Poll

When will Kung Fu stop being considered a "side project"?

dont consider them a side project
13 (52%)
ever! Viva La Breakfast
4 (16%)
hen The Breakfast makes an \"official\" announcement that they are taking a hiatus
2 (8%)
hut the fuck up Gencs! You are an idiot!
6 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: When Will Kung Fu Stopped Being Considered A "Side Project"???  (Read 10084 times)

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
When Will Kung Fu Stopped Being Considered A "Side Project"???
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 08:18:37 pm »
I\'m all for Kung Fu having the best of luck and a lot of our fanbase has made the move accordingly, but call us selfish or what you wanna call it, so long as there is 1 Breakfast show on the calendar ahead, then that will always be my favorite band to see in any capacity.  This board does not exist sans the Breakfast, these 200 or so friends we have do not happen w/o the Breakfast and the 10+ years of memories at Breakfast shows will always be a part of me.  So more power to Kung Fu, they\'re clearly not a sideproject, but as long as I see 1 single Breakfast show upcoming, I\'m proud to be a Breakfast fan first and foremost.  Does playing a couple gigs every few months put them in dire straits esp when those shows are no further than NH to the north, Utica to the West and PA to the South?  I really doubt it.  You could argue that Timmy Tour is Tim\'s main gig since he probably plays more TT shows in a year than Kung Fu, Breakfast or A to Z, and granted, neither of those alone are making him rich, but on the brightside its given him a means to survive doing what he does best, and I\'ll support him(and the rest of the band) in anything they do forward.

Quote from: Stephengencs;272025
But does the love of 200 hard core fans make it worth continuing to play shows where they are constantly losing money, detracting from Tim and Adrian\'s commitment to Kung Fu and Chris DeAngelis from growing with and/or discovering a project that he wants to pursue??????  All things must past folks.....do we really want the Breakfast to be known as the most unsuccessful nostalgia act in music history? cause thats where they are headed......

secondly, where\'s the evidence to back these numbers up?  did the breakfast lose money playing The Big Up or Breakfest or what have you?  I\'m sure they lost money touring like they did back in 2004-2007, but how exactly can they lose money playing once every couple months to(besides that one toad\'s show) relatively solid crowds.  

thirdly, who gives a fuck what kinda legacy the band leaves to a bunch of people who were never there to experience it?  if you\'re too busy putting labels on what became or what could\'ve been to just stand in front of the stage and bask in the greatness that being a psychedelic breakfast/ the breakfast fan is all about, then i question your motive mr. gencarelli.  when did we ever give a rats ass what anyone outside of our closeknit group ever thought of us?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:18:37 pm by Igziabeher »

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 08:18:57 pm »
Igz, I completely 100% agree with you.....
and I am proud to be a fan of the most unsuccessful nostalgia acts in the history of music......and the conundrum there, is that how can you be a nostalgia act if you aren\'t successful?
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 08:24:57 pm »
I really don\'t think they\'re a nostalgia act quite yet.  shit just look at the songs they\'ve written in the past couple years, they can still slay w/ the best of them.  Max Creek is an unsuccessful nostalgia band.  Breakfast is just an under the radar blip that didn\'t happen to 99.99% of music fans, but was the best time of our lives to the .01% of us.  So long as Timmy is pumping out jams like Silver Bullet, then we\'re not quite a nostalgia act yet.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 08:26:47 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;272034

But does the love of 200 hard core fans make it worth continuing to play shows where they are constantly losing money, detracting from Tim and Adrian\'s commitment to Kung Fu and Chris DeAngelis from growing with and/or discovering a project that he wants to pursue??????  All things must past folks.....do we really want the Breakfast to be known as the most unsuccessful nostalgia act in music history? cause thats where they are headed......

secondly, where\'s the evidence to back these numbers up?  did the breakfast lose money playing The Big Up or Breakfest or what have you?  I\'m sure they lost money touring like they did back in 2004-2007, but how exactly can they lose money playing once every couple months to(besides that one toad\'s show) relatively solid crowds.  

thirdly, who gives a fuck what kinda legacy the band leaves to a bunch of people who were never there to experience it?  if you\'re too busy putting labels on what became or what could\'ve been to just stand in front of the stage and bask in the greatness that being a psychedelic breakfast/ the breakfast fan is all about, then i question your motive mr. gencarelli.  when did we ever give a rats ass what anyone outside of our closeknit group ever thought of us?

NUMBERS???? are you ser?  here is all the numbers you need.....13 years as a band.....not drawing over 500 (consistently ever) people anywhere with the exception of some festivals.........
all bandmembers are over 30 and NEED to make more than 50 to 200 a show in order to sustain living....Why play a breakfast show for a hundge or two or when you could take a gig making twice thrice or quadruple that????well we know why they do it.......and thats why we love them....but how long must they have to endure.....just for our selfishness?  again, I am just playing devils advocate here and throwing shit up there.......i love the breakfast...i love this "family".......
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 08:33:46 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs;272038
Quote from: Igziabeher;272034

NUMBERS???? are you ser?  here is all the numbers you need.....13 years as a band.....not drawing over 500 (consistently ever) people anywhere with the exception of some festivals.........
all bandmembers are over 30 and NEED to make more than 50 to 200 a show in order to sustain living....Why play a breakfast show for a hundge or two or when you could take a gig making twice thrice or quadruple that????well we know why they do it.......and thats why we love them....but how long must they have to endure.....just for our selfishness?  again, I am just playing devils advocate here and throwing shit up there.......i love the breakfast...i love this "family".......

I never paid attention to the business end of things, and yes they have lost lots of money in the past, but Tim plays on par 6 nights a week and I doubt he\'s getting more money playing Anna Liffey\'s on a Tuesday than the Breakfast at the Big Up on a Friday.  I can\'t speak for the band, but does playing a show here and there on a free night detract from their ability to earn money with Kung Fu?  If Kung Fu sets off on their first real tour and end up making as little as the Breakfast did doing similar tours 5 years ago, does that make them a bad business decision as well?  I just don\'t see how "our selfishness" is fucking up their ability to earn money if they continue to book residencies with the Breakfast.  We\'re not the ones who booked them on 2 residencies this year.  They did.  Clearly they want to play as the Breakfast too or else they\'d drop it alltogether.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 08:46:05 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;272040

I never paid attention to the business end of things, and yes they have lost lots of money in the past, but Tim plays on par 6 nights a week and I doubt he\'s getting more money playing Anna Liffey\'s on a Tuesday than the Breakfast at the Big Up on a Friday.  I can\'t speak for the band, but does playing a show here and there on a free night detract from their ability to earn money with Kung Fu?  If Kung Fu sets off on their first real tour and end up making as little as the Breakfast did doing similar tours 5 years ago, does that make them a bad business decision as well?  I just don\'t see how "our selfishness" is fucking up their ability to earn money if they continue to book residencies with the Breakfast.  We\'re not the ones who booked them on 2 residencies this year.  They did.  Clearly they want to play as the Breakfast too or else they\'d drop it alltogether.

First off, I believe, if Tim put all of his "artistic" time into Kung Fu, the need for him to play the same circuit of new haven bars, with the same songs hes been playing for almost a decade (and the first 3-5 years of timmy tour was its creative peak. The rest is fluff cash in my opinion. Period...)  Secondly, one of the defining characteristics of TPalms is the fact that he is so connected and bonded to his fans...so much that he practacally had to get a restraining order in me in 04/05......he wont abandon us......but i think we owe it to him, to say, hey tim......we can take a break from the breakfast and in return you can focus on your main group and give ALL your creative efforts to the project that 4 others of your respected peers and fellow artists have decided to devote their current LIVELYHOODS to.....again...this is me just spiffballing...starting trouble....but i think there is a point in all my bullshit.....and thats why im here fleshing it out with the bfam brethren...

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 08:54:39 pm »
Basically what your saying is we should all set him free?  Like the Sting song?

Give him 100% of his time towards Kung Fu for whatever "artistic" needs he has.  The way I see it, Tim owes us nothing, he just likes to play music.  And if Kung Fu plays 3 or 4 nights a week at most, I guarantee he\'ll find a way to play out those other 3 or 2 nights a week.  Are the other members of KF complaining about Tim\'s tendencies to play every night possible?  Do they know this man is not human?  Doesn\'t Adrian still give lessons to kids during the days?  Does that negatively affect his "creative" time with Kung Fu as well?

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 09:40:40 pm »
The Breakfast are still playing Breakfast shows because they want to. Over the past 10 years or so there were a few times when I wasn\'t sure if they were really into it. I don\'t believe that\'s the case anymore.

For real, there\'s no way anybody in the band was thinking "Fuck, god damn it, if it weren\'t for these 400 gypsies we could be doing something else besides playing our own festival"

Or "For the love of God, if only this crowd of 500-600 people raging at the Big Up weren\'t totally rocking out to our music right now, we could just stop playing in this terrible band, this is no fun at all"

I don\'t get all this about setting anyone free.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 10:27:03 pm »
Gencs, is this thread spawned from discussions within the inner circle or simply from your own thoughts?
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Whineberg

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 01:57:59 am »
Before you see my vote, I want to say..........Sorry Steve, I just couldn\'t resist.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 07:00:50 am »
Sorry, but TB has gone the way of Max Creek...  TB is the driving force...  I saw this coming a long time ago sitting in Josh\'s driveway before an Uncle Sam Jam...  TB is one of my favorite bands, but if these guys want to make a living past scraping from one gig to the next, they need to move on to what\'s going to get them there... And for Tim and Adrian, it\'s Kung Fu...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 08:54:40 am »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;272046
Gencs, is this thread spawned from discussions within the inner circle or simply from your own thoughts?

First off, I would never break a trust like that.....
Secondly, I\'ve been so far out of the loop for the past 2 years, I have no idea how to get to the inner circle....

Quote from: Yoda;272048
Sorry, but TB has gone the way of Max Creek...  TB is the driving force...  I saw this coming a long time ago sitting in Josh\'s driveway before an Uncle Sam Jam...  TB is one of my favorite bands, but if these guys want to make a living past scraping from one gig to the next, they need to move on to what\'s going to get them there... And for Tim and Adrian, it\'s Kung Fu...

It hurts to say this, but Yoda,I agree with you. and honestly, it hurts to say this even more but,  Max Creek still has more drawing power than The Breakfast......

Quote from: bdfreetuna;272044
The Breakfast are still playing Breakfast shows because they want to. Over the past 10 years or so there were a few times when I wasn\'t sure if they were really into it. I don\'t believe that\'s the case anymore.

For real, there\'s no way anybody in the band was thinking "Fuck, god damn it, if it weren\'t for these 400 gypsies we could be doing something else besides playing our own festival"

Or "For the love of God, if only this crowd of 500-600 people raging at the Big Up weren\'t totally rocking out to our music right now, we could just stop playing in this terrible band, this is no fun at all"

I don\'t get all this about setting anyone free.

Lets call a spade a spade here....and I give Bonsall so much credit for doing what he\'s done with Breakfest, but a keg party in the woods is not a festival....Will it ever grow into an actual festival, I believe Andrew has the vision and now with a couple years behind him, potentially the ability to make it a real festival....first thing would be getting it at an acutual festival friendly site.  Its hard to sell tickets to a venue that has no real automobile access.....

Nobody is arguing that the breakfast doesnt fuck shit up every single time they step on stage......but there is a reason there are a ton of dicks drawn on the walls of the green room in the webster theater. "if you cant draw a crowd, draw a dick"  and can we please face the fact that attendence is the real issue with the success of the band?  There is just not enough people with interest in the breakfast to sustain a realistic shot at making a realistic living out of it.  Please do not read this as a shot at the band or its fans.  It is a business, and if it isnt making money, whats the point?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:54:40 am by Stephengencs »

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 09:11:52 am »
When they get their own message board.

It all depends on where the conversation is happening.  As long as we\'re talking Kung Fu on thebreakfast.info, Kung Fu is a side project.  If we\'re talking about the bands in person, then I consider them separate bands.  If we\'re talking about The Breakfast on kungfu.info, then The Breakfast would be a side project I suppose.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 09:22:33 am »
Wow. well

Kung Fu is a different band that some members of the breakfast play in. Nothing more nothing less.

Correct me if I\'m wrong but didn\'t the breakfast play a festival a few weeks back ? I assume they got paid for that no ?

This is kind of silly to debate. I would imagine that playing breakfast songs and doing a show is interesting and entertaining to the guys in the band. I don\'t see why they would do it otherwise. There is a fucking residency in New Haven next month for crying out loud. If the band decides it isn\'t economically feasible for them to play shows etc well that is life but seeing as there are shows on the horizon, and Kung Fu shows, and Tim solo shows etc etc I don\'t think money has a lot to do with it. I saw Tim play a small bar 2 weeks ago for about 11/2 hours or so. He had come from playing a party with Ron. The guys want to work and I don\'t think they are all that picky about what and where they play as long as it is interesting and worth their time.

Think about Lettuce or bands like that. All of those guys have their own projects, but they get together and throw down from time to time. Deep Banana Blackout would be another band along these lines. Would Deep Banana be considered Rob\'s side project or Kung Fu ?
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 09:27:13 am »
Quote from: kindm\'s;272054

This is kind of silly to debate.

all the bullshit ive seen and written on this board and THIS is a silly debate?