Poll

How concerned/worried are you about the swine flu?

ot worried at all.
28 (70%)
orta worried.
9 (22.5%)
ERY WORRIED!
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: 40 confirmed cases of swine flu in united states  (Read 13753 times)

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
40 confirmed cases of swine flu in united states
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 08:49:18 am »
You guys are mostly retarded except for Princess in this thread.

Then again SARS, Bird Flu, etc mostly affected areas with poor medical treatment. Why do you think Mexicans are dying but hardly any Americans?

That said, there is a strong argument *against* flu vaccinations.... the problem is when some people get them, allow mutations to be forced (viral evolution sped up due to necessity) and others don\'t and are then hit by some kind of super-flu.

You can\'t make the whole world take flu shots, even if you could accurate predict which strains to vaccinate against each year. Why not make your babies take their baths in Lysol ...

Let nature do it her way before she gets really fucking pissed.

I believe my death will come via heart attack due to a super flu. But not this year, and not next year either.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:51:29 am by bdfreetuna »
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 09:11:30 am »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;228421
You guys are mostly retarded except for Princess in this thread.

Then again SARS, Bird Flu, etc mostly affected areas with poor medical treatment. Why do you think Mexicans are dying but hardly any Americans?

That said, there is a strong argument *against* flu vaccinations.... the problem is when some people get them, allow mutations to be forced (viral evolution sped up due to necessity) and others don\'t and are then hit by some kind of super-flu.

You can\'t make the whole world take flu shots, even if you could accurate predict which strains to vaccinate against each year. Why not make your babies take their baths in Lysol ...

Let nature do it her way before she gets really fucking pissed.

I believe my death will come via heart attack due to a super flu. But not this year, and not next year either.

I agree with you, but I don\'t...  Up until this year I never had a flu shot... I was on line at work to get one last year and decided against it because I wasn\'t feeling great; turns out, I had the flu... My wife was given the flu shot when she was pregnant because it built up somewhat of an immunity for the baby when she was born... That being said, pretty much all babies in the US are given the shot, so as a precaution, we both get the shot...  In all honesty, I have no problem with people choosing not to get a flu shot, but don\'t blame me when you end up with the flu or some beefed up version of it; I\'m sure that an opportunity to get the shot was out there...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 09:18:40 am »
Last year\'s flu shot didn\'t even vaccinate against any of the predominant three flu strains in the United States. So yeah I had the opportunity but it wouldn\'t have even affected me if I had taken it. Guess what, placebo effect or luck on your part if you didn\'t get the flu last year either. I actually had three cases of distinctly different but all incredibly bad flu\'s last year... none of which were predicted for last season\'s flu shot. (It\'s fairly easy to figure out which strain of flu you probably have with regional tracking and effect profiles)

Last years flu shot = worthless in terms of preventing flu but great for encouraging viral mutations

It\'s getting to the point where the influenza strains mutate too quickly to prepare a shot for them, which from what I hear is usually based on last year\'s flu strains and maybe some predictive elements as well. Maybe Princess can weigh in here with more details and convince me that the flu shot isn\'t an increasingly total crapshoot.

And trust me I will not only blame you but all the people in the world needlessly taking worthless flu shots when I get some super flu. No offense, but you are fucking over the world.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:22:22 am by bdfreetuna »
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 09:31:14 am »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;228425
And trust me I will not only blame you but all the people in the world needlessly taking worthless flu shots when I get some super flu. No offense, but you are fucking over the world.

Blame away... If there\'s even a remote chance that the shot will keep my daughter from getting the flu, then I\'ll do it... Already seen what the stomach bug does to a 1-year old, don\'t want to see what the flu does to her... My priority on that level is to my family and myself... No offense... Just doing my part to fuck over the world...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 09:35:31 am »
I don\'t blame you. In your situation I would do the same thing...... if the flu shot actually worked and didn\'t help create super-flus instead. Nobody knew last year\'s flu shot would be totally worthless and the media makes it sound like most people should get it. So I don\'t blame you. YET!!! ;)

However for a Jedi I\'m surprised to see your emotions get the best of you. 1 year olds are supposed to get stomach bugs, and no shit the little buggers seem like they\'re almost gonna die from even that. Children and especially babies need to get sick so they develop healthy immune systems. If your kid can\'t handle a flu and dies, it\'s natural selection, people get stronger, flu gets weaker. (dont take it personal pops, I mean kids in general)

Seriously, somebody make a flu shot that wipes out a vast panel of flu strains and compensates for unpredicted strains --- not that you could probably inject this into a lot of people without killing them or at least giving them a serious case of flu --- and I\'m all over that shit. Problem is, it\'s gotta be everyone at once or nobody.

Generation uber(flu)menschen, here we come!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:43:09 am by bdfreetuna »

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 09:55:31 am »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;228429
If your kid can\'t handle a flu and dies, it\'s natural selection, people get stronger, flu gets weaker. (dont take it personal pops, I mean kids in general)
QUOTE]

You can say, don\'t take it person, but when you you say "If your kid can\'t handle a flu and dies, it\'s natural selection...", how the fuck else am I supposed to take it?  If you have a kid, then I\'ll value your opinion somewhat, but until that day comes STFU about kids dying and it being natural selection...

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 10:00:33 am »
Quote from: princesscaspian;228396
we filled 4 scripts for Tamiflu today

Wasn\'t there something back like 4-5 years ago (maybe even more) that everyone freaked out and made their docs prescribe tamiflu and then tamiflu went on backorder.....  I can remember us at York St. being the only ones having it and people flocking to us.   makes me think that Roche Labs has started a frenzy to sell their product... hmmmmmm   we\'ll add this to my long list of conspiracies.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 10:12:48 am »
youll be fine elisa.  the odds of getting this are about that of winning the lottery, and all thepeople who have gotten it in the US have been fine with our western medicine.

the news loves to blow things up...i dont have TV in my house so im perfectly content.  no swine flu here.

i did hear that Buster got it though (dont tell tonya)
DS Newbers

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 10:16:02 am »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;228435
Quote from: princesscaspian;228396
we filled 4 scripts for Tamiflu today

Wasn\'t there something back like 4-5 years ago (maybe even more) that everyone freaked out and made their docs prescribe tamiflu and then tamiflu went on backorder.....  I can remember us at York St. being the only ones having it and people flocking to us.   makes me think that Roche Labs has started a frenzy to sell their product... hmmmmmm   we\'ll add this to my long list of conspiracies.

There are definately interests served by having this in the media.  What I find curious is that people in this country die of the regular old flu every year. I\'m sure in countries like Mexico it\'s even more common. Viruses can be deadly. Wash your hands. But the media hype is suspcious.

For the record- I had the flu last week.  Kicked my ass.  But I\'m fully recovered and I feel FINE now.  It wasn\'t any crazy super flu.  So if you feel a little under the weather, it\'s no need to start digging your grave.  Sleep, drink fluids, and maybe go see a doctor.

Remain calm.  All is well.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 10:16:32 am »

phirehead

• dodging ser crazy
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 10:18:47 am »
^^
rotfl

Yeah, I\'m not too worried. If, in the off chance I happen to get it, then I get it. If it\'s your time, then there\'s nothing you can do about it, but I understand people\'s concern.

I\'m not going to worry about catching something from someone who was dating a pig.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 10:23:20 am »
it\'s not herpes if it\'s everywhere
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 10:25:23 am »
i haven\'t had a flu shot in 10 years and unfortunately for some of you i\'m still alive.....
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 10:25:40 am »
Quote from: Yoda;228434
Quote from: bdfreetuna;228429
If your kid can\'t handle a flu and dies, it\'s natural selection, people get stronger, flu gets weaker. (dont take it personal pops, I mean kids in general)

You can say, don\'t take it person, but when you you say "If your kid can\'t handle a flu and dies, it\'s natural selection...", how the fuck else am I supposed to take it?  If you have a kid, then I\'ll value your opinion somewhat, but until that day comes STFU about kids dying and it being natural selection...

Take it from a global, scientific, or 3rd person perspective. That is, if you want to grasp the meaning of my statement. Obviously I don\'t want your kid to die and never would say or intend anything like that. This is a scientific discussion it\'s not all about you and your (congratulations) baby. I even wrote out specifically that my statement was not directed at your child so maybe time for your morning coffee?

Quote from: ds673488;228437
and all thepeople who have gotten it in the US have been fine with our western medicine.

It does help not to be stuck in a remote village in Mexico with probably dirty water and poor nutrition and drug cartels shooting bullets all around you.

Quote from: wildcoyote;228438
There are definately interests served by having this in the media.  What I find curious is that people in this country die of the regular old flu every year.

Even the "regular flu" is hardly regular anymore. Thank you Tamiflu and global warming.

Sleep, drink fluids, and maybe go see a doctor. Remain calm. All is well.

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 10:32:31 am »
Given the long shot odds of anyone getting this, allow me to present a more probable scenario:

http://www.youtube.com/v/fwGP9DAAi4A&hl=en&fs=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/fwGP9DAAi4A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:47:04 am by wildcoyote »
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.