Author Topic: Phish in 2010  (Read 111225 times)

tyzack

• http://
Phish in 2010
« Reply #375 on: September 15, 2010, 02:07:58 pm »
Quote from: wiredchicken;261076
i think that because everyone and their mother thinks it will be PG, that it will be something completely different

What\'s PG?
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
Phish in 2010
« Reply #376 on: September 15, 2010, 03:20:15 pm »
Quote from: tyzack;261079
Quote from: wiredchicken;261076
i think that because everyone and their mother thinks it will be PG, that it will be something completely different

What\'s PG?

Physical Graffiti
Where to next?

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Phish in 2010
« Reply #377 on: September 15, 2010, 07:24:39 pm »
Need to be honest here. Think that these albums from 40 years ago although influential are not influencing this band today. I believe Exile was closure to that band we once knew. I would be more impressed with Phish if they chose an album that they are currently listening to and influencing them than the musicians who once influenced them. That is why some of the covers they played were more from today then yesterday. Rather hear something like Rage Against The Machine then almost any classic rock album even if I love Led Zepplin.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

ellis-d

• Visual Enhancer
Phish in 2010
« Reply #378 on: September 15, 2010, 10:10:22 pm »
I totally agree with sprocket with the sense that exile was closure.  Im calling an entirely new approach to halloween.  Whether it be an overall theme or something that works into all three nights.  Something in my gut\'s telling me no album cover this year, and I\'m gonna be super pisssed to be missing it
The lights from Ellis showed a mischevious sparkle
That flashed in his hollowed eye stare...

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
Phish in 2010
« Reply #379 on: September 16, 2010, 12:34:56 am »
i was thinking that too, i mean wouldn\'t they have started hyping the shit out of it if they were gonna cover an album? i dunno, i wouldn\'t be surprised either way but i would def. rather them NOT play a bunch of classic rock tunes. holy shit so pumped!!!!!!
caress me, aunt jemima

Mamalakabubadaya

Phish in 2010
« Reply #380 on: September 16, 2010, 09:38:59 am »
who else is going to halloween? still can\'t believe i got tix. i am pumped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
Phish in 2010
« Reply #381 on: September 16, 2010, 10:55:43 am »
i am!! 30 and 31
caress me, aunt jemima

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
Phish in 2010
« Reply #382 on: September 16, 2010, 01:09:04 pm »
i got a ticket to utica, anyone else going?  Smallest venue of the tour and I think  since they returned.  Only holds about 5700 for concerts.
DS Newbers

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Phish in 2010
« Reply #383 on: September 16, 2010, 01:16:28 pm »
Quote from: ds673488;261117
i got a ticket to utica, anyone else going?  Smallest venue of the tour and I think  since they returned.  Only holds about 5700 for concerts.

I might meet my little brother out there for that one.

Evil Empire album cover rumor..
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:16:28 pm by bdfreetuna »
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Phish in 2010
« Reply #384 on: September 16, 2010, 11:12:07 pm »
Quote from: Spacey;261092
Need to be honest here. Think that these albums from 40 years ago although influential are not influencing this band today. I believe Exile was closure to that band we once knew. I would be more impressed with Phish if they chose an album that they are currently listening to and influencing them than the musicians who once influenced them. That is why some of the covers they played were more from today then yesterday. Rather hear something like Rage Against The Machine then almost any classic rock album even if I love Led Zepplin.

Agree totally.  After covering The Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, Talking Heads, Velvet Underground, and The Rolling Stones...Led Zeppelin is the obvious choice.  Which is exactly why they won\'t be covering them.  

If there is an album cover, I still think it will be something from the 60\'s or 70\'s.  I don\'t think they\'re comfortable covering anybody who has worked the same era as them, be it Rage, RHCP, Pavement etc.  Maybe they\'ll switch it up by covering an old album that isn\'t classic rock; Miles Davis or Frank Zappa or something like that.

I agree there\'s a decent chance that there won\'t be an album cover at all.  I think they\'ll still do some sort of theme though.  Like maybe get a horn section out and do all of the greatest funk classics.  Whatever it is, I\'m sure it will be a great show.

lilblondie

• the FU queen
Phish in 2010
« Reply #385 on: September 17, 2010, 07:35:52 am »
Quote from: Mamalakabubadaya;261104
who else is going to halloween? still can\'t believe i got tix. i am pumped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rage time!!!!!! super pumped!!!!!!
maybe the sun will shine today...
the clouds will roll away..
maybe i wont be so afraid..
i will understand that everything has its plan...
either way...

tyzack

Phish in 2010
« Reply #386 on: September 17, 2010, 09:11:56 am »
Quote from: Spacey;261092

Does that mean they will be covering Deuce?
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
Phish in 2010
« Reply #387 on: September 21, 2010, 03:16:42 pm »
Hey everyone...

Just read this post on PT and thought it was a very good analysis of PHish 3.0.  Thought it was worth reposting:

Everything organizationally about Phish 3.0 has been about cutting the fat out...no more backstage drug den, no more micromanaging with the band laboring over every little management decision and hiring a new management team and streamlining it, no more stretched out long tours away from family for months and leading to burn out; instead little bursts of tours that are organized in such a way that sort of discourages the tour rattery of old; and so I think this "cut the fat out" mentality bled over to the creative aspects of the band too.

They only really jam when they really feel it, they purposefully started out by going back to the early 90\'s style of short, concise jams, song heavy sets where they started to fold back almost all of the repertoire back into the rotation and almost any song from the catalog could be played(FUCK YOUR FACE!!!), and when they did jam, it was because they were truly feeling it, and they cut down on the directionless noodling...I also think Trey\'s ego getting in the way has helped give Gordon the creative confidence to take over jams and play his bass loud and proud...I think Fishman has improved dramatically since \'09, and Page is still the same solid support that he\'s always been musically, with occasional flashes of leadership too.

Trey\'s new guitar I think worked out the whale heavy kinks that some found offensive in the first half of the summer, and I think that led to some truly beautiful moments(Greek Simple/Light, JB1 Backwards jam, DWD->WTU, etc.), and I think the future of this band is really promising.

And I LOVE fall arena tours, and I think this one is extra special considering they are playing more intimate than normal sheds that they\'ve never played before.

I don\'t know, I kind of love the slow evolution of Phish 3.0, and how they\'re not really forcing anything, and think their organization is much more sustainable and in it for the long haul, and they\'ve managed to structure their music and group in a way that will continue to evolve and have a very promising future of a band whose previous mistakes could have led them down a path of tragic rock cliche, but have a new lease on life personally and musically.
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Phish in 2010
« Reply #388 on: September 21, 2010, 06:58:13 pm »
If nothing else the comment certainly comprises some refreshingly well-articulated Phish analysis emerging from the shitstorm that is PT.  I agree with the main idea that Phish\'s "less is more" approach seems to be beneficial in most cases.

Some good points (read: I agree):
- They only jam when they feel like it
- The tours discourage tour rats
- Discouraging tour rats is good
- Trey\'s new guitar
- Overall things are trending the right way

Some bad points (read: I disagree, or they\'re just silly.)
- Fishman has improved dramatically in the past year. (He\'s the same drummer he\'s always been. Did he suddenly start practicing 5 hours a day and suddenly there\'s some noticeable change in his play? No.)
- Streamlined management (I\'m skeptical that the reader has any idea.)

Thanks for reposting, good post!
-

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
Phish in 2010
« Reply #389 on: September 23, 2010, 02:44:19 pm »
27 and 28 in Woosta\'!!!

and

30, 31 and 1/1 @ MSG!!!
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."