Author Topic: Setlist: 2010-03-27 - The Blockley Pourhouse; Philadelphia, PA  (Read 5543 times)

galenas

• Global Moderator
I: Hard Luck Harry > Metropolis, The Vermont Song > Honey Butter > Hard Luck Harry* > Shotgun Butterfly, Echidna\'s Arf (Of You)

II: jam > Synergy > Existential Funk, Buquebus

* with \'Honey Butter\' tease.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:45:41 pm by galenas »

galenas

• Global Moderator
Setlist: 2010-03-27 - The Blockley Pourhouse; Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 12:40:21 pm »
please let me know if anything needs to be chanced with this set list!

fantastic show, great playing by everyone on the stage all night!! this was recorded by cannon and another dude in the audience w/ a pretty ser rig. he said it should be up to archive by friday.

thanks for the ride and great company, russ! cannon, dude, poster WOW THANK YOU!! and finally nice to meet you, frolfer!!!

crowd situation was weird. People were into it and dancing at times, but for the most part were watching more from afar. adrian after the show was not happy about the energy level, which i can understand, but standing amongst everyone, i can tell you they were into it.

also, i was thinking about it this morning, but if the guys thrive off the energy of the crowd (which is understandable) they should have said something like, "come on up front, folks. don\'t be bashful" (or whatever) and then played something funky to get everyone up and dancing. i mean, bands do that sort of shit all the time.

but whatever. bottom line is that there was some really really sick playing throughout the show and i cannot wait to relisten.

also, Igor\'s Egg = AWESOME! prog/weirdness with a chic on lead violin who absolutely ripped it up. check out the recording, should also be on archive soon. they covered yes\' "long distance runaround" > "the fish" and did a pretty damn good job with it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:49:48 pm by galenas »

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 01:14:19 pm »
Quote from: galenas;254988

also, i was thinking about it this morning, but if the guys thrive off the energy of the crowd (which is understandable) they should have said something like, "come on up front, folks. don\'t be bashful" (or whatever) and then played something funky to get everyone up and dancing. i mean, bands do that sort of shit all the time.

the invite from a band for the audience to come up to the front, or get out of your seats and dance is the kiss of death and a sure sign of panic to the audience.....in my opinion....
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 01:29:00 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs;254989

the invite from a band for the audience to come up to the front, or get out of your seats and dance is the kiss of death and a sure sign of panic to the audience.....in my opinion....

in some cases, yes. but not if done in a fun way. the brew is really good at it actually. but key point: it would help if there were more than 5 girls in the audience. no joke, i don\'t know if there were more than 10 chics in the whole place.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 01:50:01 pm »
Quote from: galenas;254990
Quote from: Stephengencs;254989

in some cases, yes. but not if done in a fun way. the brew is really good at it actually. but key point: it would help if there were more than 5 girls in the audience. no joke, i don\'t know if there were more than 10 chics in the whole place.

I have heard and been part of these "rationalizations" and "if this" and "if that" scenarios for a long time now.  Isn\'t about time we stopped and just called a dew a dew.  It seems that the next generation of Breakfast fans are getting pretty excited for the summer and doing a lot to keep the name of this band alive and standing a fighting chance to not disappear....so lets stop filling their young and excited minds with the shit that has kept us down for the past 10+ years.  Thank you.
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 02:02:09 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs;254991
It seems that the next generation of Breakfast fans are getting pretty excited for the summer and doing a lot to keep the name of this band alive and standing a fighting chance to not disappear...

as am i.

frolfer

• breakfast geek
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 02:47:53 pm »
Wow! My soul and mind and body have been cleansed by the music of the Breakfast!

I am still feeling totally burnt out from yesterday. Beautiful, sunny day. Played some sweet disc golf in the Allentown area before the show, and found the Pourhouse relatively easily. The address says Chestnut Street but the bar is not actually on that street. I\'m glad I got there a little early and had time to explore and found the place with little problem.

Nice little venue. Not quite what I was expecting. I hear pourhouse and I think of an Irish pub or something but this was more like your basic venue. Not bad by any means. If you were out front of the stage the sound was pretty good.

Starting things off with Harry is a bold move and always a good psygn in my opinion. I went up to get a Philly microbrew and thought that the jam sure sounded a lot like a Metrop. The Vermont Song found the band gaining some momentum and I was amazed at some of the fluid guitar lines that Tim was laying down. The crowd seemed to grab on to this number and lots of smiles around the room.

Honey Butter was funktastic and got the hips swaying in fine style.
I was hoping for a Shotgun, love this tune. The crowd was stupefied by the epic Echidna\'s. The boys nail those changes so well. Love the Arf strut!

The Synergy jam was great. The band hopped on the cosmic sewing machine and started stitching new lines in the fabric of the universe. I have to thank Chris for the ExFunk because the chorus served as my mantra on my drive last night. "look a little bit higher this time."  I made it to a resting spot just trying to look a little bit higher. Cars were getting pulled over and cops were whizzing by me but I held the line by looking higher. ALways looking higher.

The crowd was a little funny but folks were definitely into it. I like those Psychedelphia guys. Might be a good move to capitalize on this performance by coming back sometime soon and play with those fellas again. It helps when an opening band sticks around to see the headliner so then their friends stick around and they then get their faces melted!

My god, how long was that Buckebus? Love three song second sets!

Diana, it was great to finally meet you too! And Cannontrip, always keeping it real. Nice to meet you too snkwgtr(sorry, I think I butchered that!)

What we need here is some positivity. We all know how good this band is. I wish I was better and jumping right down in front of the stage and getting people to puncture the canyon crescent and vibe up close. Better stop wishing and just do.

Well, this show will satisfy me until fryday when the show comes to I-town!

Thanks guys for coming out and playing a ripper for us! Y\'all are the best.

Philly is cool.
Painted wind and sound, sun and all the clouds, oohooh

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:03:31 pm »
great review! i love some of the lines you used! nice writing!

honestly, i am addicted to this band like crack. it\'s not even funny. when they\'re done, i want more more more. can\'t wait to get my next fix!!!!

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 05:10:19 pm »
hey snickerdoodle -- check out my new location info :lol: thank you, gps! this will always stand out as the highlight of the night! (tho the pizza was also super ser!)

snwckgtr

• aka snickerdoodle
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 09:00:04 pm »
Quote from: galenas;255000
hey snickerdoodle -- check out my new location info :lol: thank you, gps! this will always stand out as the highlight of the night! (tho the pizza was also super ser!)

haha! you might as well just leave that blank because im not sure that location really exists...and violently turning into a cemetary due to an ambulance that already passed isnt really "lost"....but it was only like 50 ft away so what else was i gonna do?

this show was pretty damn awesome.  i thought metropolis was great and the transition into it was done really well.  and the second set was just crazy...that buquebus was one of the best ive seen for sure.  i have no idea when it happened, but i think chris was playing weezer - only in dreams, sometime during a jam in the first set...or something that sounded a lot like it.  i hope i didnt just imagine that though....

frolfer and cannontrip nice meeting you guys also and really nice review!

btw, no mooboos in 2010 yet and i was really hoping that last night would be the night.  wishing i dont miss it in ithaca  :rolleyes:

frolfer

• breakfast geek
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 09:01:55 pm »
Quote from: galenas;254999

honestly, i am addicted to this band like crack. it\'s not even funny. when they\'re done, i want more more more. can\'t wait to get my next fix!!!!

I couldn\'t agree more. I swear all those notes, riffs, chords, and scales are laced!!
Painted wind and sound, sun and all the clouds, oohooh

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 09:14:14 pm »
Quote from: snwckgtr;255006

btw, no mooboos in 2010 yet and i was really hoping that last night would be the night.  wishing i dont miss it in ithaca  :rolleyes:

dude, you just cursed yourself right there. you have to go now.

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 09:14:48 pm »
Quote from: frolfer;255007
Quote from: galenas;254999

I couldn\'t agree more. I swear all those notes, riffs, chords, and scales are laced!!

and that\'s just fine by me! :D

snwckgtr

• aka snickerdoodle
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 09:28:55 pm »
Quote from: galenas;255012
Quote from: snwckgtr;255006

dude, you just cursed yourself right there. you have to go now.

not sure i rationalize everything as much as you do...but in this case....lol

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 01:41:35 pm »
Quote from: snwckgtr;255014

not sure i rationalize everything as much as you do...but in this case....lol

lol! hey, i\'m just trying to make logic and rationality work in my favor! :D