Author Topic: So is The Breakfast still a band or now a hobby?  (Read 12845 times)

psychjosh

So is The Breakfast still a band or now a hobby?
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2009, 07:51:27 am »
Quote from: Yoda;224240
Quote from: tyzack;224232
I thought this when I started listening to them, and I still think this now; nobody else does what they do.

That\'s really a loaded comment.  It takes a whole bunch of things and stars to allign to really succed, but there are things that you can control:

1. Talent (they have it; no question about it)
2. Management (it\'s there, but I\'m not sure how much management is working for them)
3. Booking Agency (same deal as management)
4. PR/Promotions (there\'s really a lack of this right now)
5. Fans (there\'s a good number of fans in small pockets across the country and one across the pond)
6. Buzz on the street (it was there, but it really isn\'t there right now)

These guys have what it takes to succeed talent-wise.  Maybe it wasn\'t a good idea to go with the comfortable Management/Booking company.  There\'s tons of cover bands that work for talent agencies that get gigs booked every weekend throughout the year.  I worked with a guy who did this on the weekend and I went to HS with a guy who\'s still doing this and they get PAID.  I\'m not saying that they should become a cover band; that\'s the last thing I would want, but it might not be a bad idea to have a conversation with one of these agencies; they obviously have an in with all the local venues and clubs.  PB/TB has been pretty much been playing the same places for more than 10 years; I\'m not saying ignore CT/Mass/Upstate/NYC, but try and get gigs in some new places.  Playing to the same people will only get you so far; increasing the gigs and playing to more people will only get you out in front of more faces and isn\'t that what ultimately you want to do; to grow the brand (TB)?

COVER BANDS get paid because they play Free Bird in places like Christopher Martins.. It\'s EASY to book a fun cover band. Those agencies won\'t do JACK SHIT for this band. Maybe Tim should find that agent for his solo stuff.
It\'s really a catch 22.. Like a loan.. you cant get one if you have no money but if you had money you would not need one.. A credible agency won\'t take the band until they are consistently putting up numbers and showing growth.. but they need that agent to accomplish that task.. The MAIN reason I had any success with this band is because I LOVED the band and music and took it hugely personally. 100% of my focus was on their career. We .. I should say they need a young agent at a GOOD agency to fall in love with the music.
As far as promo grass roots and PR... that\'s been an uphill battle as long as I can remember. It is refreshing to hear a few people still wanting to help these guys but it\'s gonna take a lot more.
Touring is another story... Jordans back and I think they sound as good as ever... but lets face one fact.. if they cannot tour.. they cannot grow. Maybe by focusing on the North East they will grow the regional numbers that will command more $$$ and eventually lead to expansion... AGAIN.. It just seems like trying to re-invent the wheel.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:04:41 am by psychjosh »
Bring Back the Shotty Nasal!

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2009, 09:57:10 am »
maybe a .infoer should become a booking agent
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2009, 11:08:04 am »
Quote from: Vassillios;224368

don\'t tempt me with ideas. ;)  i only work 30 hours a week.   so i have plenty of free time.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2009, 12:27:43 pm »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;224377
Quote from: Vassillios;224368

don\'t tempt me with ideas. ;)  i only work 30 hours a week.   so i have plenty of free time.

i\'ve tempted myself with the idea several times
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2011, 10:39:31 pm »
Since there was a little bit of a stir about my sarcastic use of the term hobby as a descriptor for the Breakfast, please refer back to this thread.

Perhaps I should have quoted "hobby".

I don\'t care if The Breakfast is a band, a hobby, a religion etc...  I enjoy it for what it is...kick ass music.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:41:48 pm by alexanderzurflu »
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2011, 11:16:20 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;273162
I don\'t care if The Breakfast is a band, a hobby, a religion etc...  I enjoy it for what it is...kick ass music.

That\'s fine dude but this is a thread better left buried than bumped.

But it does go to show that every time anything slightly controversial happens regarding The Breakfast there will be some fans who freak out and think the sky is falling.

Right now we\'re in the middle of Monday night residencies. A fairly small room in their home town. And Stellas is packed like sardines these four weeks to see the band play like they\'re on top of their game and having fun doing it to mostly their most hardcore fans.

No more room for whining and bitching. As long as everyone\'s still having fun we\'re going to get to keep hearing the music we love and seeing the people we love.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2011, 11:25:12 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;273163
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;273162

That\'s fine dude but this is a thread better left buried than bumped.

Bumped to make a point and nothing more than that.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2011, 10:19:12 am »
Lets be realistic here.....if you are lucky enough to be a musician as your primary source of income, then you have taken what is a hobby to 95% of the world and are making a living from it.....so yes....this is a hobby....and yes it is hard work, but then again, just because something is a hobby, doesnt mean its not hard work.....
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

KEN RAFLOWITZ

• Weird Ken Yankodic
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2011, 08:19:55 pm »
I think Tim just said he had to get back to his hobby, after blasting .infoholes.