Author Topic: Setlist: 2011-10-28 - 13th Annual Fonghoulish Freakout: Daniel Street; Milford, CT  (Read 9097 times)

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
I\'m pretty pissed they didn\'t spend an entire set covering The Doors.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Look, my opinion is what it is...  I don\'t need to contribute to have an opinion, but if you\'re asking if I\'ve been to a show in the past 5 years, the answer is yes, I was at both Donegal Saloon shows in \'08...  TB hasn\'t played NJ and when they did, it was a Wednesday/Thursday night...  

My point was that if this was the last show before an indefinite hiatus, then the just over 3 hour show over 3 sets seems a little short...  In comparison, the first FF, 13 years ago, was also a 3 set show and ran a little over 4 hours...   Don\'t tell me that was then and this is now because these guys are all still in their 30\'s and have the energy to give it all...  As to my other point, if you knocked some of the songs down from 16-18 minutes to 10 minutes, you could have added 2-3 more songs in the same time slot...

Even if my opinion doesn\'t mesh with yours, mine is still valid...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
Quote from: bdfreetuna;274140
I\'m pretty pissed they didn\'t spend an entire set covering The Doors.

haha!
Where to next?

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
your points are just assanine really.  2011 Breakfast doesn\'t play shorter songs so they can fill out the set more.  they could\'ve played longer if they took like 5 minute setbreaks, but given the circumstances, if you think those 30 somethings onstage didn\'t bust their asses off to give us a best possible send off show, you\'re out of your fuckin\' mind.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Not saying they didn\'t play hard...  My point is that when you play 2-1/2 hour 2 set shows, a 3 set show might be a little longer...  I can also prefer to hear WUIAC, The Chase, FBCC and QMATM, which would have all fit in the time they took to play Gravity...  Listening, it doesn\'t feel like a send off show...  

On a positive note, I\'m glad that they didn\'t waste any of the 3 hours on covers...  

And there was a Star Wars tease at the beginning of Reel Time and an Enchida\'s Arf tease in the Metropolis jam...  

Just saying...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
I\'ve seen enough the Chases.  and I assure you, I know you think TPalms\' songwriting went downhill after real radio, but there were many of us thankful for Good Things, Future Peek and Surreal Radio.  diff\'rent strokes.

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
Quote from: Yoda;274167

And there was a Star Wars tease at the beginning of Reel Time and an Enchida\'s Arf tease in the Metropolis jam...  

Thanks Yoda... there were a few things that went by that I missed let me know if you pick up on anything else
Where to next?

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
That Gravity was way better than all those songs would have been combined.

As for playing their songs shorter.... you should listen to the 3rd Stellas residency show... AWESOME versions of Hard Luck Harry and Mayfly both under or around 15 minutes

You can\'t have it "your way" every single time. What\'s nice about the band is that it\'s different every time, even if a lot of songs are shelved this year. And most of the fans appreciate that.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Quote from: bdfreetuna;274170
That Gravity was way better than all those songs would have been combined.

As for playing their songs shorter.... you should listen to the 3rd Stellas residency show... AWESOME versions of Hard Luck Harry and Mayfly both under or around 15 minutes

You can\'t have it "your way" every single time. What\'s nice about the band is that it\'s different every time, even if a lot of songs are shelved this year. And most of the fans appreciate that.

I completely understand that I can\'t have it my way and I\'ve been tagged the resident A!!hole on the site, but my point is that for a send-off show, it surely didn\'t feel like one...  To me, a send-off show is what The Band did with The Last Waltz; which is most resembled in the Stolen Equipment Benefit Show back in \'01...

I don\'t necessarily mind the 15 minute songs if they\'re spread out...

Also, I don\'t think fans appreciate the fact that songs are shelved, I do, however, belive that they accept it...   My point about songs left off, look at the heavy hitter originals that were left off the list:

Beef Barley, The Chase, EE 1&2, Frankly Po Zest, Garcian, TGSOT, Hard Luck Harry, TLATG > OE, Puppetry, Question Mark & The Mind, Rufus, See The Light, Taboo, Tribal Funk Affliction, WUIAC, ect...

I may be a debbie downer, but these are a talented bunch of musicians that I hate to see fade away...  If they are going to call it quits for now, then go all out for the send-off... That\'s all...

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
I think they captured the sentiment well enough w/o having to play their entire catalogue pre-2004.  although a FBCC to cap it off would\'ve been gravy.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Quote from: Igziabeher;274176
I think they captured the sentiment well enough w/o having to play their entire catalogue pre-2004.  although a FBCC to cap it off would\'ve been gravy.

What can I say, I like the early stuff...  Maybe one day TB will return to the Shark invested NJ waters...

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
The way I look at it the Stella Blues residency was pretty much part of their "send-off" and between all those shows they played a lot of material and played it as well as I\'ve ever seen them play especially four weeks in a row and especially weeks 2, 3, a 4 which were some of the best shows I can remember.

Knowing they were about to hiatus, they threw those Stellas Monday shows basically as a gift to the serious fans who would make it down there on a Monday... and everyone else could hear the recordings.

So I really don\'t care what they played for Daniel Street. I\'m just glad they played Drunk Monk Bar and Episode 1 (Happy) which were the 2 songs I was lobbying for anyway :D ... and also glad they fit these songs in before I had to leave the venue :/

Besides, Tim has hinted that this hiatus (note: hiatus, not the end of the band) might not be a long as we fear. If good things just need a little rest to get ready for the next 13 years... which we will see how true this ends up to be, then I guess I\'m all for it. Ok not ALL for it but I can accept it even though I doubt the entire band wanted to go on hiatus.. it is what it is.

So it\'s really just another halloween show with a bit of sentimentality mixed in. Was it their best show ever? Obviously not. Was it a damn good show? Most definitely.

I don\'t care if you complain about every little thing it\'s a free forum. I\'m not the only one here who doesn\'t mind arguing/debating these things with you so it\'s all good.

And I think we have bigger assholes around here than you so don\'t try and claim that title for yourself!

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
I\'m a big time fan of old school songs, but I gotta say some of the big highlights for me were Future Peek, Existential Funk and Surreal Radio. Matter of fact, Surreal Radio has been totally stuck in my head.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07