Author Topic: The Breakfast 2010-02-20 Mill Street Brews  (Read 13449 times)

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
The Breakfast 2010-02-20 Mill Street Brews
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2010, 11:09:44 am »
Still waiting on a firm statement from the band re: if they currently want shows going on archive.org ... from what I\'ve heard they want more time to practice their new songs and its a bit of a wishy washy situation for now.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

sąikidélik

• whateva will dangle do ya
    • http://www.myspace.com/bolofmanutoes
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2010, 06:50:57 pm »
Quote from: bigmtskier;253370
In the meantime before the solar crisis wipes out all GPS and cell phone comm, can someone please put this show on the LMA? Flac or MP3 would be dee-luxe.

How many times do we have to go over this. There are both .ogg files zipped and mp3 files zipped posted on this thread. Personally the .ogg sounds better, and its sooo simple do download and unzip. Read my post #45. Free and easy and sounds superb.

GLuft3

« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2010, 07:23:25 pm »
Talking \'bout very free and easy.  :-)
Always with the negative waves, Moriarty!  Always with the negative waves!

bigmtskier

« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2010, 08:38:31 am »
I have d/l the the ogg files now as well as the MP3. ..I have extracted zip files before. this time it\'s not happenin\'...when I only get two songs to d/l . and i don\'t like 7 Up. Just thought maybe the LMA would be an option. Thanks  BDtuna for the update.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2010, 11:31:09 am »
bigmtskier... I am uploading the MP3 ZIP to sendspace again... this time having renamed the files within the archive to contain no ">", "*", spaces, or anything at all. So any operating system besides MSDOS with 8 character limitations should be able to handle these file names.

Will be up in 15 minutes..

> > > >  http://www.sendspace.com/file/o5qytc
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:53:08 am by bdfreetuna »
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

sąikidélik

• whateva will dangle do ya
    • http://www.myspace.com/bolofmanutoes
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2010, 12:05:00 pm »
Quote from: bigmtskier;253443
I have d/l the the ogg files now as well as the MP3. ..I have extracted zip files before. this time it\'s not happenin\'...when I only get two songs to d/l . and i don\'t like 7 Up. Just thought maybe the LMA would be an option. Thanks  BDtuna for the update.

you have to unzip the entire folder, not the individual songs that may or may not show up in the folder after download. if you are still having trouble after the LMA there are other options. and 7zip is what i like cause its free and easy. plenty of other programs that do the same thing. just trying to help you be able to hear the audio.

mvallo

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2010, 12:06:41 pm »
Quote from: sąikidélik;253414

Personally the .ogg sounds better, .

not necessarily true. whether its mp3 or ogg its a lossy format and will never sound good a the uncompressed original or lossless format.

so, the  lossy Encoding sound quality depends on the bit rate setting that it was encoded at.  

simply:

Lossless encoding(flac) = best(original) quality = largest file size
Highest (Mp3/ogg) bit rate encoding = good quality = larger file size
Lowest (Mp3/ogg) bit rate encoding = lower quality = smaller files size.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2010, 12:35:58 pm »
Matt\'s got it right... however there are actually two reasons the OGG sounds better than the MP3.

1. Like Matt said, the OGG is 499kbps vs the MP3 at 320kbps.

But also, OGG Vorbis is simply a superior form of compressed audio compared to MP3. At the same bitrate, it will sound better. Same is true for WMA (Windows), M4A/AAC (Apple), or MP4. All will give a higher resolution waveform than MP3 at the same bitrate.

Really the only reason people still use MP3s is because they want the same file extension as their old songs they downloaded from Napster used in 1998.

The reason I choose Ogg Vorbis over WMA / AAC / M4A / MP4 is simple. All those other formats are proprietary, either being designed for a specific operating system or requiring a paid license to legally encode with.

Ogg Vorbis not only happens to be the best form of compressed audio, but it\'s also free (like FLAC, and unlike WAV -- a Microsoft proprietary format).

Ogg Vorbis is also a format that will be seen well into the future. The future of embedded video on the internet is Theora video... YouTube I think is switching to this from Flash soon and everyone else is doing the same as it\'s going to be adopted into the HTML5 standards. Theora video is to OGG as MPEG video is to MP3/MP4.

Another comparison is JPEG vs PNG compressed images. JPEG is technically not free, and notorious for artifacting images (the visual equivilent of a poor compression algorithm). PNG look better, handle transparencies, and are a free format. The only reason JPEGs are still more common today is because Microsoft\'s Internet Explorer wasn\'t able to render PNGs until version 7.0.

So anyway, if you are having trouble playing OGGs, you can either choose to compromise and download the MP3s, or you can make the late switch to software that isn\'t loaded up with proprietary restrictions. iTunes being the most obvious example.

I recommend Songbird (http://www.getsongbird.com) ... available for Linux, Windows, and Mac ... it\'s pretty much the Firefox of music players. Looks a lot like iTunes too so you won\'t even skip a beat.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2010, 12:48:05 pm »
:fart:
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

mvallo

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2010, 01:58:15 pm »
I guess .ogg vs .mp3 is like comparing vhs vs beta or hd dvd vs blues ray or christanity vs Islam

I don\'t know what my point is. oh yes, I remember, if there is a god please help me.  I have sinned and have been converting lossless audio  to lossless formats. please forgive me!!

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2010, 02:00:43 pm »
I guess at this point, I would make the music available in the format that the masses use and doesn\'t require them too much time and effort to enjoy...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2010, 02:20:44 pm »
what about a situation where my home computer can play .ogg, but my ipod can\'t? should i get a linux .ogg player now, too? i\'m not nearly tech minded enough to hack my ipod...

mvallo

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2010, 02:35:04 pm »
OK, seriously.

in my opinion.

Tapers should be recording and uploading original lossless audio in flac and uploading to archive first.

Then anybody can convert it to any format or religion they want.

I don\'t know but doesn\'t archive convert the flacs to Ogg Vorbis and VBR MP3?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 03:08:23 pm by mvallo »

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2010, 02:40:15 pm »
Quote from: jking;253484
what about a situation where my home computer can play .ogg, but my ipod can\'t? should i get a linux .ogg player now, too? i\'m not nearly tech minded enough to hack my ipod...

your best bet would probably be to decode to .wav files, drop the wav files into itunes, then create an mp3 version of the wav files and transfer those mp3s. yeah your files are going to be even worse quality than the original ogg files, but at least you don\'t need to get a whole new player
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2010, 02:53:14 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;253488
Quote from: jking;253484

your best bet would probably be to decode to .wav files, drop the wav files into itunes, then create an mp3 version of the wav files and transfer those mp3s. yeah your files are going to be even worse quality than the original ogg files, but at least you don\'t need to get a whole new player

Too much work to listen to a show... In the time it would take to do that, I could download 3 Raq shows... That being said, because of the lack of TB shows being circulated, my attention has moved in the Raq direction after listening to the 2001-01-24 show... I\'d much rather listen to TB, but with noting new coming out, that\'s where I\'ve kind of headed...

Thanks for the new shows... Keep em coming...