Author Topic: Pay-per-view concerts: would you be down?  (Read 2605 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Pay-per-view concerts: would you be down?
« on: January 26, 2010, 01:12:48 am »
All of the recent live streaming of shows got me thinking: Why aren\'t more bigtime concerts available via pay-per-view?

Three questions:

1.  Does anyone know why this isn\'t happening?  There\'s got to be money in it, right?

2.  If it were available, is it something you would be into?   Could you see yourself rounding up a group of friends to get together to watch a live concert on TV, just like people do with fight nights on pay-per-view?    

3.  What shows would make sense and what would you consider to be a fair price?  If Phish shows were, say, $29.95, would it be fun to get 10 people together to throw down 3 bucks each and watch a Phish show that\'s not in your area?  What about other bands?  Or what if a major festival offered 8 hours of live coverage on pay-per-view?  They announced every band they would be broadcasting and you liked every band.  Would there be any interest?

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 01:27:23 am »
the dead did it back in the day and it was pretty groundbreaking at the time. it was somewhat dissatisfying most of the time although it was fun to plan around it for new years eve. takes a fair amount of money to do it proffessionally enough. sounds great in theory  but im not so sure about reality.

LBoogie

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 01:27:33 am »
dude.....thats a genius idea.  i\'d be so down.

dannybiscuits

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 02:16:50 am »
I think that I would be interested in seeing very few bands at very selective times. To explain Phish would be one of those bands but i wouldn\'t pick any random show to watch. If they would have had a live pay per view of their halloween show or something I could have gotten into it. But there are few bands I would actually want to pay to watch a full concert on t.v.

I did see phish in the movie theatres when they broadcast that brooklyn new york show when they first got back from their hiatus. That was the shit....They opened with dinner and a movie. So cleaver them phishies.
I scratch my mind I think about life and stuff sometimes but shits ruff!

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 08:50:57 am »
Quote from: dannybiscuits;251439

I did see phish in the movie theatres when they broadcast that brooklyn new york show when they first got back from their hiatus. That was the shit....They opened with dinner and a movie. So cleaver them phishies.

that was in 2004 years after they got back
*Gia*

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 09:21:52 am »
yeah, i think it\'d have to be either very select concerts and festivals. i think broadcasting a tour would be cost prohibitive. however there have been tons of fests i\'ve wished i could make it to on other sides of the country that i would have gladly plunked down some cash to see in my living room. its nowhere near the same, so asking, say, ticket price is out of the question, but i\'d pay $20-30 a day to watch 8 hours of festival coverage.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:59:19 am »
i would pay for breakfast streams
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

mvallo

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 10:34:01 am »
http://www.iclips.net/ are broadcasting all kinds of cool stuff, free and pay per view in mulitcamera HD are available.  ween, bob weir/ratdog, moe and galactic are big time bands for me.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 12:53:28 pm »
I\'ve paid for about 10 different concerts from iClips . Only disappointed once with the feed and they gave me a free show for the trouble.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 12:55:44 pm »
yes I\'d be down...but only if there was a function for cyber-heckling the band and people dancing like pricks

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 01:06:41 pm »
the problem, for me, is getting iclips to my tv. i have no desire to watch a show on my computer and i have terribly limited tech smarts. now, if its on a channel through fios, i\'m all set...

dannybiscuits

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 01:16:40 pm »
Quote from: bezerker;251445

For surely it was. I was not in the soundest mindset last night when I wrote that and did not feel like looking it up before I posted. The night after the broadcast is when Jay Z performed with em. Although I saw the jay Z clips on youtube it was classic phish to blow there load(or in this case do something different) before a big show or right after it.
I scratch my mind I think about life and stuff sometimes but shits ruff!

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 05:01:33 pm »
Quote from: bezerker;251445

they opened with a song i heard the ocean sing..
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 05:29:07 pm »
Quote from: jking;251475
the problem, for me, is getting iclips to my tv. i have no desire to watch a show on my computer and i have terribly limited tech smarts. now, if its on a channel through fios, i\'m all set...

it is very easy depending on tv and computer

I have had my PC connected to my LCD TV for years now

you can get DVI-D to HDMI if your graphics card doesnt have HDMI

there are also several set top boxes that can stream from your pc to tv or stereo
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

inthewhitelodge

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 10:22:14 pm »
I believe Woodstock did this. That is, in the later years...
"When I hold you, I hold everything that is-- swans, volcanoes, river rocks, maple trees drinking the fragrance of the moon, bread that the fire adores. In your life I see everything that lives."- Pablo Neruda:wave: