Author Topic: Kung Fu!  (Read 18404 times)

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
Kung Fu!
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 12:57:17 pm »
as a huge stoops fan, I\'m hoping they get another gig on a weekend or up in hartford/western mass one night.
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Kung Fu!
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 01:11:52 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;246585
Quote from: weekapaug19;246580
from jambands.com

A number of familiar faces will share the stage as part of the new group Kung Fu. The band will bring together guitarist Tim Palmieri (The Breakfast), keyboardist Todd Stoops (RAQ), saxophonist Kris Jensen, bassist David Livolsi (bass) and drummer Adrian Tramontano (The Breakfast) for an evening of covers, improvisation and, eventually, original material.
“It’s lethal funk,” explains Palmieri. “It’s music smart and strong enough to defend one’s self, or art’s self. I love this music.” “
The group will kick off a residency at New Haven, CT’s Stella Blues”:http://stellabluesbar.com/ this Monday. The residency will run indefinitely.

http://www.jambands.com/news/2009/11/18/connecticut-kung-fu

That\'s exactly my frustration...

The last mention that TB gets on the site is the fact that Tim and Jordan sat in with TLG back in April...  No mention of the FF or the fact that Live As Is was released...  I really hope that the guys aren\'t paying their promotions person too much, because they\'re not doing anything to earn those greenbacks...

Their promo person is shit.

The only way this band gets any promo on Jambands.com is due to the diligence of Josh Kroop who should just bite the bullet and take the management reins again imo.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

stublatt

Kung Fu!
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 01:17:10 pm »
Quote from: dj dizzy k;246583
All I know is Tim said they\'re gonna be playing "Scatterbrain" by Jeff Beck. If you\'ve ever heard that song you know how ser this group is going to be!

SCATTERBRAIN!!!!!!!

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
Kung Fu!
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 02:04:35 pm »
the dan will be represented as well.

Still exited.

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
Kung Fu!
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 02:09:43 pm »
why bother with a breakfast residency? any and everyone in ct that is gonna see them already knows about them. a residency in nyc, boston, maybe. but daniel street? at least with side projects, people who may dismiss the breakfast as a band they saw ten years ago that is still playing the same sized venues today could see something new and perhaps be convinced to check out the breakfast once again.

i mean, there\'s only so many time you can play the same hundred mile radius and get new fans after this long, ya know?! may as well switch it up some and try to grab n00bs that way...

leith

Kung Fu!
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 02:46:02 pm »
Quote from: jking;246605
why bother with a breakfast residency? any and everyone in ct that is gonna see them already knows about them. a residency in nyc, boston, maybe. but daniel street? at least with side projects, people who may dismiss the breakfast as a band they saw ten years ago that is still playing the same sized venues today could see something new and perhaps be convinced to check out the breakfast once again.

i mean, there\'s only so many time you can play the same hundred mile radius and get new fans after this long, ya know?! may as well switch it up some and try to grab n00bs that way...

Yeah I guess you\'re right no one would come to a residency at Daniel Street because it\'s in CT.

Where is Stella Blue\'s?

No way momentum gets built after the first few weeks at Daniel Street and calls go out to other local CT. musicians like the ones in Kung Fu, Blah Blah,and folks that have sat in with those Willie Waldman projects in the area.

No you\'re right it wouldn\'t be that great.

As for a residency in Boston or NYC well that would be harder due to having to work around job schedules like Jordan\'s that may not be there w/ a CT. residency.

And I still meet people from CT. that have never heard of The Breakfast.

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
Kung Fu!
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 02:48:23 pm »
kung fu.

(getting back on track)

jking

• thanks!!
Kung Fu!
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 02:57:21 pm »
stella blues is in ct. but its not a bfast residency.

No way momentum gets built after the first few weeks at Daniel Street and calls go out to other local CT. musicians like the ones in Kung Fu, Blah Blah,and folks that have sat in with those Willie Waldman projects in the area

so you mean like the side projects we\'re not supposed to get exited about?

and people in ct who haven\'t heard of the breakfast are going to start hearing about them playing at a little club that doesn\'t even have this gig on its website?

you know as well as i do that a ct residency isn\'t what the band needs to increase its fanbase. you\'ve argued it a million times. think of people here who are already fans and still can\'t/don\'t go see them each time they play. if the band played every week, on a weeknight, how much do you really think the crowd will grow week to week? or, they can play with new and different people that may attract new faces to bfast shows. the band can\'t play toads on halloween or nye because the crowd size has dropped too much. do you really think playing every week at the same location will increase the crowds? or, as i think, that it would get rather disheartening once the die hards run out of funds in a couple weeks and the crowd at daniel street diminishes? if the breakfast as a band wants to gain new fans, they need to do it outside of the well worn circuit they\'ve been on. since they can\'t for various reasnos, at least expand the potential audience by playing with new people as often as possible.

leith

Kung Fu!
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 03:44:40 pm »
Quote from: jking;246616
stella blues is in ct. but its not a bfast residency.

No way momentum gets built after the first few weeks at Daniel Street and calls go out to other local CT. musicians like the ones in Kung Fu, Blah Blah,and folks that have sat in with those Willie Waldman projects in the area

so you mean like the side projects we\'re not supposed to get exited about?

and people in ct who haven\'t heard of the breakfast are going to start hearing about them playing at a little club that doesn\'t even have this gig on its website?

you know as well as i do that a ct residency isn\'t what the band needs to increase its fanbase. you\'ve argued it a million times. think of people here who are already fans and still can\'t/don\'t go see them each time they play. if the band played every week, on a weeknight, how much do you really think the crowd will grow week to week? or, they can play with new and different people that may attract new faces to bfast shows. the band can\'t play toads on halloween or nye because the crowd size has dropped too much. do you really think playing every week at the same location will increase the crowds? or, as i think, that it would get rather disheartening once the die hards run out of funds in a couple weeks and the crowd at daniel street diminishes? if the breakfast as a band wants to gain new fans, they need to do it outside of the well worn circuit they\'ve been on. since they can\'t for various reasnos, at least expand the potential audience by playing with new people as often as possible.

NO I agree with you now a residency would probably not work out great that\'s why I posted they should have been doing it for the past 2 years or when they pretty much gave up on touring.

I mean really the local Dead cover band Electric Waste Band plays every Monday night at Winston\'s. Now each Monday is not packed but they always make cash and many folk I know make it the START of the week.
This has been going on for 18 years.

These guys all play in other bands and/or have day jobs like being Doctors and lawyers.
Every week for the past how many years has Tim been playing a solo show?
You\'re telling me that a Breakfast show EVERY week at the same place would have never taken off?
Okaaaaaaay.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Kung Fu!
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 03:48:46 pm »
Quote from: leith;246624
You\'re telling me that a Breakfast show EVERY week at the same place would have never taken off?
Okaaaaaaay.

It\'s called New England? ;)
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

galenas

• Global Moderator
Kung Fu!
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2009, 03:53:11 pm »
Quote from: krispy;246613
kung fu.

(getting back on track)

thanks, dude. for real. this is gonna be sick! everyone\'s really psyched about it.

galenas

• Global Moderator
Kung Fu!
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2009, 04:08:59 pm »
I love Tim\'s quotes from the FB event:

“It’s lethal funk,” Palmieri explains. “It’s music smart and strong enough to defend one’s self, or art’s self."

thatguy

Kung Fu!
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2009, 04:45:33 pm »
this is music i\'v been waiting to play for years!! ser fusion chop fest!!

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
Kung Fu!
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2009, 04:49:27 pm »
Just talked with Todd...  think steely dan on crack!  Yee Haa!~

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
Kung Fu!
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2009, 05:14:06 pm »
Between Tim and Adrian\'s 2 comments, all I know is I am excited as hell to see this and even though it sucks on a Monday night I will be there yo yo!
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07