Author Topic: The Passion Of The Christ  (Read 3963 times)

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
The Passion Of The Christ
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2004, 11:08:19 am »
I figured that was the case.......

just keepin the jewish carpenter thread alive....
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Marcial

• Big Wooly Mammoth
    • http://www.chondrolicious.com
Actors "playing the poverty card"
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2004, 11:40:10 am »
Richness & wealth are relative things.  Why should an actor work for $10 mil on a film when they could make $20mil?  Sure, to you & me, $10mil sounds like all the money in the world... BUT to a high profile actor it\'s a week\'s pay.  

Regardless of how much they are paid for a working on a movie, if royalties are part of their deal, they have every right to bitch, moan, and sue your ass for pirating their work.  

There is a reason these people make as much money as they do.... they\'re good!  If you think you can act as good as they do, move to L.A. & be the next mega star.

People need to stop playa-hatin\' on the rich.  If you were in their shoes, I\'m sure you would be singing a different tune.................
Switching peeping observing and licking
No telling next day what I be thinking

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2004, 12:23:31 pm »
Marcial,
I agree and disagree with you.  I agree that a person should be able to earn what is being offered to them.  I do however think that the salaries have gotten way out of hand.  Someone like myself who busts his ass for over 50 hours a week for less than $50K a year might be a little grumpy when it comes to the subject.  And then there\'s actors whether it\'s on TV or movies that get paid millions of dollars for a couple hours of work a week in which half of it gets left on the cutting board.  Whether it is sports/music/movies or any form of entertainment, I feel that these people are being grosely overpaid.  So if it pisses hollywood off that I\'d rather pay 10 bucks for a boot rather than wait 1/2 year to pay double that, so be it.  I\'m just getting a little tired of the poor staying poor, the rich getting richer and the middle class continuously getting fucked up the ass when it\'s time for someone to the pay the bill, which by way is nearly $7 trillion and growing.  

I have a simple solution. (Maybe someone running for president shoudl adopt some of these concepts)

1. Bring the boys back home - less money being spend on wars and peace-keeping missions around the world would put more money in our pockets and give us the resources to better our country, not other countries.

2. Cann the space program for a little while.  Billions of dollars spent to find out that there are remains of salt on Mars is not my idea of a worthwhile investment.

3. Pay all actors/athletes/musicians/CEO\'s scale or whatever a reasonable salary might be for someone that holds their position.  (millions of dollars is not reasonable)

Sorry for the rant as it is really not related to the topic, but it all flowed from the same place.

db
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Marcial

• Big Wooly Mammoth
    • http://www.chondrolicious.com
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2004, 04:45:38 pm »
RYDB,
Again, don\'t hate the playa.  Entertainment is not a god-given right.  If you feel the price of a movie is too high, then don\'t go see it... but feeling that way doesn\'t give you the right to steal.  The money that the actors make is a drop in the bucket compared to what the networks & producers make on the finished product.  That\'s the nature of the Entertainment industry.... it\'s big money for everyone involved.  That\'s why so many people go to Hollywood to try & "make it".  I\'m a working stiff in corporate america just like you are.... if I thought I had the skills to go make movies & be rich & famous, I would go for it.  I haven\'t seen you in a while, but last time I did, you looked nothing like Jennifer Anniston... that\'s why you bust ass to make $50K/ year & she gets a cool million / episode.  Whether or not you think she is overpaid is really irrelevent to the core issue here.... paying all actors, athletes, and musicians on a scale is COMMUNIST... if you\'re part of something that generates $50million on opening weekend, you should get your piece of the pie.  

Entertainment is no different than any other product... it pulls in what the market will bear.  If you go into a car dealership looking for a car and don\'t like the price, you walk away without it... you don\'t steal it.  You have just as much of a right to not go see a movie if you think it\'s over priced.  There are millions of other people who have no qualms about paying & will line up around the block to see it....
Switching peeping observing and licking
No telling next day what I be thinking

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2004, 05:00:00 pm »
I just cant wait for all the religious freaks to start getting on Mel Gibson...saying that he should give his profits to the roman catholic church....you know that this has to be comming, if it hasnt already began....

RyDB makes 50k a year?  I thought he was a priest....

Oy I am so confused.......
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2004, 06:18:32 am »
Originally posted by Marcial
RYDB,
[...]paying all actors, athletes, and musicians on a scale is COMMUNIST...  

Geeze Marcial, you say it like its a bad thing.

the main issue here as I see it is desire. People always want more stuff. Everybody does. we want to aquire and aquire untill we realize that we\'re living in a house surrounded by junk, and then we hold tag sales, or go on ebay and sell it to others as \'retro junk\'. Why? so we can get more money and buy more stuff! Its a vicuous cycle. I agree with marcial that if someone wants to bust there ass and make 50 mil per episode, good for them! I also agree with Deblock that it would be great if everyone had enough money and didn\'t have to bust there ass just to get by. There should be better checks and balances, but it aint happening (at least in the here and now). The issue you guys are arguing is basically this:

What if you knew that you were going to get paid a flat fee if you went to hollywood, made your movie, etc. Would you still have the same drive to become an actor/dir/musician/etc? For most people, money is a driving force in life (so they can get all there stuff), so most wouldnt even bother to try and become the actor/dir/musician/etc that they could be. So now your whole society starts to suffer because you have no entertainment industry. Only, in working practice, this happens in all industries, and the economy crashes as a result.

Like I said, you make communism sound like a bad thing :)
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke