Author Topic: Setlist: 2011-09-12 - Stella Blues; New Haven, CT  (Read 9489 times)

Ren

• what?
Setlist: 2011-09-12 - Stella Blues; New Haven, CT
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 10:16:10 am »
um, i don\'t feel that ANYONE can really sing that song very well.  i\'m gonna have to agree....with leith on this one (that\'s twice in two weeks might i add ;).  when i heard that they were playing this song again i had to go back and listen to the toad\'s halloween version, and the thought the music was great, the singing was much weaker than i remember it.  then i heard a new version of it and the music obviously much better given the time that\'s gone by, but the vocals still made me cringe.  there\'s certain notes that ron and chris come really close to hitting, but just can\'t.  it\'s nothing against them, they just can\'t, shit, i consider myself a pretty good mimic, and i can\'t quite get there without my voice cracking or going silent.  i thought chris had some parts that were sung very well.  it just seems that if you change how certain parts are sung it just wouldn\'t sound right.  i guess we are forced to deal with a few "unreachable" notes and be rewarded with really great playing.  i love seeing a band play a cover so well that they truly make it their own.
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 10:37:52 am »
I\'ve heard Dangle do SyncII 3 times now and he kills it. He has to try really hard to do it and he puts 110% into it. Makes for such an intense performance. I think the guy\'s got a great voice.

Dangle SyncII vox > Sting SyncII vox
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 11:38:01 am »
For Sync II if you were in the room, it killed, vocals included. I\'m not even that crazy about the song.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

Ren

• what?
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 01:38:33 pm »
I think he has a great voice, and the sound at Stella\'s makes ALL their voices sound GREAT.  Jen and I were talking about that after last week\'s show.  He does a good job with it, it\'s a hard song to sing, it gets a passing grade, not an A.
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 04:16:38 pm »
Quote from: bonzo;272762
Ya im with tuna leith get out of town dangle fo sure ownes that song from start to finish

I think tuna has a glass of kool-aid for ya.

Quote from: zuke583;272763
Quote from: bonzo;272762
Ya im with tuna leith get out of town dangle fo sure ownes that song from start to finish

agreed. i think chris\' vocals on synchronicity are some of the best breakfast vocals. what flavor is the haterade, leith?

Patchouli

Quote from: Ren;272767
um, i don\'t feel that ANYONE can really sing that song very well.  i\'m gonna have to agree....with leith on this one (that\'s twice in two weeks might i add ;).  when i heard that they were playing this song again i had to go back and listen to the toad\'s halloween version, and the thought the music was great, the singing was much weaker than i remember it.  then i heard a new version of it and the music obviously much better given the time that\'s gone by, but the vocals still made me cringe.  there\'s certain notes that ron and chris come really close to hitting, but just can\'t.  it\'s nothing against them, they just can\'t, shit, i consider myself a pretty good mimic, and i can\'t quite get there without my voice cracking or going silent.  i thought chris had some parts that were sung very well.  it just seems that if you change how certain parts are sung it just wouldn\'t sound right.  i guess we are forced to deal with a few "unreachable" notes and be rewarded with really great playing.  i love seeing a band play a cover so well that they truly make it their own.

Exactly the playing is spot on and untouchable but the singing not so much. Same with Ron and some of the covers he would sing.
Quote from: bdfreetuna;272768
I\'ve heard Dangle do SyncII 3 times now and he kills it. He has to try really hard to do it and he puts 110% into it. Makes for such an intense performance. I think the guy\'s got a great voice.

That is a joke. Ok now I know you\'re not just drinking the kool-aid but making barrels.

Quote from: Ren;272774
I think he has a great voice, and the sound at Stella\'s makes ALL their voices sound GREAT.  Jen and I were talking about that after last week\'s show.  He does a good job with it, it\'s a hard song to sing, it gets a passing grade, not an A.

I have to agree with that. I like his singing a lot( Where the fuck is Reel Time? ) and have to give the A for effort and having the balls to try and sing it in the first place.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

frolfer

• breakfast geek
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 06:07:05 pm »
I\'m not a huge Police fan but Dangle handled it so well. I was most pleasantly surprised. To each his own.
Painted wind and sound, sun and all the clouds, oohooh

KEN RAFLOWITZ

• Weird Ken Yankodic
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:23:45 pm by KEN RAFLOWITZ »

phish4breakfast

• Spreading Chrimbus Cheer
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 10:28:02 pm »
I watched pretty much the whole show on ustream..... thanks so much for putting that up guys it was great.

Ex funk and grand scheme had to of been some of the greatest jams ive seen in a long time.... seriously

Wish I could be going to these shows, my buddy Artie was there on his 23rd birthday, told me it was awesome. I love WTF, so pissed I missed it

I still think the tammany hall show in march was the best this year, but that may be based on personal experience

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 01:23:05 am »
Quote from: leith;272782
Quote from: bdfreetuna;272768

That is a joke. Ok now I know you\'re not just drinking the kool-aid but making barrels

Barrels of electric cool-aid? Sounds like GOTV 2008. You might want to start with just half a dixie cup :lol:
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising