Author Topic: The 2009-2010 NHL Thread  (Read 21126 times)

tyzack

• http://
The 2009-2010 NHL Thread
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:09:33 pm »
What better way to star this thread than with this annoucment:

Text Size
The home of the Boston Red Sox will finally host a National Hockey League game.

The NHL announced on Wednesday that the 2009-2010 regular season schedule would be highlighted by a matchup at Boston\'s Fenway Park between the Bruins and Philadelphia Flyers on Jan. 1.

"A unique event deserves a unique venue, and we are delighted the Bruins and Flyers will renew their rivalry with the \'Green Monster\' providing the backdrop," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "We welcome our fans, our teams, our sponsors and the great city of Boston to this annual celebration of our sport."

In what has recently become an annual event, the 2010 Winter Classic game marks the fourth time in five seasons that a regular season game has taken place in an outdoor venue.

The idea for a winter game began with the Heritage Classic in November 2003, when the Montreal Canadiens beat the Edmonton Oilers 4-3 at Edmonton\'s Commonwealth Stadium.

The first branded Winter Classic was held New Year\'s Day in 2008, at Buffalo\'s Ralph Wilson Stadium, where the Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Buffalo Sabres 2-1 in a shootout in front more than 71,000 fans.

Last January, the Detroit Red Wings beat the Chicago Blackhawks 6-4 at Wrigley Field.

I have to say that I think that football statidums are better suited for hockey because of the way the seats are set up to view longitudinal motion - as opposed to the more "open" area of a baseball park.

Also, I disagree with the choice of the Flyers, I would have suggested the Habs or the Rangers for (real revials and better ratings) respectfully.

My guess is that they did not want to give the Rangers games on back-to-back new years, and I am sure that NYC will host a classic sooner rather than later.

...Maybe Rangers vs. Islanders once Taverse matures a bit.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
The 2009-2010 NHL Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:43:40 pm »
Apparently the latest owners of the Sox are doing anything and everything to make a profit... since they\'ve bought the team look at all the concert events that have been held there.  This year has been the most rediculous 2 DMB shows, 1 Phish show, 2 Paul McCartney shows to come.  On top of the 500 consecutive sellouts that they\'ve had... every other event that occurs they jack up the price of all the concessions.  Don\'t get me wrong... I\'m a huge Sox fan, I love Fenway Park (for what it is... obviously what it loses in size it makes up for in history) but... god damn... when they are making a killing on all these things... and then their hesistant to sign Jason Bay and Kevin Youkilis to long term contracts?  Now they just seem to be getting greedy.  Oh and don\'t forget the Fenway/Roush racing team too...
Where to next?

tyzack

The 2009-2010 NHL Thread
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:13:21 pm »
Quote from: simpletwistupdon;236184
Oh and don\'t forget the Fenway/Roush racing team too...

I try to.

Also, I think that the "bleachers" in the outfield will be better seats than the traditional diamond seats.

The first base/third base line will also be good...but obivously the green monster will be the best.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 05:13:21 pm by tyzack »

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
The 2009-2010 NHL Thread
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 05:58:03 pm »
I\'m guessing that they would orient the ice so it didn\'t go over the infield?  Anyone know how the layout was at Wrigley last year?
Where to next?

sahdeditty

The 2009-2010 NHL Thread
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:12:35 am »
Center Ice is going to be almost exactly where second base is for the game at fenway.

Wrigley last year:

Pretty much the same setup as last year at Wrigley.
Glad I locked up my season tickets So I\'ll be there.
"When The Fuck did we get Ice Cream?"
" I went to the store to buy a candle holder, they didn\'t have any so I bought a Cake!"

tyzack

The 2009-2010 NHL Thread
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 10:11:47 am »
I never understood the logic of that setup.

It would make more sense to have the ice going from home->center.

That is the axis of motion that the seats are designed to watch. They are not build to watch base-running.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
The 2009-2010 NHL Thread
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 10:47:59 am »
Quote from: tyzack;236229
I never understood the logic of that setup.

It would make more sense to have the ice going from home->center.

That is the axis of motion that the seats are designed to watch. They are not build to watch base-running.

My guess is it probably has more to do with where the camera stands are etc

I agree that philly is a meh choice. Should have been the habs

And if they were going to do it in NYC they dropped the ball big time by not having it in old yankee stadium before they closed it.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

tyzack

The 2009-2010 NHL Thread
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 10:55:21 am »
Quote from: kindm\'s;236231

And if they were going to do it in NYC they dropped the ball big time by not having it in old yankee stadium before they closed it.

It\'ll be at gaints statuim between the islanders in 2012 (to showcase tavarse) and who ever is bettern devils/rangers...

Or just devils/rangers in 2011?

I think there will another outdoor game in montreal this year (or at least those are teh rumors)

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
The 2009-2010 NHL Thread
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 12:48:04 pm »
Quote from: tyzack;236232

It\'ll be at gaints statuim between the islanders in 2012 (to showcase tavarse) and who ever is bettern devils/rangers...

I think there will another outdoor game in montreal this year (or at least those are teh rumors)

yuck. Giants stadium

they\'ll do it at citi or yankee before the meadowlands if it involves the rags
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

sahdeditty

The 2009-2010 NHL Thread
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 12:53:37 pm »
Bruins/Canadiens wasn\'t an option for this years game. NBC owns the broadcasting rights to the game and can\'t broadcast it in Canada. They needed an agreement with TSN to show broadcast it up there. It should have been either B\'s/Caps or B\'s/Rangers. Rumor is a Game will be played in Calgary on the first. Falmes/Canucks is what I read shomewhere
"When The Fuck did we get Ice Cream?"
" I went to the store to buy a candle holder, they didn\'t have any so I bought a Cake!"

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
The 2009-2010 NHL Thread
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 01:01:52 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;236237
Quote from: tyzack;236232

yuck. Giants stadium

I don\'t hate the idea of Giants Stadium, but if you\'re going to have it in NJ, the Devils play in it... The Giants and Jets may have NY in their name, but they\'re a NJ team!
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

tyzack

The 2009-2010 NHL Thread
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 01:06:31 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;236237

yuck. Giants stadium

Baseball stadiums suck for hockey. I am not going to change my opinion on that.

Quote from: sahdeditty;236238
Bruins/Canadiens wasn\'t an option for this years game. NBC owns the broadcasting rights to the game and can\'t broadcast it in Canada. They needed an agreement with TSN to show broadcast it up there. It should have been either B\'s/Caps or B\'s/Rangers. Rumor is a Game will be played in Calgary on the first. Falmes/Canucks is what I read shomewhere

Yes, I have heard that rumor as well...hopefully it will be aired in the US.

Quote from: Yoda;236239

I don\'t hate the idea of Giants Stadium, but if you\'re going to have it in NJ, the Devils play in it... The Giants and Jets may have NY in their name, but they\'re a NJ team!

Okay then, Devils/Someone at Giants.

However, again in terms of markets, I doubt they will do two teams from the same market.

Maybe Devils/Caps or Devils/Sharks....

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
The 2009-2010 NHL Thread
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 01:08:40 pm »
If the Devs are in it and it\'s NJ they have to play the Rangers.  

Here\'s a novel idea.  Have the game at a neutral site each year and have a rematch of the stanley cup finals.  That\'s an easy way to decide who plays....
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

tyzack

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
The 2009-2010 NHL Thread
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 07:50:50 am »
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies