Author Topic: i want a more electronic breakfast  (Read 12479 times)

Rickey Roux

• The Ludes Did It
    • http://www.myspace.com/rickeyroux
i want a more electronic breakfast
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 11:36:32 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;226017
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;226016
Quote from: zuke583
jesus, adrian and chris are extremely talented...

Especially Jesus...

hiyooooo

wait. who?
You Lucky Bastards!

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 11:48:47 pm »
honestly thats why i liked the trio so much some of those over synthed jams where absolutly incredible. some of my highest moment listening to this band happened in that time period. but thats just my musical preference

case in point.. the ONLY good thing to come out of NJ

Setlist: 2006-12-09 - The Saint; Asbury Park, NJ
I: jam > Gravity, Heather > Tricky Ways, Buquebus > Rust > Puppetry, Son Of Simpleton

II: jam > No Regret, Gladys Pimp And Kangaroos With Me* > Intension, The Chase**, Psygn^

E: Welcome To This World

* with \'Bathtub Gin\' (Phish) tease.
** with \'Layla\' (Derek & The Dominos) tease.
^ with \'Tomorrow Never Knows\' (The Beatles) tease.

Thanks to FieryBill for the setlist!

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 12:09:57 am »
boooooooooooooooooooooooring.
Postcount +1.

peaches626

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 01:20:09 am »
i\'m in zuke\'s camp...

i don\'t believe he ever mentioned turning the breakfast into biodiesel or anything, just bringing out more of a style that has not been explored as much yet. no harm in expanding the repertoire

there is some badass drum n bass shiz out there, i\'ve heard it

also, anything to sound less like bruce springsteen is a good thing.
taints rule, gypsies drool!

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 01:37:49 am »
i think theres a damn good reason it hasn\'t been explored...

and that reason is that i dont like it.

and it\'s all about what i want.
Postcount +1.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 02:26:46 am »
Quote from: Yoda;226000
Quote from: zuke583;225996
ok well when you start a band you can just play rock n roll. your point is not really relevant at all since the breakfast have never been just "good old rock n roll." they\'re a lot more than that. maybe if you took you nose out of the boss\'s greasy asshole you would have seen that by now.

Sorry, but when any music loses the sound of instruments and becomes too synthesized, it\'s not music to "me".  And don\'t try and school me on the history of The Breakfast.  Go back to 98-00 and listen to Jordan\'s playing - definitely mostly piano and hammond; even the early versions of Buquebus weren\'t all that synthesized; it was of a straight jam.  Yeah, Jordan moved in that direction when he cut down the size of the hammond and brought in a new synth, but it never sounded DB-like.  Tim brought in some synths to fill the gaps when they were a trio and that made sense, but now that they\'re a foursome, there\'s no reason that they should get away from who they are and move in an electronic direction.

it\'s called evolution brah. get with the times. it\'s not 1999 anymore.

Quote from: derickw;226025
honestly thats why i liked the trio so much some of those over synthed jams where absolutly incredible. some of my highest moment listening to this band happened in that time period. but thats just my musical preference

case in point.. the ONLY good thing to come out of NJ

Setlist: 2006-12-09 - The Saint; Asbury Park, NJ
I: jam > Gravity, Heather > Tricky Ways, Buquebus > Rust > Puppetry, Son Of Simpleton

II: jam > No Regret, Gladys Pimp And Kangaroos With Me* > Intension, The Chase**, Psygn^

E: Welcome To This World

* with \'Bathtub Gin\' (Phish) tease.
** with \'Layla\' (Derek & The Dominos) tease.
^ with \'Tomorrow Never Knows\' (The Beatles) tease.

Thanks to FieryBill for the setlist!

fuck yeah, great show. my only trip to the s\'taint.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:26:46 am by Gfunk »
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 03:59:54 am »
I\'m all for diversity in The Breakfast\'s music but that genre (electronica) is soulless and boring to me.
The trance ambient experimentation they do within the rock and roll framework they have defined as their sound is fine for me.

Anything near what the Biscuits play would be the ruination of The Breakfast for me and would get skipped on any disc I came across it on.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 07:49:27 am »
Let me caveat this statement by saying that I don\'t know much  about D n B... but I\'ve felt that over the last 2 years they\'ve been incorporating a lot more of it in their jamming.  Example:  the entire second half of \'08 NYE Toads show Rufus, minutes 9 -11 of OE from the same show, space oddity from the Sept 07 daniel st. show.... grant it, I may just not know my ass from my elbow when it comes to DnB style music... but when I hear Adrian kick into that quick high hat snare type rhythm...something about the way the band plays over him that has always made me thing DnB.

Am I wrong... or are you just looking for more of that style jamming?

tyzack

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 08:31:22 am »
Tim uses one of those repeaters when he plays accustic shows (you know the thing that plays some sort of automated rhymtum guitar while he rocks out, sorry I don\'t know the name), I always thought it would be cool if he were to use that type of layering during electric band solos....you know kind of give a more mutli-guitar neo-psychedellia/shoegazing sound, then combine that with the aforementioned synth-electronic sound for jordan...i think that would be epic.

But that\'s just me.

"Take the best from the best and make it more."
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 08:31:38 am »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;226034
i think theres a damn good reason it hasn\'t been explored...

and that reason is that i dont like it.

and it\'s all about what i want.

too late. it\'s been explored already. and yeah personal preference i get.

Quote from: leith;226042
I\'m all for diversity in The Breakfast\'s music but that genre (electronica) is soulless and boring to me.

yeah i used to think that too...when i was 15

The trance ambient experimentation they do within the rock and roll framework they have defined as their sound is fine for me.

Anything near what the Biscuits play would be the ruination of The Breakfast for me and would get skipped on any disc I came across it on.

i agree -- they shouldn\'t try to do what the biscuits do. and believe it or not, the disco biscuits are not the first or only band that played/plays electronic music. i don\'t have to tell you that. kraftwerk has been playing for, what, 40 years? there are many more that do it better than them. what the breakfast is great at is the fusion of genres and i\'d like to see them add a new wrinkle. i\'d just like to see them give it a shot
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 08:33:32 am »

but i think the guys are diverse enough to be able to keep away from being soulless and boring. i think they could bring there own style into it, i mean isn\'t that what you try to do with covers. sign the song, play the melody but add your own creativity to it to make it your own? same concept
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:36:11 am by derickw »
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 08:46:15 am »
Are you guys talking like last April\'s Iron Horse Hard Luck Harry?

ser bust-out delay jams? I love that shit but its best used tastefully to climax a jam.... not like all the time and boringly like certain bands that some people here like that I think suck.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

ulee

• Psygned in
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 09:11:35 am »
yesyesyes  Bring It!
I love (good) electronic music and want to climb aboard for Breakfast musical journeys of this ilk.  
They do incorporate these kind of jams to some extent, but exploring more, as Zuke said, might appeal to some new fans as well.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:35:03 am by ulee »

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 09:31:03 am »
Suggestions:

Jordan - Needs a vocorder for voice synths

Tim - Guitar needs to be replaced with a keytar

Adrian - Add some E-Drums to your kit

Chris - Needs a midi board to complement his bass
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 09:42:47 am »
i can see adding elements of it to add to their sonic palette, but why would you want these particular guys to start playing less intricate music? electronica is dumbed down music. it requires the guitar to meld into the background, while a 4/4 beat becomes the leading drive. where\'s the appeal in that, especially with the talent in this band? i\'m all for more experimentation, and, like i said, using other styles\' elements to add to their overall sound is fine, but moving the band in a more electronic-ish direction negates the very virtuosity most people love this band for.