Author Topic: (Grateful) Deadheads for Breakfast(.info)  (Read 12948 times)

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
(Grateful) Deadheads for Breakfast(.info)
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2009, 02:47:56 pm »
not joking. GD is garbage
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

inCognito

• piano slinger
    • http://www.shorelinepiano.net
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2009, 02:51:59 pm »
First and foremost, I love Brittney.  A lot.   Listening to her now.  And loving it.  A lot.

After the 11/1 moe. show, a few of us were joking with Al about a bluegrass project he is working on.  It got tied to the Miley Cyrus cover moe. did, anyway look out for Pickin\' on Miley a miley cyrus bluegrass project coming soon!

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2009, 02:59:49 pm »
Quote from: NickNels;246905
The Breakfast have most certainly been victims of this.

Are they the Victim or the Crime? ;)

Quote from: zuke583;246911

:D

Quote from: inCognito;246912
First and foremost, I love Brittney.  A lot.   Listening to her now.  And loving it.  A lot.

After the 11/1 moe. show, a few of us were joking with Al about a bluegrass project he is working on.  It got tied to the Miley Cyrus cover moe. did, anyway look out for Pickin\' on Miley a miley cyrus bluegrass project coming soon!

:?:
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2009, 03:15:59 pm »
bisco bashing from the phish bio...

thought some of you might enjoy this...p. 186-7

"Tom Baggot, the first-generation Phish fan who\'d helped spread the word since the beginning, saw what was happening in the parking lots. By 1998 he noticed a disconnect between the drug-crazed younger kids\' musical wants and Phish\'s less crescendo-filled jams. Baggott was working as a development agent, helping bands hone their act and find a grassroots following. One of his bands was a group out of Philadelphia whose music, he realized, would appeal to those who weren\'t getting spun to the extreme at Phish shows like they wanted.

[in regards to younger fans] \'...They wanted to hear intensity the whole way through the show, and they wanted their drugs served sunny-side up...and when I heard the Disco Biscuits, I was like, \'Wow, this is a band that would appeal to that part of the Phish base.\'

\'...That scene was all about drugs,\' Baggott continued. \'That\'s what that \'Bisco\' scene is all about. I didn\'t really appreciate their music until the first Camp Bisco, when I had the opportunity to take Ecstasy and see the band for four hours, late night...they were awesome that night.\'

Baggott laughed. \'Not to take anything away from the Biscuits, but my grandmother would\'ve been awesome that night on a ukulele probably.\'"

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2009, 03:18:29 pm »
Not for nothin... but unfortunately this thread is serving the same purpose as the other one... might as well merge them and rename it "DB vs. GD & others or GD & others vs. DB" (depending on which you prefer to put first).  I mean if its the same shit thats gonna be said... I\'d prefer to not have to jump back and forth between 2 threads to watch the same debate!
Where to next?

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2009, 03:23:43 pm »
Phish, Biscuits.... what\'s it got to do with the Grateful Dead? :P

This is not an "other music" bashing thread! This is about our love for the Dead!

On that note, anyone else going to see Dark Star in Northampton tonight?
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

inCognito

• piano slinger
    • http://www.shorelinepiano.net
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2009, 03:25:19 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;246914
Quote from: inCognito;246912

:?:

britney stuff = joke

on 10/31 moe. covered miley cyrus.  they asked everyone who had been to 100+ shows to request a song.  they then turned to jam-nation at large to vote on all of the requests to cull down to a Halloween all request setlist.  one of the members of their crew requested miley as a joke.  a miley cyrus fan website found out and miley cyrus was the most requested song.  surprisingly enough the song turned out pretty well.  i continued on to see them on 11/1 and while hanging out with the band post show, Pickin\' on Miley was created.  it is not real.  although with a bluegrass name that good it should be.  but this is now the subject for another thread.  

listening to Further 9/20/09.  very good stuff.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2009, 03:32:21 pm »
Diggin\' that Moe. cover of Eyes of the World.

Thought the Stash was pretty good too, not sure why you said we should skip it? Better than a lot of Phish versions. Meat was good too. That\'s all I listened to so far.

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2009, 03:32:22 pm »
Quote from: simpletwistupdon;246918
Not for nothin... but unfortunately this thread is serving the same purpose as the other one... might as well merge them and rename it "DB vs. GD & others or GD & others vs. DB" (depending on which you prefer to put first).  I mean if its the same shit thats gonna be said... I\'d prefer to not have to jump back and forth between 2 threads to watch the same debate!

THis thread needs more Dead audio links...which really was the inspiration for the other thread.  I was originally trying to pick choice Biscuits segments that I liked to pass on the the BFam.  Get right to the heat instead of having to pick through the filler
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2009, 03:39:00 pm »
Oh, there will be plenty of time for that, Nick ;)

But I guess it wouldn\'t hurt. I happen to really enjoy the 1972-08-27 show. I have it for whatever reason under the title "The Field Trip".

I: Promised Land, Sugaree, Me and My Uncle, Deal, Black-Throated Wind, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Mexicali Blues, Bertha

II: Playin\' in the Band, He\'s Gone, Jack Straw, Bird Song, Greatest Story Ever Told, Dark Star, El Paso, Sing Me Back Home, Sugar Magnolia, Casey Jones

E: One More Saturday Night

Not sure if it\'s on archive.org or not.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2009, 04:57:09 pm »
Just announced: Furthur to play a tiny Marin music venue tonight.  

Timing sucks: I\'m already headed down to Tea Leaf in Santa Cruz.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2009, 05:11:34 pm »
my favorite live GD related moment was 7/13/02 Phil and Friends at Great Woods.  I went w/ my good friend Aimee and this girl I work w/ Lynsey and it was both their first GD related show.  Right before the show started I snorted a 10th of mahldog and took 3 tabs, so I was rolling my face off for set 1, but as setbreak settled in it wore off and began tripping my face off.  

I remember during the Darkstar second set opener, I looked at my friend Aimee w/ the biggest cheese grin and she asked me whats up, all I could get out of my mouth was Terrapin and was in absolute joy knowing that they would eventually play Terrapin Station this set.  I felt as though Jerry had came down from heaven and spoke to me for a second and told me that I had a Terrapin coming my way, a couple songs after they finished Dark Star and dropped it right into Lady With a Fan and I loved every second of it.

7/13/02
I- jam> Crazy Fingers*> UJB*> China Cat*> IKYR*, Patchwork Quilt> The Wheel> The Real Thing

II- jam> Dark Star> Again & Again> THE ELEVEN> Dark Star> Lady w/ a Fan> Morning Dew> Terrapin Station> She Said She Said

E- Box of Rain

* w/ Mickey Hart

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2009, 05:15:06 pm »
^^
Hah! Nice.

Last time I saw Terrapin was @ Up North when Bobby played it, not counting Breakfast NYE 08.

And you would have had to be counting by the strip, not tabs, on that particular occasion :disco: ... as for the mahldawg.... didn\'t even make a damn difference :lol:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:19:09 pm by bdfreetuna »

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2009, 05:42:39 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;246932
my favorite live GD related moment was 7/13/02 Phil and Friends at Great Woods.  I went w/ my good friend Aimee and this girl I work w/ Lynsey and it was both their first GD related show.  Right before the show started I snorted a 10th of mahldog and took 3 tabs, so I was rolling my face off for set 1, but as setbreak settled in it wore off and began tripping my face off.  

I remember during the Darkstar second set opener, I looked at my friend Aimee w/ the biggest cheese grin and she asked me whats up, all I could get out of my mouth was Terrapin and was in absolute joy knowing that they would eventually play Terrapin Station this set.  I felt as though Jerry had came down from heaven and spoke to me for a second and told me that I had a Terrapin coming my way, a couple songs after they finished Dark Star and dropped it right into Lady With a Fan and I loved every second of it.

7/13/02
I- jam> Crazy Fingers*> UJB*> China Cat*> IKYR*, Patchwork Quilt> The Wheel> The Real Thing

II- jam> Dark Star> Again & Again> THE ELEVEN> Dark Star> Lady w/ a Fan> Morning Dew> Terrapin Station> She Said She Said

E- Box of Rain

* w/ Mickey Hart

2002 was big for it

Phil & friends 2 nights at GOTV in Mariaville. One of the better if not best Terrapin Sta. I have ever heard. the place was magical that weekend.

The Grateful Dead were an adventure. It was a driving force to get out and see whats up in a time where you had to network / communicate with real people, person to person. People were more friendly and polite in those days it seemed. It really did have a community vibe to it. It was an "inside" joke so to speak that all the heads were in on.

Finding out about the previous shows or how the boys were playing meant you had a conversation with someone who had actually been to the show. Sure things are certainly viewed through rose colored glasses looking back on it but I wouldn\'t trade it for the world

Their music changed my life forever. It is part of who I am today. I cannot say that about more than about a handful of musicians / composers.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Bret

• Sin-ser Breakfasthead
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2009, 06:27:46 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;246911

One mans trash is another mans treasure.  I find treasure even in the slow songs that are dripping with feeling and emotion... something you don\'t find often in todays music scene (with a few exceptions).  Alot can be taken from Hunters lyrics if you take the time to listen and the covers they chose were often done better, in my humble opinion, than the originals.  Songs like Sing Me Back Home, Used to Love Her, It Hurts Me Too, JGB\'s version of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, and so many others gain so much from the boys\' arrangements.  Bob and Jerrys\' guitar playing was soulful and brilliant and Jerrys solos... I\'ve yet to hear someone match them, or his tone for that matter which comes from Jerry, Phil  and Ron Wickershams efforts to get the best sound possible out of the guitar electronics.  Yep, they had a part in that as well.  Just look inside Phils Bass at 3:10 in this video, that\'s what they were coming up with not to mention The Wall of Sound that\'s being set up all around them.

http://www.youtube.com/v/OQvGSzi9bi0&hl=en_US&fs=1&">http://www.youtube.com/v/OQvGSzi9bi0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
Lois: What the hell?  Marilyn Manson?  Is that who\'s causing all this?  Peter: Yeah, it\'s all him or hers fault.  Who does he or she think he or she is?  Look, you can totally see his or her nipples.  That\'s obscene... maybe.  Lois: There\'s only one thing to do.  Peter: You\'re right.  We got to find this Marilyn Manson and I\'ve got to give that bastard or bitch a piece of my mind or penis.