Author Topic: 2008-09 Men\'s College Basketball Thread  (Read 6205 times)

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
2008-09 Men\'s College Basketball Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 09:09:26 am »
Quote from: zuke583;253043
not a pretty game last night, but i\'ll take another win over a top-10 team. i really do feel like this uconn team can beat anybody else in the country. unfortunately, i feel like they can lose to any team in the country also. just one of those years. one thing you rarely hear announcers say about this team: "wow! what a smart play!" i hear a lot about the athleticism and the talent, but they rarely make heady plays...i guess that explains the constant turnovers. oh well. a win\'s a win. go uconn

I agree.  It seems like over the last 3 games (@(3)Villanova, @Rutgers, vs.(7)WV) we have looked like a team playing to our potential.  I think that we finally discovered that we are not the same run and gun offense that we have been in the past.  We have the athleticism to run the court, but more often than not it leads to turnovers.  We average 15 turnovers a game, and the turnovers is what have killed us this season.  Kentucky, Syracuse, and Georgetown were all winable games decided by only a few points.  When you turn the ball over 5-10 times less a game those close losses become victories.  If we continue to play a game that suits our style, we can compete with any team in the Big East...but like Zuke said, this is also a team that can lose to any team in the country.  I would like to see us continue our consistent play leading up to the Big East Tournament.

Also...after last night\'s game, Joe Lunardi has UCONN as one of his "last 4 in" for the NCAA Tournament.
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 10:38:55 am »
Quote from: NickNels;253048
I agree.  It seems like over the last 3 games (@(3)Villanova, @Rutgers, vs.(7)WV) we have looked like a team playing to our potential.  I think that we finally discovered that we are not the same run and gun offense that we have been in the past.  We have the athleticism to run the court, but more often than not it leads to turnovers.

I think Connecticut\'s half-court offense is crap, and they HAVE to run and gun. Turnovers are not as static a number as people think. 15 turnovers are high, but 15 turnovers to a methodical (Big Ten-esque) team that wins 54-46 are way more damaging than 15 turnovers to a Connecticut team that wants to take 80 shots in 40 minutes. Also, let\'s not forget than offensive fouls are also turnovers, and the Huskies commit a lot of those just by being aggressive.

The only way the Huskies can beat a good team in the half court is when they clear out and let Walker or Dyson create (essentially turning a half-court offense into a running offense) and hope that the whistles are warmed up. Even the best teams that try to run with Connecticut are going to get beat (Texas), or at least challenged way more than they should (Kentucky), while mediocre teams that can control the tempo (Michigan, Cincinnati) can turn the Huskies into a jumper and post-play team. And if a team like Connecticut beats you with jumpers and post play, it\'s just not your day.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2010, 11:29:02 am »
\'CUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2010, 11:52:05 am »
#1!!!