Author Topic: Ellis on Lights  (Read 21956 times)

Spunk

• http://www.rezi.org
Ellis on Lights
« on: June 24, 2009, 04:48:13 am »
LD for the Sonic Bloom Festival
and for the Music Hall for High Sierra Music Festival (Late Night Stage)
props!

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
Ellis on Lights
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 08:39:57 am »
nice going man, wish i could make it out to see the show
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Ellis on Lights
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 08:55:38 am »
:thumbsup:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

galenas

• Global Moderator
Ellis on Lights
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 10:15:32 am »
nice!! god i miss him w/ the breakfast... we used to be SO spoiled!!

jking

• thanks!!
Ellis on Lights
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 10:25:13 am »
nice man, congrats!!

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Ellis on Lights
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 10:25:46 am »
Big ups chief!
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Ellis on Lights
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 11:13:26 am »
I had a conversation about ellis\' style with leith a few weeks ago. Personally, I didn\'t care for his lighting for the breakfast. Sure it was better than nothing or a novice jumping in and just playing, and I\'m not saying it doesn\'t work in the right setting, it\'s just that (for me) the breakfast was not it. musically it worked. The problem was the venues. You can see Ellis\' influences from ck5 in his show the same way you can hear a musicians influence in their playing but the rooms were WAY TOO SMALL for what he was trying to do. IMO, for what ellis does with his style, he needs a much bigger stage and lighting grid, something which at the time the breakfast simply couldn\'t deliver him. In a nice sized theater though with more than 3 intelli and a couple of cans I think he definietly has the potential to put on an awesome show so this is a much needed step in the right direction for him. You don\'t want to see a guitarist playing in a hole in the wall pull out 8 marshal stacks, you don\'t want to see ellis having to cram what he\'s trying to do into that size room either. For the lights to have their full effect you need room for the beams to spread out more than 50 feet wall to wall.

Also, sd video looks like garbage with the amount of darkness he uses. If we had hd, it would look great but we can\'t adjust iris levels with our current gear, so most bfast shows I was cursing ellis under my breath. :lol:

Best of luck man. I\'d love to see what you could pull off with the right sized room.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
Ellis on Lights
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 11:29:20 am »
Quote from: FrankZappa;234390
so most bfast shows I was cursing ellis under my breath.

who wasn\'t (other than me and D Dubs)?

Congratulations Gregory Michael..................
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:14:18 pm by Stephengencs »
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

tyzack

Ellis on Lights
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 11:38:59 am »
I loved all his work.

I thought it went well with the whole feel that he, and the breakfast, should definitely be playing in bigger places than red square.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
Ellis on Lights
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 12:06:44 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs;234392
so most bfast shows I was cursing ellis under my breath.

who wasn\'t (other than me)?

Congratulations Gregory Michael..................

i had a great time taking pics. more artistry involved in taking photos at that point
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
Ellis on Lights
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 12:37:31 pm »
his lights used to look amazing at red square, b/c the stage is so deep...i always thought RS showcased his lights better than other small venues
DS Newbers

ellis-d

• Visual Enhancer
Ellis on Lights
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 03:50:50 pm »
I totally agree, red square was one of my favorites. I understand where some people are coming from as far as it being "too much" at times. But lets think about this in context. Isnt the breakfast a bit over the top? Its not exactly chill music, so my part in the equation as i saw it was to equal their intensity and their ability to blow peoples minds. If i went about it any other way, and i could have, i never would have been satisfied. It is a shame that the opportunities to truly exhibit my mental picture of what it should be like were few and far between. But such is life. Thanks for all the support guys. Hope to see some of yall in the mountains sooner than later
The lights from Ellis showed a mischevious sparkle
That flashed in his hollowed eye stare...

tyzack

Ellis on Lights
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 04:03:44 pm »
Red square was a bad example.

...Mill Street Brews?
...Sullys?

I liked his lights at wheel house.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
Ellis on Lights
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 04:14:10 pm »
i never once said to myself during a show that i thought ellis\'s lights were too much...all positive IMO
DS Newbers

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Ellis on Lights
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 07:21:33 pm »
You don\'t want to see a guitarist playing in a hole in the wall pull out 8 marshal stacks

I don\'t want to see anyone pull out 8 Marshall stacks.

I see what you are saying though. I wouldn\'t say Ellis\' potential was wasted on The Breakfast... but it takes a true Breakfast fan to be able to predict their changes on the money and evolve the feeling with/of the jams. If the guy can jam lights to Breakfast what can\'t he do?

Love to see you playin\' with a big rig some time bro... unfortunately I don\'t get out to western America pretty much ever. :(
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising