Gehrig (23 and Eddie Murray (19).

Ventura decided to retire last week, telling teammates this would be it -- win or lose in the postseason.

He leaves with a batting average of 294 home runs, 1,182 RBI and a .267 batting average. A third baseman most of his career, he won six Gold Gloves at third base.

"I\'ve been fortunate in the four years I\'ve managed in the big leagues to be around some very professional people," Dodgers manager Jim Tracy said Monday. "Robin Ventura transcends about every possible thing you can think of when it comes to professionalism."

Ventura said the limitations of an arthritic right ankle played a role in his decision. He broke his ankle during spring training in 1997, a gruesome accident on a slide at home plate.

"I knew my ankle has been progressively worse each year," he said. "I knew it wouldn\'t be fair to Tracy to come back here and, if somebody got hurt, not be able to be more than just a pinch-hitter."

Ventura, who said he might consider returning to baseball in some capacity, attended high school in Santa Maria and was a three-time All-American at Oklahoma State, where he set a national record with a 58-game hitting streak.

Ventura had his best year with the Mets in 1999, hitting .301 with 32 homers and 120 RBI.

Despite his mild-mannered reputation, Ventura is often remembered for a run-in with Nolan Ryan back in 1993.

After being hit by a pitch from baseball\'s career strikeout leader, Ventura charged the mound. Ryan grabbed Ventura in a headlock and punched him a half-dozen times.

Ventura was ejected and later handed a two-game suspension. Ryan stayed in the game and got the victory.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2004/news/story?id=1899106

count me as a ventura fan.. he had a nice little run with the yanks, and always came to the plate to the Chili Peppers... :) i remember having a big grin on my face when he came out to \'Can\'t Stop\', about a week before the album (By The Way) was even released!

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
    • http://
Robin Ventura Retires
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 08:52:08 am »
"Ventura had his best year with the Mets in 1999, hitting .301 with 32 homers and 120 RBI."

This is how I will always remember him. Though that Nolan Ryan footage is unforgettable!
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
Robin Ventura Retires
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 01:15:29 pm »
I believe he is/was a nutmegger taboot....
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
Robin Ventura Retires
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 03:47:07 pm »
Originally posted by Stephengencs
I believe he is/was a nutmegger taboot....

Robin Mark Ventura
Born: July 14, 1967 in Santa Maria, CA

Sorry Steve-o.  Not a Nutmegger.

My favorite Robin Ventura moment was his grand slam turned single to beat the Braves in the 2000 NLCS.  Though I\'ll always remember when he destroyed his ankle.  Grotesque.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
Robin Ventura Retires
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 04:08:45 pm »
I think he did live in CT during his stint with the Mutts and Yanks...
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph