Author Topic: The Breakfast 2010-02-20 Mill Street Brews  (Read 13454 times)

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
The Breakfast 2010-02-20 Mill Street Brews
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2010, 02:54:19 pm »
i run media monkey, so there\'s no issue there. but my ipod wouldn\'t play .ogg, so i had to convert to mp3. since going to wav from a lossy format didn\'t make much sense to me, i just went straight to mp3. its not the worst thing in the world, except for the degredation of sound quality. and, like matt said, without the original lossless files being released, there\'s no way to avoid having an extra lossy generation.

i truly appreciate the taping and spreading, but if the music is spread in a format that is disconcerting or difficult for the majority of folks, what good is it doing for the band?

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2010, 02:56:21 pm »
Quote from: jking;253491
i truly appreciate the taping and spreading, but if the music is spread in a format that is disconcerting or difficult for the majority of folks, what good is it doing for the band?

:that:
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2010, 03:04:45 pm »
Not doing it for the band. Doing it for the fans.

BTW I have the FLACs. Nobody asked for them :P

What I\'m trying to give you salty little panty lickers is choice! FLAC/OGG/MP3 ... shit ask me and I\'ll send you the original file in the mail.

Whiners! <3
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

mvallo

« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2010, 03:14:11 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;253493

BTW I have the FLACs. Nobody asked for them :P

What I\'m trying to give you salty little panty lickers is choice! FLAC/OGG/MP3 ... shit ask me and I\'ll send you the original file in the mail.

Whiners! <3

Tuna, upload the flacs to archive.  as a taper that should be your responsibility or give them to someone who can do it properly.

then offer a megaupload upload in mp3/ogg for those that like the single file download.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2010, 04:34:02 pm »
I\'m a busy guy, Matt!

As long as most ppl who want to can hear the music and it sounds reasonably good, that\'s my first priority.

Also, I am not a taper, I\'m a tuna fish. With a recorder. My intent is all for your delight. One way or another, I hope you get to hear it :)
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

mvallo

« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2010, 04:39:56 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;253509
I\'m a busy guy, Matt!

As long as most ppl who want to can hear the music and it sounds reasonably good, that\'s my first priority.

Also, I am not a taper, I\'m a tuna fish. With a recorder. My intent is all for your delight. One way or another, I hope you get to hear it :)

you were talking like one, sorry for the misunderstanding.

ChrisF

« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2010, 05:07:32 pm »
Quote from: jking;253484
what about a situation where my home computer can play .ogg, but my ipod can\'t? should i get a linux .ogg player now, too? i\'m not nearly tech minded enough to hack my ipod...

you sorry chipped yourself the day you bought an ipod. but at least you will look cool with the name brand player!

my sansa fuze plays every format including flac and ogg.  only cost $20 including shipping and has an sd-micro card slot so i can put in a card up to 32GB.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2010, 05:39:10 pm »
nothing lamer than a techie my format can beat up your format discussion.

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2010, 05:47:03 pm »

i truly appreciate the taping and spreading, but if the music is spread in a format that is disconcerting or difficult for the majority of folks, what good is it doing for the fans?

and i\'ll let my mother know that her christmas present from 5 years ago wasn\'t cool or high tech enough for you, fitz.

cannontrip

• breakfast greek
  • ʻāwikiwiki
    • b'fastin
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2010, 06:53:27 pm »
I\'ve been wondering this for a while:  If flac and wav are Lossless formats, why isn\'t that a set bitrate?  Meaning why is 24 bit wav superior to 16 or 8 bit wav?  Is anything Lost when going from a 24 bit wav file to a 16 bit?  or am I comparing different things, i.e. the 24 bit sampling refers to fidelity vs mp3 bitrate referring to % compression.

i just made myself far more confused by asking that.
♥♫∞

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2010, 06:56:39 pm »
this is becoming way too cute. :P

enjoy the music, people!

sooo... is anyone still unable to listen to this show? If so, let me know whatever other way you might need it. Apparently I\'m learning the hard way, here, folks!

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2010, 07:03:22 pm »
i\'d like my copy pressed on wax, please
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

GLuft3

« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2010, 08:08:58 pm »
Quote from: cannontrip;253516
I\'ve been wondering this for a while:  If flac and wav are Lossless formats, why isn\'t that a set bitrate?  Meaning why is 24 bit wav superior to 16 or 8 bit wav?  Is anything Lost when going from a 24 bit wav file to a 16 bit?  or am I comparing different things, i.e. the 24 bit sampling refers to fidelity vs mp3 bitrate referring to % compression.

i just made myself far more confused by asking that.

The CD "Red Book" standard is 16 bits per sample.  24 is more/better, and yes, it is technically a loss when you downconvert.  

[INDENT]The bit rate is 1411.2 kbit/s:

2 channels x 44,100 samples per second per channel × 16 bits per sample = 1,411,200 bit/s = 1,411.2 kbit/s.
Address : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_(audio_Compact_Disc_standard)[/INDENT]

To confuse matters more, you can intentionally add random noise in the process (dither).

[INDENT]
Dither is an intentionally applied form of noise used to randomize quantization error, preventing large-scale patterns such as "banding" (stepwise rendering of smooth gradations in brightness or hue) in images, or noise at discrete frequencies in an audio recording, that are more objectionable than uncorrelated noise. Dither is routinely used in processing of both digital audio and digital video data, and is often one of the last stages of audio production to compact disc.
Address : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither[/INDENT]

Compression is lossy when you cannot get back to the same original.  If you use a lossless compression routine, e.g. FLAC, on a 24-bit WAV, you\'d get back the same 24-bit WAV file when you de-compress it.

I won\'t quote the article, but more here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_compression_%28data%29#Lossy_audio_compression

Sorry that I\'m using wikipedia as an authoritative source--but like lossy compression--it\'s good enough for this application.
Always with the negative waves, Moriarty!  Always with the negative waves!

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2010, 08:28:12 pm »
i rest my case.......

frolfer

• breakfast geek
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2010, 08:36:05 pm »
I for one would like to see the flacs make it over to the archive(I can help if needed) and then they derive all the mp3s and such from the original file.

Its just me, but the music is totally worth the effort.

But I\'ll take anything. I\'m easy. Thanks for sharing tuna!!
Painted wind and sound, sun and all the clouds, oohooh