Author Topic: Tim\'s rig??  (Read 3866 times)

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
Tim\'s rig??
« on: November 01, 2011, 04:23:42 pm »
i\'m listening to the freakout and his tone sounds great. much fatter than in years past. is this just me or does he have fairly new toys? what is his (your) rig currently? what pedals, what amp, etc...

thanks!

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Tim\'s rig??
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:14:33 pm »
Who cares when there are no Breakfast songs emanating from the rig?

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
Tim\'s rig??
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 06:46:46 pm »
i wish he played the sg instead of the strat.
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Tim\'s rig??
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 07:17:26 pm »
I have noticed a slight change in (average) tone this year from say a couple years ago.

Sounds like the midtones are scooped out a little more. Tim used to have a lot of midtone and now it sounds "fuller" (scooped)

and I\'m glad he ditched the SG those guitars suck and that\'s the reason almost nobody plays them... but I do wish he still had his old Telecaster around and played that once in a while for that "classic PB tone"
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
Tim\'s rig??
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 07:22:39 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;274058
I have noticed a slight change in (average) tone this year from say a couple years ago.

Sounds like the midtones are scooped out a little more. Tim used to have a lot of midtone and now it sounds "fuller" (scooped)

and I\'m glad he ditched the SG those guitars suck and that\'s the reason almost nobody plays them... but I do wish he still had his old Telecaster around and played that once in a while for that "classic PB tone"

pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Tim\'s rig??
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:33:36 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;274058

Sorry, the SG is what gave the classic PB sound its tone...  It was the guitar of choice until it was stolen in \'01...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Tim\'s rig??
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 08:48:54 pm »
yeah and then Tim played a Tele almost every show in 2002 and 2003

I remember some early shows with an SG not sure if it was the one that got stolen or probably one he had after that

anyway Eschers Etchings on a Telecaster = what I think of as the classic PB tone

Stratocaster is the most versatile guitar and sounds terrific so I thought it was great when Tim switched to that most of the time
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Tim\'s rig??
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 08:44:06 am »
Personal opinion...  Classic PB to me was 99-02...  Not long after that PB became TB...  It\'s symatecs, but that\'s the way I see it...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
Tim\'s rig??
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 09:56:42 am »
I love the SG
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

jking

• thanks!!
Tim\'s rig??
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 10:50:51 am »
i\'ve always been a strat guy, but the sg definitely has it\'s place. i just like the scream of the strat over the growl of the sg.

and i\'m in the midst of severe gear acquisition syndrome right now and am looking for other ideas to improve my tone based on the rigs of others.

for a while (04-05) he had too much quack in his tone. don\'t know if it was too many mids with too much fast wah use or what, but it was occassionally distracting to me. lately though, he\'s sounded much fuller and richer. it sounds like a much more mature tone, if that makes any sense...

and tim is still making music with the rig, just not breakfast music.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
Tim\'s rig??
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:56:31 am »
^ he went through a serious envelope filter phase (quack sound)
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

jking

• thanks!!
Tim\'s rig??
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 11:01:42 am »
that\'s probably it, though it seemed really fast for an envelope filter. probably a combo of filtr and wah... actually, now that i think about it, that would make perfect sense... thanks!

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
Tim\'s rig??
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 11:41:38 am »
I\'m on team SG.  and nobody plays them?  Pete muthafuckin\' Townshend.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Tim\'s rig??
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 12:53:37 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;274117

Pete Townshend used Strats from 1964-1968, and 1989 -present.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Tim\'s rig??
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 01:51:33 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;274123
Quote from: Igziabeher;274117

Pete Townshend used Strats from 1964-1968, and 1989 -present.

Early Years -  Emile Grimshaw SS De Luxe and 6-string and 12-string Rickenbacker semi-hollow electric
Late 60\'s - SG
70\'s - Les Paul & Gretch
80\'s - Strat

The Who, to me, will always be Tommy and he was the SG exclusively in the studio and live during that time...