Author Topic: Why doesn\'t Tim or Adrian sing in Kung Fu??  (Read 13236 times)

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Why doesn\'t Tim or Adrian sing in Kung Fu??
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2011, 05:19:53 pm »
well that\'s too bad for you not every band tours nationally constantly

plenty of bands find regional success

I don\'t see why The Breakfast can\'t tour regionally and be fairly successful doing so.

There\'s plenty of bands that tour only the midwest or the west coast and are fairly successful doing so.

How about Melvin & JGB.. how often do they leave the west coast? They have a nice following and make decent money.

Bands like Dopapod from Boston are never gonna make it nationally and I\'m sure they don\'t care, they do plenty well around the northeast.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2011, 05:56:30 pm »
You can\'t see why The Breakfast can\'t just tour regionally and be fairly successful? Dude they\'ve been doing that for the past 5 yes 5 years and still are not that successful even in their home region. They have a limited setlist playing the same shitholes and yeah they may be happy and great for them but do you see Jordan quitting his job or The Breakfast having any gigs booked past Friday? Kung Fu is way more successful at the moment and most likely the future. Sure The Breakfast will play again but won\'t touch the success Kung Fu will or even what they once had. It sux but it\'s true unless some serious changes happen in The Breakfast\'s business model plain and simple.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
    • http://
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2011, 06:50:31 pm »
Quote from: leith;273882
This hiatus is long overdue as the foot they keep shooting holes through needs to heal.

you best be careful or you also will be told to go fuck yourself.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2011, 08:10:47 pm »
why is it assumed that Kung Fu is this massive ball of success that\'s gonna blow thru the country?  More power to them if it happens, but they have yet to do anything the Breakfast hasn\'t already.  Ooh, they\'re new and different.  

And how do playing regional Breakfast shows affect anything to do with Kung Fu?  Sorry, you can\'t make it Leith, but plenty of people still are getting their minds opened by the Breakfast up here every time they play around.  

So the Breakfast cuts into Kung Fu, but Timmy Tour and Beatles A to Z is a nonfactor?  If the whole debt issue is a problem, I really don\'t see what playing a few gigs every couple months at venues they usually kill at is gonna negatively affect that.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2011, 11:03:29 pm »
I think if The Breakfast really focused on The Breakfast and had good management and smart booking, in a couple years they could have as many fans as Lotus (which isn\'t really a long shot) and play bigger venues around the northeast... places like Toads, Pearl Street Ballroom, and easily pack The Red Square, Higher Ground, Middle East, Tammany Hall

places like Max Capacity in Chicopee Mass
http://newmaximumcapacity.com/

these shows would probably sell out or at least pack em in because most fans in the Northeast are willing to drive a couple hours in any direction on any given weekend.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2011, 01:18:52 am »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;273889
I think if The Breakfast really focused on The Breakfast and had good management and smart booking, in a couple years they could have as many fans as Lotus (which isn\'t really a long shot) and play bigger venues around the northeast... places like Toads, Pearl Street Ballroom, and easily pack The Red Square, Higher Ground, Middle East, Tammany Hall

places like Max Capacity in Chicopee Mass
http://newmaximumcapacity.com/

these shows would probably sell out or at least pack em in because most fans in the Northeast are willing to drive a couple hours in any direction on any given weekend.

sigh

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2011, 06:36:09 am »
Be serious Tuna. Of course if the band got serious abt The Breakfast good management may show interest. It\'s not going to happen. They have had numerous chances and like the past five years have always taken the easy route and there is no reason to think it will change. If someone has a good idea and they didn\'t think of it it\'s not that great an idea is what I have gathered from their clown shoes business model. Oh and let them tell me to fuck off its their livelihood they fuck up not mine.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2011, 09:45:10 am »
They are getting older, it\'s not as easy to take risks like it was when you\'re 19
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

ChrisF

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2011, 11:14:11 am »
Quote from: Vassillios;273899
They are getting older, it\'s not as easy to take risks like it was when you\'re 19

since this thread wont stay on topic anyway...

the biggest risk they took was trying to continue on without releasing any albums or EPs or anything else. they drew the largest crowds when they were releasing albums every couple years. technology has made it much easier to self produce an album since real radio and moxie epoxy were released.

there should have been an album made when matt oestreicher was in the band, maybe he wouldnt have thought they were going nowhere and he would have stayed in the band so they could have continued to tour. there definitely should have been a studio release with chris deangelis. its a shame to see all those great songs that have been debuted since 2009 going to waste without having a studio recording done. an EP or two at the very least. i think the fans deserved it and it would have also gotten them on satellite/internet radio.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2011, 11:29:42 am »
The band started as a bar band with their HS fiends coming to see them...  Those friends branched out to college and the music was spread.  College gigs were abundant and they grew...  They released their best original music on Deuce...  Momentum was growing...  They won the jammy... Momentum continued to grow...  They changed their name - time to start the momentum all over again...  Jordan left the band and they had to tour as a trio - time to build momentum again...  Matt joined the band and momentum rolled on... Matt left the band, back to the trio and time to rebuild the momentum...  Ron left the band, enter Chris - start it all over again...  Rumors flew that Stoops was going to join the band or at least be a long term temporary solution to the lack of keys.  That lasted for a week at most...  Jorand re-joined the band - no touring...  Add to the fact that the HS/College fans were growing up, moving out of the area and starting families and you now have 1/2 your fanbase and you have to start all over again...  Add KF into the mix and they\'re gaining some success...  TB isn\'t a driving force...

Here\'s another added theory... Tim was the main driving force behind new originals...  After Reel Radio, the originals took a nose dive... Is it possible that Tim just ran out of material and now the rest of the band had to pick up the slack???

I love what this band was, but I have always said that if they didn\'t play their cards right, that they were going to be just another Max Creek...  The difference being, Max Creek draws...  You\'re not talking about mainstream music, so you\'re not going to win over mass appeal from fans...  With that many changes to the band and then all the side projects, it no wonder that these guys are going on hiatus...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2011, 11:38:38 am »
its not easy to be successful clearly.  don\'t ask me why lotus got such a big following in the past few years cuz they aren\'t even that great.  raq started to get some success and it all fizzled out, same goes for brothers past.  its a shame that quality bands like those fall through the cracks, but its a tough business and shit happens.  i\'m just thankful i\'ve got to spend the last 10 years seeing the breakfast as much as i can, cuz i\'m proud to be part of the best fanbase for the best band ever.  if no one else caught on, oh well, but no band will ever do for me what the breakfast has done and i\'m just glad to have been a part of it all.

Max Creek doesn\'t draw shit first of all.  and secondly moxie epoxy has songs ten times better than real radio, and thirdly dangle\'s songwriting has been some of the best the band has brought out since Deuce, so I understand your sentiment, but some of those facts are a little off.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 11:38:38 am by Igziabeher »

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2011, 11:50:57 am »
Quote from: Igziabeher;273902
its not easy to be successful clearly.  don\'t ask me why lotus got such a big following in the past few years cuz they aren\'t even that great.  raq started to get some success and it all fizzled out, same goes for brothers past.  its a shame that quality bands like those fall through the cracks, but its a tough business and shit happens.  i\'m just thankful i\'ve got to spend the last 10 years seeing the breakfast as much as i can, cuz i\'m proud to be part of the best fanbase for the best band ever.  if no one else caught on, oh well, but no band will ever do for me what the breakfast has done and i\'m just glad to have been a part of it all.

Max Creek doesn\'t draw shit first of all.  and secondly moxie epoxy has songs ten times better than real radio, and thirdly dangle\'s songwriting has been some of the best the band has brought out since Deuce, so I understand your sentiment, but some of those facts are a little off.

Max Creek may not draw as much now, but they did when PB was on a roll and there were definitely parrallels between the two...

As for Reel Radio vs Moxie Epoxy, that\'s a matter of opinion...  But Reel Radio actual has songs that are radio-friendly, which could reach more than some show in bumblefuck New England town in New Hampshire...

The bulk of creative writing came from 2002 or earlier...  Yeah, Chris wrote a couple songs and Matt wrote a couple songs, but once Tim stopped writing songs at a maddening pace, the studio albums stopped (and don\'t count a live EP that was only released on the internet)...  I loved what this band was, but for the past 2-3 years, they\'ve been a shell of their former selves... Just stale...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2011, 12:05:43 pm »
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2011, 12:24:06 pm »
I don\'t think the (Psychedelic) Breakfast were ever looking to be a radio friendly band.  The Grateful Dead and Phish didn\'t become successful by being radio friendly.  Nor did WSP, moe., SCI, or the Disco Biscuits.  If the key to their success was writing 4 minute radio friendly songs than that ship had sailed a long time ago.

Why they stopped making new albums? I don\'t know for sure, but I\'m sure its along the same lines as why they don\'t tour outside of the Northeast anymore.  Selling a couple discs per show won\'t even pay for what it costs to produce the album in the first place.

and have you even been to a show in the past couple years, yoda?  i know you got a wife and kids and that part time job at home despot, but to say what they\'ve been doing is stale is complete bullshit.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:24:06 pm by Igziabeher »

ChrisF

« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2011, 12:51:41 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;273909
I don\'t think the (Psychedelic) Breakfast were ever looking to be a radio friendly band.  The Grateful Dead and Phish didn\'t become successful by being radio friendly.  Nor did WSP, moe., SCI, or the Disco Biscuits.  If the key to their success was writing 4 minute radio friendly songs than that ship had sailed a long time ago.

Why they stopped making new albums? I don\'t know for sure, but I\'m sure its along the same lines as why they don\'t tour outside of the Northeast anymore.  Selling a couple discs per show won\'t even pay for what it costs to produce the album in the first place.

and have you even been to a show in the past couple years, yoda?  i know you got a wife and kids and that part time job at home despot, but to say what they\'ve been doing is stale is complete bullshit.

its not the money, because adrian/matt self produced the vessel and kung fu/matt v/tim walsh did the kung fu album. a breakfast album or EPs could have been done the same way, but obviously it wasnt worth their time getting together to work on one because they never did it. its not like 10 years ago when vic steffens was their only option. every other band is self producing their own stuff in protools now. the breakfast are good enough to mix by ear on their own without going to an overpriced studio with an engineer that would put them further into  debt.

a new studio release would generate more excitement for the band in general and give them something to hype up for a few months prior to the release and a reason to be in relix or jambase in the news, because those people arent going to write about them for just another random bfast show at sullys
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:59:05 pm by ChrisF »