Poll

When will Kung Fu stop being considered a "side project"?

dont consider them a side project
13 (52%)
ever! Viva La Breakfast
4 (16%)
hen The Breakfast makes an \"official\" announcement that they are taking a hiatus
2 (8%)
hut the fuck up Gencs! You are an idiot!
6 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: When Will Kung Fu Stopped Being Considered A "Side Project"???  (Read 10089 times)

peaches626

When Will Kung Fu Stopped Being Considered A "Side Project"???
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 09:51:45 am »
Psychedelic Breakfast peak\'d about 1 show before SteveGencs starting working for them, and he is all derriere-hurt.

Get out of here, yoko!!
taints rule, gypsies drool!

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 10:01:25 am »
Quote from: Stephengencs;272051
Lets call a spade a spade here....and I give Bonsall so much credit for doing what he\'s done with Breakfest, but a keg party in the woods is not a festival....Will it ever grow into an actual festival, I believe Andrew has the vision and now with a couple years behind him, potentially the ability to make it a real festival....first thing would be getting it at an acutual festival friendly site.  Its hard to sell tickets to a venue that has no real automobile access....

Wrong. It was definitely an "actual festival". There\'s no way you can be giving Bonsall credit and say otherwise. It was pretty kick-ass. Definitely the high point of my summer. You should have been there, brother. Hope to see you up there next year. Hopefully there will be way more people and look a lot more like whatever you would consider "real". Bonsall has some ser plans for this festival in the future.

FWIW, I\'ve been to a lot of fests (including Coventry) that were harder to drive into than Breakfest.

Too late to change my vote to shup up, Gencs? ;)
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 10:02:04 am »
Quote from: Stephengencs;272055
Quote from: kindm\'s;272054

This is kind of silly to debate.

all the bullshit ive seen and written on this board and THIS is a silly debate?

Well it is kind of like if you opened another store.

Would we be saying that the old store is just a side project, that you spend all your time in the new store, and since you seem to always spend your time at the new store the old store is just nostalgia ? The old store doesn\'t make you as much money as the new store so......

These are all projects (kung fu, breakfast, a-z, good time boys, solo etc etc) some are better money makers than others, some are more fun than others it is what it is.

Just like you would be able to focus on multiple stores in this example, the guys in the breakfast are able to juggle multiple projects and devout the attention necessary to make ends meet.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 10:11:55 am »
I have spoken with Bonsall about the future of Breakfest and I am excited for him.........

Here\'s a good hypothetical situation for you......what if Kung Fu had a tour or offer to do some shows that would provide them with the best exposure they have ever had to date, yet if they accepted it, it would mean that there could be no fonghoulish freakout?  There would be a lot of whining and crying out here in .infoland.....I am sure of that.....
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

peaches626

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 10:18:15 am »
so what brah? people wanna hear the music they like. if people like the breakfast let em whine n cry all they want. my .02
just sayin\'
gwtfp
ead
etc...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:18:32 am by peaches626 »
taints rule, gypsies drool!

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 10:20:02 am »
Quote from: Stephengencs;272059

Here\'s a good hypothetical situation for you......what if Kung Fu had a tour or offer to do some shows that would provide them with the best exposure they have ever had to date, yet if they accepted it, it would mean that there could be no fonghoulish freakout?  There would be a lot of whining and crying out here in .infoland.....I am sure of that.....

I think this has already reared its head with the 10/29 Fu gig at Mill St. on the horizon,  not that a Freakout couldn\'t happen on the Friday night, the weekend before or the weekend after... but I would guess that there is already some speculation that this might be the case?

And I agree with you Gencs, there would be (I\'ll call them) opinions if it didn\'t occur.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:22:54 am by simpletwistupdon »
Where to next?

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 10:30:31 am »
I have spoken with Bonsall about the future of Breakfest and I am excited for him.........

Of course I\'d bitch about it but it\'s not the end of the world. No Breakfast for NYE last year was worse than that.

Also, I\'m not sure if Kung Fu really has so much "mass appeal" anyway. Will there really be more Kung Fu fans than Breakfast fans? I\'m not talking about Facebook "likes", I mean like fans who will actually tour and keep seeing the band.

IMO it would be smart to keep The Breakfast alive and well in case Kung Fu doesn\'t exactly shoot to the moon. So far they\'re still playing the same venues The Breakfast would play. A small tour out west. Some nice festival gigs thanks to Kroop and their mutual connections. Similar or sometimes smaller crowds than The Breakfast gets in venues around the northeast.

If you want to call a spade, a spade?
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 10:39:33 am »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;272062

Of course I\'d bitch about it but it\'s not the end of the world. No Breakfast for NYE last year was worse than that.

Also, I\'m not sure if Kung Fu really has so much "mass appeal" anyway. Will there really be more Kung Fu fans than Breakfast fans? I\'m not talking about Facebook "likes", I mean like fans who will actually tour and keep seeing the band.

IMO it would be smart to keep The Breakfast alive and well in case Kung Fu doesn\'t exactly shoot to the moon. So far they\'re still playing the same venues The Breakfast would play. A small tour out west. Some nice festival gigs thanks to Kroop and their mutual connections. Similar or sometimes smaller crowds than The Breakfast gets in venues around the northeast.

Not sure if this is a spade or a club or just a bizzle, but there were as many people (if not more) for Kung Fu boat in Boston the day before the last Toads show...it was also rainy and miserable that night on the boat.......and the breakfast are playing a monday night residency in their 13th year in their home town at the same venue that kung fu was born a little over a year ago.....what direction are we moving in?  AND BELIEVE ME, I AM FUCKING ECSTATIC THAT THERE ARE 4 BREAKFAST SHOWS IN THE BACKYARD NEXT MONTH....spade, club, bizzle....you make the call
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

DiG728

• COME ON!!
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 10:48:30 am »
I don\'t see Kung Fu as a side project at all.  Maybe when they were first formed they could have been considered that, but now that they play more and bigger shows than the Breakfast it\'s impossible to not consider them a legit band.

But it\'s not something that really upsets me.  Yes, of course every time there\'s a new show put up here I hope it\'s the Breakfast but more times than not it\'s Kung Fu.  I do love the Fu, I just love the Breakfast more.  The way I look at it, it\'s normal for band members to have a lot of other projects/bands they\'re involved in.  Someone brought up Soulive on here and they are a prime example.  Also, look at Marco Benevento.  These people are all in 3 or more different acts.

So while I wish that the Breakfast were out playing more, I am happy for the guys that Kung Fu is doing well.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2011, 10:58:19 am »
Quote from: Stephengencs;272064
Quote from: bdfreetuna;272062

Not sure if this is a spade or a club or just a bizzle, but there were as many people (if not more) for Kung Fu boat in Boston the day before the last Toads show...it was also rainy and miserable that night on the boat.......and the breakfast are playing a monday night residency in their 13th year in their home town at the same venue that kung fu was born a little over a year ago.....what direction are we moving in?  AND BELIEVE ME, I AM FUCKING ECSTATIC THAT THERE ARE 4 BREAKFAST SHOWS IN THE BACKYARD NEXT MONTH....spade, club, bizzle....you make the call

Are they really that much more popular or is it simple mathematics ?

The biggest thing Kung Fu has going for it is the fact that they can draw on atleast 4 well established fan bases. Deep Banana Blackout, raq, scofield/jazz is dead and the breakfast. Lets not kid ourselves, Rob Somerville has been a fixture in the area for a LONG time. Add Kroop in the mix and there is a solid team with great connections. The Breakfast NEVER had that ever. Kung Fu is a well oiled machine at an early point in their existence because everyone in that band has been through it before. Lets just hope that Kung Fu spurs some interest in the Breakfast or any other projects the guys want to do.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Whineberg

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 11:31:41 am »
This is not a silly debate for this board at all. I like the Rob and Deep Banana analogy. What do you say to that???

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 12:27:27 pm »
do deep banana even play more than 2 shows a year?  (vibes and turkey day)

Whineberg

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 12:44:12 pm »
So, is DBB the side project? Maybe they\'re all side projects.

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2011, 12:53:37 pm »
Quote from: Whineberg;272068
This is not a silly debate for this board at all.

I agree.  We\'ve had waaaaaay more ridiculous debates on here.

To be honest, as long as all parties involved (members of the breakfast and kung fu) are happy, who really cares what we label them as? I am just glad there is good live music in the new haven area to attend when I get inclined to.  
And I appreciate what members of both bands bring to the table.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:57:07 pm by SkyePrizm »

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2011, 01:00:09 pm »
Wasn\'t the boat cruise a Dopapod / Kung Fu boat cruise?

Dopapod is at least as popular as Kung Fu. In fact they are the headliners at Mill Street gig and the main reason why I\'m probably going to go.

Just sayin\'.. I bet it was a lot of Dopapod fans... Having Tim / Rob / Stoops in the band makes for some initial interest I\'m sure but it might take a while for Kung Fu to grow a real (hardcore) fanbase like The Breakfast has.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:15:58 pm by bdfreetuna »