Author Topic: Beatles A-Z on Hidden Track!! Show the love!  (Read 2006 times)

galenas

• Global Moderator
Beatles A-Z on Hidden Track!! Show the love!
« on: July 29, 2009, 11:07:41 am »
This one is big, people! Hidden Track is one of the most respected music blogs in the "jam" scene. (And they are awesome people, too!) Please, show them that the Bfam supports what they do. Post some comments. Thank you!!! Here\'s the write up.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 12:03:28 pm »
Why are people so into A-Z?

Beatles had a few undeniably epic and timeless tunes but overall 95% of their songs suck ass.  For every classic there is at least 9 pieces of garbage.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 12:08:12 pm »
Quote from: Klout;237050
Why are people so into A-Z?

Beatles had a few undeniably epic and timeless tunes but overall 95% of their songs suck ass.  For every classic there is at least 9 pieces of garbage.

that\'s like.....your opinion.....man.........

after 40 plus years and millions of fans spanning the decades means absolutely nothing......not to mention the influence they have had on just about every musician out there.......
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 12:19:09 pm »
not denying the size of their fan base or their influence or the fact that they have some amazing tracks that are pretty much ingrained in the collective consciousness at this point.

I feel however that the number of crap tunes greatly outweighs the number of hits which in turns makes me wonder how entertaining these shows actually are.  I have never been though so I guess I am not qualified to judge in the first place.  Maybe the bfast and live performance twists are enough to liven up all the stinkers.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:23:03 pm by Klout »

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 12:50:08 pm »
Quote from: Klout;237054
not denying the size of their fan base or their influence or the fact that they have some amazing tracks that are pretty much ingrained in the collective consciousness at this point.

I feel however that the number of crap tunes greatly outweighs the number of hits which in turns makes me wonder how entertaining these shows actually are.  I have never been though so I guess I am not qualified to judge in the first place.  Maybe the bfast and live performance twists are enough to liven up all the stinkers.

I would love to know what tunes you think are so called "crap"........

Regarding the A-Z project: It is Beatles music played by serious musicians who happen to be serious Beatles fans......The end result is just a happy happy joy joy that taps into that collective consciousness that has been so ingrained over the decades......
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 01:40:13 pm »
You can hate on the beatles for a handful of things, but the quality of their songs is not one of them.  They put out 13 studio albums in 7 years, how many bands can say they\'ve done that; with that large a catalogue in a short amount of time, there\'s going to be some songs that don\'t meet the standard of their great songs, but is that really something to complaign about?

- 22 US #1 Songs
- 25 UK #1 Songs
- 19 #1 Albums
- 31 Top 10 Albums

Those 4 bullets speak for themselves...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

dredmonkey

• yougotiigotyou
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 02:03:59 pm »
we\'re not actually arguing beatles, right?

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 02:21:03 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;237067

- 22 US #1 Songs
- 19 #1 Albums

Those 2 bullets speak for themselves...

My point exactly!

Avg. 1.15 epic songs per album over the course of their career

The end result is lots of amazing tunes and lots of turds, especially in the early years.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 02:35:05 pm »
I guess its something you gotta be a fan of to fully appreciate, but Beatles A to Z shows are great for Breakfast fans(and moreso non Breakfast fans).  I got to see them play 1 show at Daniel St. last summer and I think 1 or 2 other shows, and all were a good time,  people of all ages were into it, and the band had a great time as well.  There really was an amazing vibe at the Daniel St. show that I went to, and felt lucky to be part of such a great evening.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 02:37:13 pm »
fair enough

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 02:37:31 pm »
Quote from: Klout;237074
Quote from: Yoda;237067

- 22 US #1 Songs
- 19 #1 Albums

Those 2 bullets speak for themselves...

My point exactly!

Avg. 1.15 epic songs per album over the course of their career

The end result is lots of amazing tunes and lots of turds, especially in the early years.

and thats a really stupid analysis, I\'m sure there are plenty of great performers who averaged less than 1 #1 song per album, and probably even more that had 0.  I\'d like to see someone breakdown the amount of #1 songs Frank Zappa or the Grateful Dead had per album.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 02:42:09 pm »
Ok so list the 19 #1 songs and then provide a supplementary list of equally awesome non #1 songs that fill out the rest of their musical catalog and prove me wrong.

They had their mega hits, they had their semi-decent tracks, and they had a lot of duds.  Thats all I am sayin
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:42:09 pm by Klout »

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 03:03:34 pm »
Quote from: Klout;237082
Ok so list the 19 #1 songs and then provide a supplementary list of equally awesome non #1 songs that fill out the rest of their musical catalog and prove me wrong.

They had their mega hits, they had their semi-decent tracks, and they had a lot of duds.  Thats all I am sayin

#1\'s - A Hard Day\'s Night, All You Need Is Love, Can\'t Buy Me Love, Come Together, Eight Days A Week, For You Blue, Get Back, Hello Goodbye, Help!, Hey Jude, I Feel Fine, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Let It Be, Love Me Do, Paperback Writer, Penny Lane, She Loves You, Something, The Long And Winding Road, Ticket To Ride, We Can Work It Out, Yesterday

Other Great Songs

Please Please Me (Album) - I Saw Her Standing Standing There

With The Beatles (Album) - All My Loving, Till There Was You

Can\'t Buy Me Love (Album) - If I Fell, Anytime At All

Beatles For Sale (Album) - The Lennon Trilogy (No Reply, I\'m A Loser, Baby\'s In Black)

Help! (Album) - You\'ve Got To Hide Your Love Away

Rubber Soul (Album) - Norweigan Wood, Michelle, In My Life

Revolver (Album) - Taxman, Eleanor Rigby, Yellow Submarine

Sgt. Pepper (Album) - The whole album is epic

Magical Mystery Tour (Album) - Magical Mystery Tour, Blue Jay Way, I Am The Walrus, Strawberry Fields Forever

The White Album - The whole album is epic (that\'s why phish covered it)

Yellow Submarine (Album) - Hey Bulldog

Abbey Road (Album) - Oh! Darling, Octopus\'s Garden, I Want You (She\'s So Heavy), Here Comes The Sun, Mean Mr. Mustard, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, The End

Let It Be (Album) - Two Of Us, Across The Universe, I\'ve Got A Feeling

And I\'d like to add Free As A Bird and Real Love from Anthology...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 03:03:56 pm »
Quote from: Klout;237082

Here is a list of all of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Beatles_songs

There are a lot so feel free to post your turds
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 03:04:39 pm »
"I Want to Hold Your Hand" (1964, 7 weeks), "She Loves You" (1964, 2 weeks), "Can\'t Buy Me Love" (1964, 5 weeks), "Love Me Do" (1964, 1 week), "A Hard Day\'s Night" (1964, 2 weeks), "I Feel Fine" (1964, 3 weeks), "Eight Days a Week" (1965, 2 weeks), "Ticket to Ride" (1965, 1 week), "Help!" (1965, 3 weeks), "Yesterday" (1965, 4 weeks), "We Can Work It Out" (1965, 3 weeks), "Paperback Writer" (1966, 2 weeks), "Penny Lane" (1967, 1 week), "All You Need Is Love" (1967, 1 week), "Hello, Goodbye" (1967, 3 weeks), "Hey Jude" (1968, 9 weeks), "Get Back" (1969, 5 weeks), "Come Together"/"Something" (1969, 1 week), "Let It Be" (1970, 2 weeks), "The Long and Winding Road" (1970, 2 weeks)

other songs:
I Want You(She\'s So Heavy)
Here Comes the Sun
Sgt. Pepper\'s Lonely Hearts Club Band
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
A Day In The Life
Fool on the Hill
I am the Walrus
Strawberry Fields Forever
In My Life
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Revolution
Across the Universe
I\'ve Got a Feeling

And I\'m not even scratching the surface w/ the really good tunes like Yer Blues and Oh Darling
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:08:52 pm by Igziabeher »