Author Topic: Billy Corgan is intent on killing the legacy of SP  (Read 1904 times)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Billy Corgan is intent on killing the legacy of SP
« on: March 31, 2009, 03:17:53 pm »
:sigh:

You Can Audition for The Smashing Pumpkins

The Smashing Pumpkins will be holding open auditions for a new drummer in Los Angeles on April 10. The group recently parted ways with founding drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, making frontman Billy Corgan the only holdover from the group’s original incarnation. So, if you play in a popular rock band, recent New Groove or have just been practicing Smashing Pumpkins songs in your basement, please send your background info, photos and performance web links via email only to pumpkinsdrummer@gmail.com. Though the Smashing Pumpkins came of age in the alt-rock era, the group’s current live show includes covers by such an eclectic mix of artists as Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 03:21:27 pm »
i hate that he\'s going to keep using the name without jimmy. with JC gone, the band is pretty much dead to me now. d\'arcy and james were replaceable. jimmy is not.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 03:24:17 pm »
jimmy was such a key part to the band, i cant believe he is doing open auditions...just retire man
DS Newbers

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 03:30:10 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;224841
i hate that he\'s going to keep using the name without jimmy. with JC gone, the band is pretty much dead to me now. d\'arcy and james were replaceable. jimmy is not.

that said, dave has already sent his resume in
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 03:42:52 pm »
If corgan wants to stay in the entertainment industry, he should just do a remake of Nosferatu... All he would need is the ears and a little make up around the eyes and he\'s be a dead-ringer...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 04:05:04 pm »
what does he care, he\'ll still sell tickets and make money! and he\'ll still be rich!
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

lilblondie

• the FU queen
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 04:32:59 pm »
i will always regret giving up a 5th row ticket for the new haven coliseum...oh well....
maybe the sun will shine today...
the clouds will roll away..
maybe i wont be so afraid..
i will understand that everything has its plan...
either way...

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 05:05:59 pm »
I will always regret the 10+ minutes that I gave up listening to Corgan\'s version of The Sound of Silence from the last tour...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 05:10:57 pm »
Billy Corgan should give Axl Rose a call.  They can put one generic backing band together and go on tour.  1st set Billy= SP. Then the band stays on stage, exit Billy, enter Axl and viola! GNR!  Talk about saving on over head during a recession.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 05:19:32 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;224864
Billy Corgan should give Axl Rose a call.  They can put one generic backing band together and go on tour.  1st set Billy= SP. Then the band stays on stage, exit Billy, enter Axl and viola! GNR!  Talk about saving on over head during a recession.

They can comprise the backup band of all of the random members of the Misfits, Ramones and Black Flag that try to tour every so often.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

ChrisF

• http://
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 05:52:41 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;224864

make it happpen at toads! they can open for the jimmy chamberlin complex :inky:

http://www.youtube.com/v/sgc7kkkSnHk&hl=en&fs=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/sgc7kkkSnHk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 07:19:12 pm »
SO basically, he\'s making Zwan, again, right?  

(I will admit that I did see Zwan in concert....sigh...and Corgan\'s tour for his solo album....sigh again...)

I feel like he can\'t use the name Smashing Pumpkins if the others are not on board, especially Jimmy.   It says a lot that Jimmy left. I honestly think Corgan has lost it.  It all started going down hill for him when he shaved his head....

But really, getting serious, the smashing pumpkins THE REAL smashing pumkins created one of the albums in their heyday that really impacted me so much (siamese dream).  I will always remember them that way...and whatever he does now...in my eyes, it is not SP.   Yes, they are dead to me too...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:22:46 pm by SkyePrizm »

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 07:23:40 pm »
Wow it\'s so easy to rip on Billy Corgan these days isn\'t it. Did you guys read the responses to the jambase article and figure if he\'s not cool enough for some wook with internet he can\'t be cool enough for me..  ??

Well let me tell you Billy Corgan is a weird motherfucker. I saw that last DVD they came out with and wish I never saw it because I didn\'t know the dude was such a weirdo.

But I\'m sorry, The Smashing Pumpkins is Billy Corgan. Seeing them in Boston was totally ass kicking even with the new members. Billy is a monster on the guitar as much as ever, an insanely talented songwriter in both heavy and more whimsical forms, and you know he\'s the mind behind 99% of what happens in the Smashing Pumpkins because he\'s a total control freak.

If I wrote all the music he did and could play like that I\'d probably want total control over my shit as well.

As for Jimmy Chamberlain... he\'s good but let\'s not pretend there\'s not lots of guys who could fill his shoes.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 07:44:44 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;224891
But I\'m sorry, The Smashing Pumpkins is Billy Corgan. Seeing them in Boston was totally ass kicking even with the new members. Billy is a monster on the guitar as much as ever, an insanely talented songwriter in both heavy and more whimsical forms, and you know he\'s the mind behind 99% of what happens in the Smashing Pumpkins because he\'s a total control freak.

I completely agree, Corgan is a musical genius...however...he should not use the smashing pumpkins name. I really feel like if all the members are gone but him....just call it the Billy Corgan Band or Zwan or whatever he wants to call it. Yes, he is the song writer and he had the drive for the band to become what they did.  Just I don\'t think the band should be called SP.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 08:16:10 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;224891

As for Jimmy Chamberlain... he\'s good but let\'s not pretend there\'s not lots of guys who could fill his shoes.

How about Thatguy plays a Pumpkins tour?
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex