Author Topic: Setlist: 2004-08-06 - Knitting Factory; New York, NY  (Read 8400 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Setlist: 2004-08-06 - Knitting Factory; New York, NY
« on: August 07, 2004, 06:03:54 am »
I: Inner Glimpse, Sleeping Beauty, No Regret, Escher\'s Etchings Part 1 > Doughboy, Peaches En Regalia > Beef Barley, Tribal Funk Affliction > Escher\'s Etchings Part 2 > Tribal Funk Affliction, Fairy, Great Big Fiery Ball In The Sky > The Vermont Song, The Grand Scheme Of Things*

E: Vera Street, Rockin\' In The Free World

* with Drum Solo.

rub a dub dub... nevermind. :thumbsup:

shaboy!

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 07:42:30 am »
Greatest...Fiery Ball....EVER!

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 09:19:56 am »
^ with Wolf making "something out of nothing" on lights
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Re: Setlist: 08/06/04 - Knitting Factory; New York, NY
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 09:46:52 am »
Tonight was one of the first times I\'ve seen the boys in the city in a while. The king, Chris and I drove down getting there sometime during the Razi set. These guys kick ass! Check them out next time there around. Drew called it when he said "There like a teenage mahavishnu orchestra". good stuff. On to the show.

Inner Glimpse was a good opener and got the crowd going. The band was obviously having trouble with the inner ear monitor system throughout the show and it started here. Regardless, you couldn’t tell out on the floor. As Tim put it between songs, "Well, as long as you can hear it out there and it sounds good." Onto sleeping beauty. This song is weird; sometimes I think it’s great, other times I could care less. I don’t mean the particular night’s performance, but the song itself. There’s just something about it that I haven’t gotten yet. Either way, last night was one of the stellar versions and I thought the song was kickin. Next the boys ripped the walls off the place with No regret. That guitar riff is just so damn heavy.
None of first three songs had any jamming and they all seemed to fly by. But anyone who wanted some jamming didn’t have to wait long: etcher’s etchings baby! But alas, it was a tease. Only the second time I\'ve seen them split etchers. The Etcher’s>doughboy segway leaves something to be desired and you could see Tim and Jordan laughing at each other as they did it. It sounded like they sharply changed key. Rhythm was good, but something in the tonic didn’t quite resonate out they way you would expect it to. So here we are 5 songs in and still no substantial jamming. Just as I was starting to think tonight was going to be a 30 song ramones-esque set, they pulled one out of the closet! First non-tour Peaches en Regalia since 6/6/03 in La Choza, Pittsfield, Mass! May not seem like much, but a crowd favorite from the days of LDZ>HDX being played for the first time in over a year for the local fans is always a reason to celebrate. One word for the peaches: TIGHT! Throw a telephone solo and a sax in there and you got the recipe for some hot rats. But did it stop there? Nope! Beef barley! Another one that I haven’t heard in a while. A nice long synth solo leading into Tim ripping it up before the chorus came back in several minutes later. Damn, two old songs in a row. Could it get any better?

Tribal funkafliction sealed the deal. Nice and heavy, the only thing better than watching Tim getting down was watching Diana head banging :P
Well, before you knew what was going on, we\'re back into etchers part two and the crowd was fluid by this time. Everyone is getting down, bringing back memories of tobacco rd. Back out of etchers and a return to tribal before the segays finally stopped and everyone got to take a breather. Tim introduced an old song that will be on the next album and went into Fairy (4.0, since it’s the 4th reincarnation of the song). I love this version of the song. It’s so damn heavy with giant nirvana sounding distorted chords ringing throughout. The mellow version did nothing for me, but ever since they changed it this is a personal favorite. Great big fiery ball is debated to be the best version ever by some, but I\'d have to hear it again. It was definitely a great version either way, especially the jam at the end. It was so far off from gbfbits that it felt like i left the building, hailed a cab, drove down to phili and hung out for a week before out of nowhere we\'re all back in the knitting factory watching the vermont song. How the hell did that happen? Vermont sealed the deal for me. I figured this was it, then a 3-4 song encore to close it out.

Nope - Grand scheme! Adrian was really playing with the intro, doing a delayed drum riff that sounded like he was fading away. Only thing it did was make the song that much louder when the band came in. Scheme is always a treat, and I did not expect to get it tonight at all. Especially with a drum solo. Some quick introductions when the band came back out and the scheme goes out with a bang. Could have been the end of the show, but the crowd (especially peck:P ) demanded one more song. Back out for vera st. calm everyone down for the end of the night. Completely different mood now, and out of nowhere Tim starts rocking in the free world! first time I’ve heard it since new years. Adrian sang as usual. The first half of the first verse you couldn’t even hear him. Then he got brought up and everything was going good until the second verse, when his mic fell out of the stand, and then the stand fell over. Tim to the rescue. While still playing guitar (sort of), Tim first tried holding the mic for Adrian, then set it up again for him. Wait for it to come around again, and the rest of the song went off perfect.

Damn, what a night. What started off as a cut and dry show turned into a jam fest reminiscent of rudys on a thursday night. glad to see everyone, even if I was stuck behind the camera most of the night and didn’t really get around. Wolf, nice lighting job considering what they gave you to work with.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 10:05:28 am »
last night was quite a treat. by far my faveorite NYC venue to see them at (besides the ol\' Tobacco Rd)  Traibal was awesome. Scheme was awesome. The Hebrew beers before the show were nice. Kosher i believe. Rezi..deffinatley a fun band and the guitar player told me Tim was by far his faveorite guitarist and Breakfast his faveorite band. cant argue that. Wolf, considering what you had to work with, nice job. That was great when Adrians mic fell over and he came back into the next verse with some real flare (check out recording for specifics). Very very fun night.
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
Re: Re: Setlist: 08/06/04 - Knitting Factory; New York, NY
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 11:37:26 am »
Originally posted by FrankZappa
Drew called it when he said "There like a teenage mahavishnu orchestra".

I did?
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 12:11:27 pm »
Great review Paul.......

I feel bad for all the suckas going to Coventry.   I am sure it will be special, and blah, blah, blah, but to me there is nothing special about port-o-pots with pooh piled higher than the seat....

The NINE will be SO FINE!

Glad to hear the show was as sick as I imagined it would have been.  

How was the crowd?

Well Bob and Willie start in about 6 hours.  And today looks like a great day to BOOM.....

peace!
gencs
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2004, 12:38:12 pm »
stevie have a good time. dont think im goin but maybe. paul ...nice review. meant to say. Cafe 9 will be where its at..and then Branford on sunday for the phish simulcast!!
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2004, 12:43:34 pm »
I will be up at the simulcast on sunday in branford with billy chags...

there is a good chance i will be passed out for the first set, but whatever.....

I\'ll call you later Rooney
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004, 01:21:57 pm »
How was the non PBfan turnout?  I hope the crowd was bigger this time around in NYC, looks like the guys threwdown fairly hard.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

FrankZappa

• Administrator
Re: Re: Re: Setlist: 08/06/04 - Knitting Factory; New York, NY
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2004, 01:33:58 pm »
Originally posted by Drew_Kingsley

I did?

hmmm. someone said that to me upstairs while they were still playing. maybe it was fitz
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

ChrisF

Re: Re: Re: Re: Setlist: 08/06/04 - Knitting Factory; New York, NY
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 03:28:51 pm »
Originally posted by FrankZappa

hmmm. someone said that to me upstairs while they were still playing. maybe it was fitz

it wasnt me. i thought you were thew one who said that.

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 03:48:42 pm »
no, someone said it to me. I agreed with them and probably repeated it, but the quote was not mine. wonder who said it...

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2004, 04:01:02 pm »
last night definitely rocked, as i expected it would. sooooooo happy to see a lot of people were at the show. The place was nicely packed. hopefully that means the breakfast can play there more often.

paul, great review. my neck is always soar after a breakfast show. i\'ll never be able to shake my head-banging roots!

my sincere thanks goes out to mike and jon for catching me before i fell flat on my back on the dance floor last night! yeah.... let\'s just say i had a few to many........ sorry for being such a sloppy drunk!

colinh9

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2004, 05:38:32 pm »
Last nights show blew my mind, every song was perfect, and its too abd they aren\'t playing in NYC tonight again :D

Awesome stuff, can\'t wait to see them again