Author Topic: everybody ok up there??  (Read 2390 times)

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
everybody ok up there??
« on: August 29, 2011, 10:15:07 am »
looks like CT and VT got the worst of irene, you all ok?

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
everybody ok up there??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:39:52 am »
guess i made out on the lucky end... never lost power.  there was a danger of evacuation on our street due to the rising river levels but they never breached the road level.  we have a collection pond in the back of our apartment buildings that i was afraid was going to overflow as well.  worst thing that happened was there was about knee deep worth of water in the basement where people store their stuff, weight room and laundry room.  the levels disappated pretty quickly once the rain stopped...
how\'d everyone else make out?
Where to next?

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
everybody ok up there??
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 12:26:01 pm »
Natick, MA:

[ ] Storm delivers
  • Storm does not deliver

No loss of power, no flooding in buildings, no flooding anywhere I need to go. The only hurricane prep I did was to pick a strategic parking spot that was not located under a tree.  That\'s all I had to do.  Sure enough, a large hunk of tree crushed car in another part of the complex.  But overall nothing really happened here at all.

jking

• thanks!!
everybody ok up there??
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 01:26:41 pm »
that\'s good to hear. i had one small branch fall, but it landed on my pile of other branches/lawn crap to be taken away, so it was actually rather ideal...

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
everybody ok up there??
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 04:26:12 am »
Good to hear all is well over there - looked pretty messy from the news broadcasst over here.
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
everybody ok up there??
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 11:45:09 am »
We are now day 3 of no power and the Town/Police/Fire Depts are all completely useless

So About 5AM Sunday morning a tree came down across the street from my apt. Needless to say it scared the shyte out of us as we were up. Heard the CRACK, then the flash of brilliant light and then no lights.

The tree took out the lines which cracked and broke the utility pole in half. The top half had the transformers on it. 2 smashed to ground and the others were dangling. the top half of the pole and the connections to my apt and my neighbors business are all dangling. The top part of the pole is dangling on wires hanging over the street. We got to watch catch fire from the live wires. So I called the police no emergency line. They said they would check it out, 40 minutes later nothing so I call the fire dept. they seem disinterested as well but say they\'ll check it out. 40 minutes later they sent someone who couldn\'t be bothered to get out of their truck to look.

So that was Sunday - Monday. Monday morning the NYSEG truck is gone, no repairs at all. The pole is still dangling over 117 (which is the one major way in to town) and the wires block all traffic (It is supposed to anyway). So there is a pole hanging and wires down, they have signs saying road closed on either end of my block. What do the COMPLETE FUCKING ASSHOLES IN MY TOWN DO ? They cannot be fucking bothered to actually follow directions. They have been driving around the barriers only to get to my place and realize the only way to go is either back or over the lines that are hanging off my place. We have had to rebuild the barriers and stop people from driving over the lines numerous times. Last night when it was pitch black there are no working street lights and people are blowing the barrier. They would get to about 10 feet before locking their brakes up in front of the lines. So i call the cops and tell them that people are blowing the barriers and there have been almost 4 or 5 bad accidents. THEY DON"T FUCKING CARE. I am hoping someone gets hurt bad so I can go out there and hand them my info and tell them that the town has been notified numerous times of the hazard and has completely ignored it.

They have the commuters walking over down power lines to get to the train. No police ANYWHERE directing traffic with all the lights out etc. I haven\'t seen a cop or a town worker at all.

i live in a really upscale town. I\'ll tell you what, I was never one to own a weapon but considering this tiny storm has people acting the way they do and the supposed "town or local officials" are no where to be seen you are so on your own. If this were a really bad storm or situation I couldn\'t imagine what it would be like.

People fucking suck.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

frolfer

• breakfast geek
everybody ok up there??
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 07:13:04 pm »
Wow Mike, people are freaking crazy. I hope everything is getting straightened out  over there.

My girlfriend and I had been planning on going to the Adirondacks this last weekend for months. On friday we check online and the park basically was shutting down all of the trails. The lodge near Mt. Marcy stayed open, but hiking and camping was not going to happen so we decided to go west and camped at Allegheny State Park and had a beautiful weekend.

We just got back and checked online only to find out that there are 30 people still trapped at the lodge!!! The road going up there got washed out and as of now they are still there. We dodged a serious bullet.

Hope everyone is safe and has power. :peace:
Painted wind and sound, sun and all the clouds, oohooh

SkyePrizm

• separator
everybody ok up there??
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 05:08:17 pm »
Finally got power back after 72 hours of going crazy in the dark, which included a minor fire in my house caused by a candle wall fixture.  You know, they sell these things to hang on the walls with tea lights and you would think they would be safe.   but anyways, no...i was very lucky to have a fire extinguisher in the house before the whole wall caught on fire (part of it did).  I was overcome by smoke and such, and the firemen were all very nice to me :)

My grandmother had her 46 year old Pine Tree that was larger than her house, a christmas tree my grandfather planted when they first moved into that house in east haven, come crashing into her house.  By some crazy weird fate, the tree did not go through the house, it just sort of rested there, almost hugging the house.  Stayed with her for the first night or so cause i was worried that the tree would eventually fall into the house.  It didn\'t.   And we had it removed yesterday by a lovely tree crew.  Currently, she needs new gutters and part of her roof repaired....  

She overall was very lucky compared to other people in East Haven, the ones by the beach.   My heart goes out to those who lost their entire homes.  I was down there on Monday and it was enough to break your heart.  Even things in the community like the Silver Sands Beach Club are completely gone.    Very sad.   Every time I wanted to bitch about being in the dark, I would sit there and remember how those people are really suffering.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:18:34 pm by SkyePrizm »

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
everybody ok up there??
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 06:08:42 pm »
Quote from: jking;272289

Have you not seen the flooding pictures from Passaic County, NJ...  Obama is coming to tour Paterson on Sunday...  Areas had 12 feet of water in homes and parts of 23 and 287 collapsed making impossible to travel...

Maybe in New England, CT and VT got hit, but go to NJ.com and take a look at the flood pics...

http://photos.nj.com/4504/gallery/aerial_flood_photos_from_across_nj_/index.html

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:08:42 pm by Yoda »
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
everybody ok up there??
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 10:40:57 am »
Quote from: Yoda;272343
Quote from: jking;272289

Have you not seen the flooding pictures from Passaic County, NJ...  Obama is coming to tour Paterson on Sunday...  Areas had 12 feet of water in homes and parts of 23 and 287 collapsed making impossible to travel...

Maybe in New England, CT and VT got hit, but go to NJ.com and take a look at the flood pics...

http://photos.nj.com/4504/gallery/aerial_flood_photos_from_across_nj_/index.html

Perspective, I has it now.

Seriously tho that is nuts. We still have no power, but we do have water. I have been without both before and no water is the worst. My mom in essex is still w/o power and my Dad in MA has no power or H2O. Supposedly we will have power back by 10PM tomorrow.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19