Author Topic: The Breakfast\'s Thanksgiving ChrisPitchFest Double CD Project Giveaway  (Read 5785 times)

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Allright, we\'ve got the flacs.
It sounds totally awesome. Not even done re-listening to this show again but some grassroots ish was going down the whole evening.

I don\'t remember a wrong note. Haven\'t heard one yet. Actually, this show is incredibly, over-the-top stellar. Too bad my H4N crapped out but, hey, Matt Vallo! :thumbsup:

So. Who\'s good at mixing things up into 2 CDs that would flow just right?

I don\'t think CDs are very expensive at all.. I would love to cover album art and can hook up the crazy cheap printing costs which I\'ll just cover. Let\'s do it? Get my drift? Make like several thousand albums and give em out!

You guys in?
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

GLuft3

The Breakfast\'s Thanksgiving ChrisPitchFest Double CD Project Giveaway
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 11:13:16 am »
What\'s up with your H4n?  Mine shows "no card" when it starts half the time.  I just restart it and it\'s fine usually.  Annoying.  Have to check on the Samson/Zoom support site.
Always with the negative waves, Moriarty!  Always with the negative waves!

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 12:07:36 pm »
One day I\'ll learn to use it right.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 01:03:16 pm »
cd\'s are so 1994

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 01:21:11 pm »
Open to other/better suggestions for medium to use for handing out and exchanging for cash..

what do you suggest?

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 04:57:05 pm »
is a cd one of those big black flat round things?
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 05:20:42 pm »
Got hundreds of \'em!
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:01:41 pm »
thumb drives.  If your serious about your sourcing you can get em out of china for under a buck and they are reusable.

mvallo

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:33:52 pm »
Quote from: krispy;247410
thumb drives.  If your serious about your sourcing you can get em out of china for under a buck and they are reusable.

just some thought about cds/dvd VS. flash drives:

1. I like CDR audio and mp3\'s disks play in my car.  my car radio does not have a flash drive reader.
4. CDR/DVDR are cheap. I don\'t care if they are not reusable..
5. flash dives have a higher capacity than CDR/DVDR.
6. I think flash drives have faster read/ write times.
7. I think cdrs are reliable. I have cdrs that are 10+ years old and they still work. flash drives are not a proven long term storage media.

Quote from: GLuft3;247380
What\'s up with your H4n?  Mine shows "no card" when it starts half the time.  I just restart it and it\'s fine usually.  Annoying.  Have to check on the Samson/Zoom support site.

Some card just don\'t work or are unreliable
Some cards are defective out of the box and can gives you problems:

When in doubt go with 0ne of these:
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/SDlist.html
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 09:33:52 pm by mvallo »

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 05:26:46 pm »
Ok so I\'m back from Phish... and engaged :P ... but yep still serious about doin this. Anyone from the band have an opinion?

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 05:45:07 pm »
getting a couple hundred cds out in the hands of new listeners would be great. keep us posted.

inthewhitelodge

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 09:36:02 pm »
I am in. I could help with artwork as well if necessary. Or I can just help out the cd fund?
"When I hold you, I hold everything that is-- swans, volcanoes, river rocks, maple trees drinking the fragrance of the moon, bread that the fire adores. In your life I see everything that lives."- Pablo Neruda:wave:

GLuft3

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 09:38:22 pm »
Count me in.  CDR giveaway would be cool.
Always with the negative waves, Moriarty!  Always with the negative waves!

frolfer

• breakfast geek
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 07:09:43 am »
I am in also. Willing to help in any way!
Painted wind and sound, sun and all the clouds, oohooh

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 10:04:59 am »
Good, alright! I thought this was about to fizzle out.

So here\'s what we need help with...

1. Remixing (or whatever you audio guys call this) the audio, sort of like was done for "Live As Is". We need it to fit on 2 CDs and split at setbreak hopefully. GLuft, maybe you can help me with this and coordinate whatever needs to be done here with the AV crew? Maybe it\'s already good to go as is, I don\'t know. Sounds fantastic already so I doubt much needs to be done here, but I\'ll leave this to the experts.

2. Artwork. Well, I\'m a graphic designer. Was sort of looking forward to this to be honest ;) ... if somebody can get me a high res working file of the new logo on http://www.thebreakfast.org that would come in real handy.

3. Buying & Burning the CDs. We will want to have the CDs have some art on them too, like Ken does for his DVDs. What is this Ken, Lightscribe? Please inform me as to what specifications the graphics for the CD itself need be in. If people want to pitch in money it will go mostly towards buying blank CDs and jewel cases. I want to look into alternative style jewel cases to the typical fat plastic double CD case... something with recycled paper and in perhaps a more compact form factor. This should also help curb expenses.

4. Printing. I have to check with our printer to see what costs are and various form factor options may be for the case. This will likely be cheaper than you think, but the idea is to print a lot of them. Fortunately, printing costs work on a backwards exponential curve in relation to quantity.

5. Money. Which will go towards buying CDs, jewel cases, and printing costs. If anyone here is loaded and likes this idea a lot, this might be where you can help the most.

Thanks guys!

edit: Okay, regarding printing and jewel cases. I do not have a hookup for fancy fold-out paperboard style double CD cases. So we are just going to need to do a bulk buy of blank regular double CD jewel cases, and then I can do the printing for the inserts on this.

Can anyone find better jewel case pricing than this?
http://www.jewelcaserack.com/jc2in1.html
http://www.cdrom2go.com/product/usdm-jewel-case-double-disc-clear-tray_655_76.htm  <--- single insert, reduces printing costs

I\'m thinking we should start with 1000, or maybe more if people pitch in more (a few thousand would be pretty cool... it\'s looking like it may end up costing about $0.75 each, give or take a little, to produce these), and we can always easily print & burn more when we need them.

edit again: regarding blank CDs... apparently either thermal or inkjet printable CDs are way cheaper than Lightscribe printable CDs. We can get inkjet/thermal ones for about $0.25/each, vs twice that much for lightscribe. I assume Ken is using an inkjet or thermal printer? So does that mean we have access to this equipment?

http://www.cdrom2go.com/catalog/inkjet-printable-cd-r-media_6.htm
http://www.cdrom2go.com/catalog/thermal-printable-cd-r-media_7.htm

edit again: regarding printing of CD inserts... to save costs we will want to do a single or double panel 4.75" insert. Album art on the front and track-listing and other info on the back. This only costs me about $100.00 (single panel) or $150.00 (double panel, or two-fold) to print 1000 of these on recycled paper. I\'ll cover this and the design. So we just need people to buy blank CDs and jewel cases and help with the printing on the CDs themselves. I\'ll probably go for double panel as it will be more fun to design and look less "bootleg".
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:39:02 am by bdfreetuna »