Author Topic: Kung Fu!  (Read 18476 times)

galenas

• Global Moderator
Kung Fu!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 10:55:07 am »
Quote from: SlimPickens;246552
Anyone got an approx start time for this gig?

9pm. (please see the chase post/calendar event for full info.)

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
Kung Fu!
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 10:56:08 am »

according to the facebook page, it goes from 9-12
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
Kung Fu!
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 11:26:43 am »
Quote from: galenas;246556

9pm. (please see the chase post/calendar event for full info.)

Quote from: zuke583;246558

according to the facebook page, it goes from 9-12

Thanks Zuke.

Galenas...it could be that I\'m blind, but I just went through the Chase post/ calendar and I don\'t see a time.

And a lot of company\'s block facebook... so maybe make the time more visible in the calendar so block heads like me can easily see it.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Kung Fu!
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 11:32:49 am »
You misuderstand my comments... This site is a fans site for TB... It seems that fans are more excited to support the side projects as opposed to the actual band... Without the band, this site does not exist... And I may not get to many or any shows this year, but is that the "only" way a fan can support the band?  I support the band before individuals... If these guys move towards a side project that\'s not essentially a one-man bar jam or a cover band, I might not bitch as much about the band to side project ratio...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
Kung Fu!
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 11:40:11 am »
you\'re right. no one ever talks about how hot the recent shows are, nor about how excited they are for upcoming shows that they can actually make. and turn out for a monday night side project is almost certain to be exponentially better than a weekend breakfast show, so we need to quell that right away! and we fans should certainly not get excited, especially if its a side project of some of our favorite musicians playing songs/genres that some of us really like. just remember, if they ever have a bruce diesel experiement, you\'re not allowed to show any enthusiasm for it. this is the breakfast fan site, after all. what members of the breakfast do in their spare time has no place here.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Kung Fu!
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 11:41:33 am »
Let\'s agree to disagree... I\'ve said my piece...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Kung Fu!
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 11:42:27 am »
Quote from: jking;246569
turn out for a monday night side project is almost certain to be exponentially better than a weekend breakfast show

Probably right about one thing ;)
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Kung Fu!
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 12:16:04 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;246568
You misuderstand my comments... This site is a fans site for TB... It seems that fans are more excited to support the side projects as opposed to the actual band... Without the band, this site does not exist... And I may not get to many or any shows this year, but is that the "only" way a fan can support the band?  I support the band before individuals... If these guys move towards a side project that\'s not essentially a one-man bar jam or a cover band, I might not bitch as much about the band to side project ratio...

You are absolutely correct Yoda in asking why this fanbase gets so excited for side project stuff and does not push for Breakfast residencies.

I have seen maybe 3-4 posts even relating to a Breakfast residency anywhere.

I believe it\'s due to the fact that we KNOW that this is the only way these guys get any Publicity is by playing with people that actually tour the country and can maybe tell others they play with about these awesome cats in podunk New Haven that kick so much ass.

It\'s sad.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Kung Fu!
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 12:27:08 pm »
Yes Leith,

But also I imagine the guys in the band actually enjoy branching out to try different things. As musicians, you know?

Side projects rarely excite me much, partially because they\'ve historically been on weekday nights and taken place out of my weekday driving range in lower CT, and partially because The Breakfast is such a seriously incredible band I also wish they could devote all their time and efforts to this.

However, there\'s really nothing that can be lost even to a hardcore Breakfast fan by side projects. The way I see it, as long as it\'s not cutting into the Breakfast show schedule, playing with other musicians in diverse styles can only help add to the FUSION that takes place within The Breakfast :shrug:

Plus I can only imagine the guys get an itch to do something different and probably get paid for it too. If they can do that without splitting up the band or minimizing "The Breakfast" .. more power to these fine musicians and best of luck in all their ventures!

Especially considering that this Kung Fu! thing seems aimed towards something jazzy? I really like when The Breakfast busts into jazzy feeling jams and if this has any influence on The Breakfast I think it might be a good thing.... probably especially for fans like you and me who shit bricks at the idea of The Breakfast becoming another "livetronica" act and firmly believe FUSION IS BEST ;)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 12:35:11 pm by bdfreetuna »
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
Kung Fu!
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 12:35:47 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;246576
more power to these fine musicians and best of luck in all their ventures!

you\'re in the wrong thread, brah! this is the thread where we selfishly bitch about musicians that we like playing awesome gigs. extra points if you\'re not going to the show and haven\'t seen them in years...
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Kung Fu!
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009, 12:40:09 pm »
Yes Leith,

But also I imagine the guys in the band actually enjoy branching out to try different things. As musicians, you know?

Side projects rarely excite me much, partially because they\'ve historically been on weekday nights and taken place out of my weekday driving range in lower CT, and partially because The Breakfast is such a seriously incredible band I also wish they could devote all their time and efforts to this.

However, there\'s really nothing that can be lost even to a hardcore Breakfast fan by side projects. The way I see it, as long as it\'s not cutting into the Breakfast show schedule, playing with other musicians in diverse styles can only help add to the FUSION that takes place within The Breakfast :shrug:

Plus I can only imagine the guys get an itch to do something different and probably get paid for it too. If they can do that without splitting up the band or minimizing "The Breakfast" .. more power to these fine musicians and best of luck in all their ventures!

Especially considering that this Kung Fu! thing seems aimed towards something jazzy? I really like when The Breakfast busts into jazzy feeling jams and if this has any influence on The Breakfast I think it might be a good thing.... probably especially for fans like you and me who shit bricks at the idea of The Breakfast becoming another "livetronica" act and firmly believe FUSION IS BEST ;)

No I get WHY they do it and yeah they probably do get paid better. No actually I know they get paid better for side project gigs. It\'s one of the things that pisses me off so much is that The Breakfast gets the short shrift EVERY fucking time.

My agreement w/ Yoda was over the fact that people do get pumped more for say Timmy Tour than shows it seems and have never really pushed for a Breakfast residency at all.

They should have been at Daniel Street every week for the past 2 years or since they stopped touring.

Really.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
Kung Fu!
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 12:40:22 pm »
from jambands.com

A number of familiar faces will share the stage as part of the new group Kung Fu. The band will bring together guitarist Tim Palmieri (The Breakfast), keyboardist Todd Stoops (RAQ), saxophonist Kris Jensen, bassist David Livolsi (bass) and drummer Adrian Tramontano (The Breakfast) for an evening of covers, improvisation and, eventually, original material.
“It’s lethal funk,” explains Palmieri. “It’s music smart and strong enough to defend one’s self, or art’s self. I love this music.” “
The group will kick off a residency at New Haven, CT’s Stella Blues”:http://stellabluesbar.com/ this Monday. The residency will run indefinitely.
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

dj dizzy k

• Breakfast connoisseur
Kung Fu!
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 12:46:37 pm »
All I know is Tim said they\'re gonna be playing "Scatterbrain" by Jeff Beck. If you\'ve ever heard that song you know how ser this group is going to be!

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Kung Fu!
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2009, 12:50:25 pm »
Quote from: weekapaug19;246580
from jambands.com

A number of familiar faces will share the stage as part of the new group Kung Fu. The band will bring together guitarist Tim Palmieri (The Breakfast), keyboardist Todd Stoops (RAQ), saxophonist Kris Jensen, bassist David Livolsi (bass) and drummer Adrian Tramontano (The Breakfast) for an evening of covers, improvisation and, eventually, original material.
“It’s lethal funk,” explains Palmieri. “It’s music smart and strong enough to defend one’s self, or art’s self. I love this music.” “
The group will kick off a residency at New Haven, CT’s Stella Blues”:http://stellabluesbar.com/ this Monday. The residency will run indefinitely.

http://www.jambands.com/news/2009/11/18/connecticut-kung-fu

That\'s exactly my frustration...

The last mention that TB gets on the site is the fact that Tim and Jordan sat in with TLG back in April...  No mention of the FF or the fact that Live As Is was released...  I really hope that the guys aren\'t paying their promotions person too much, because they\'re not doing anything to earn those greenbacks...

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Kung Fu!
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2009, 12:52:18 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;246577
more power to these fine musicians and best of luck in all their ventures!

you\'re in the wrong thread, brah! this is the thread where we selfishly bitch about musicians that we like playing awesome gigs. extra points if you\'re not going to the show and haven\'t seen them in years...

lol. I\'m in a good mood today. I\'m just gonna go with it, ok ;)

Quote from: leith;246579
My agreement w/ Yoda was over the fact that people do get pumped more for say Timmy Tour than shows it seems and have never really pushed for a Breakfast residency at all.

They should have been at Daniel Street every week for the past 2 years or since they stopped touring.

I don\'t know if people really get more pumped for Timmy Tour. I\'ve never seen a TT show though, due to it\'s weekday New Haven-ish-ness, but I imagine it\'s regular weekly schedule and hanging out at a pizza joint with Bfam and hearing some pretty diverse and fun setlists by Mr Tim Palmieri himself would be something to get excited about. However I doubt there are really many people at all who wouldn\'t be even more excited for a full-force electric Breakfast show. Just the impression I get, anyway.

Quote from: weekapaug19;246580
“It’s lethal funk,” explains Palmieri. “It’s music smart and strong enough to defend one’s self, or art’s self. I love this music.”

Sounds good to me! Lethal, hell yea! Funk overdose!

Actually sorta sucks that I doubt I can make it to any of these shows unless it\'s a holiday or something.. I know I\'d have to probably apologize to Mr. Stoops for bashing his one performance with The Breakfast.. I got nothing against him though and I\'m sure it was just a rough night with a lot of new complex material to try to hang with. And I really wanted Jordan back in The Breakfast at the time. Oooh , looks like I win!