Author Topic: of Montreal @ Toad\'s Place - Sunday April 19, 2009  (Read 3391 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
of Montreal @ Toad\'s Place - Sunday April 19, 2009
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 03:46:38 pm »
ah, just checked the calendar and this is the same night I\'m going to boston for a sox game against baltimore so I wont be getting tickets. Good luck everyone getting it. It\'s not a band for everyone but it was still one of the best theatrical rock shows I think I\'ve ever been to.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 10:43:51 pm »
this tour, the band is employing a strong element if theater into the performance. in the center of the stage is a rotating center piece with screens in the back, on which there are scene changes probably about every 5 minutes, depending on the song and venue. you\'ll see kevin barnes wearing a different outfit every time you look on stage. He is dressed as a centaur with some dude as his legs one second, getting hanged the next second, and dressed as a cardinal with a nun washing his feet the very next.... (while still dancing/singing the entire time)

To someone who isn\'t familiar with the band (or their newest album, Skeletal Lamping) you may be a bit confused. I wouldn\'t come to the show expecting face-melting rock.... not going to happen. In fact, you may want to stay home.... especially if you aren\'t comfortable seeing dudes in pink unitards and glitter hopping around on stage.... if you\'re going to pawn it off as "gay shit"... well frankly, stay home, it\'ll be better without you.

I\'ve seen the show 3 times since the tour began, each time being markedly different. The best was at Revolution Live in Ft. Lauderdale, the venue was perfect and the stage was large enough to give them room to move. Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn... crappppppppy to the max. since there was no backstage, the theatrics were difficult to see and even more difficult to execute.... shoulda skipped that show....

I stand by my insane passion for this band, and those who understand it will probably agree with me. It\'s definitely a show you have to see to understand.... if you have any appreciation for theater and music beyond an auditory art form, this is the show for you....

i guess i\'d like to take this opportunity to invite you all to my pre-party.... gonna have glitter and glam everywhere, so ya\'ll better look your best ;)
and what CAN you do, when your world is invaded by a reggaejunkiejew?!?

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 11:18:17 pm »
:yawn:

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 09:12:09 am »
Quote from: Igziabeher;218601
:yawn:

i\'m guessing your staying home then....
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

Todaysparkles

• The Breakfast Blondie
    • http://www.myspace.com/todaysparkles
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 10:47:07 am »
No matter how bad the venue I can\'t imagine any circumstance that I would rationalize it being better to have skipped seeing an Of Montreal show all together.
Though I only saw them once, it was certainly enough to establish an solid opinion about their live performance. For me, the greatness of their show was  largely in part due to the consistent solid execution of their music. Of course I personally was completely eating up the over the top theatrics.  The theatrics are the icing on the cake for me. I have never experienced anything comparable, because even the Flaming Lips have nothing on the kind of antics that go down on stage.  
I am not a fan of Skeletal Lamping, comparatively to last 3 previously released albums. With the exception of say a handful of songs, this is what they played. I am such a huge fan of anything they put out, so their was no possible was I couldn\'t be in pure glory that entire show. It flew by. Devastated when it was over, I left with a completely different view of Skeletal Lamping, with such an heightened appreciation of it.

I thought that the reason, perhaps, that I (personally) was such a big fan of the music of OM was because of the nature of albums (..like my personal favorites Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? and Satanic Panic in The Attic.) They flow so fluidly, taking different directions, and telling us stories, beliefs, Hopes. Each come together forming these spectacular, solid wholes. How can they be broken up and can they translate into a live performance well?
When personal favorites from said albums; She\'s a Rejecter, Heimdalsgate Like A Promethean Curse, Eros\' Entropic Tundra and of course Disconnect the Dots were played, I cannot describe the elation I felt. It did not matter that they were broken out of their usual sequence. The placement was great and they sounded spectacular.

Listen to the albums a number of times. They grew on me tremendously. They continue to. I listen to them obsessively.
Are you open minded about seeing this way over the top behavior? Different isn\'t always bad. Just because I am fanatical doesn\'t mean I think you should be too. That being said.

xoxo

http://www.etix.com/ticket/servlet/onlineSale?action=selectPerformance&venue_id=677&performance_id=926655&cobrand=toads&searchType=venue
Seasons don't fear the reaper

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 10:57:50 am »
::yawn::
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 11:05:11 am »
Quote from: NickNels;218644
::yawn::

wow, how original...

did we use too many big words for you?

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 11:32:33 am »
so is of montreal\'s live show better than a cirque du soleil show?  should i skip cirque du soleil love in vegas and go see of montreal instead?
DS Newbers

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 11:33:17 am »
hell yeah, bring some of that L too....

Todaysparkles

• The Breakfast Blondie
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 11:33:34 am »
Shut up NickNels. The Disco Biscuits suck.
I still can\'t believe this even though I got tickets!!
Looks like someone\'s thinks we\'ve been on good behavior, New Haven!!
I will hype till the cows come home and I can\'t freakin\' wait for this party.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 11:35:42 am »
Quote from: princesscaspian;218650
bring some of that L too....

im not sure your ready for the "buffalo stuff"...just ask ellis
DS Newbers

Todaysparkles

• The Breakfast Blondie
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 11:36:08 am »
it says Hot 93.7\'s Jam is coming up, that might suit ya\'ll haters better

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 11:36:26 am »
Quote from: ds673488;218649
so is of montreal\'s live show better than a cirque du soleil show?  should i skip cirque du soleil love in vegas and go see of montreal instead?

I would not want to trip at such a boring show.  Boring shows are not good for tripping, not enough to keep your attention.  If more people tripped at boring shows, like \'Of Montreal\', there would be less people doing L in the world.  I much prefer excitement to boredom and that\'s why I wouldn\'t trip at an Of Montreal show...because it\'s boring.
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

Todaysparkles

• The Breakfast Blondie
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 11:43:40 am »
Oh that NickNels, he\'s so smug!

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 11:45:03 am »
4/14 - sonar, bodymore, md
4/15-17 - music hall of williamsburg, brooklyn, ny
4/19-20 - boston, ma

i would rather hit any of these shows than shitty toad\'s on a shitty sunday. as i\'ve said before, the music hall of williamsburg is a sweet venue (way too small of of montreal). i\'m happy to see any show there.

it also leaves saturday 4/18 wide open...i\'m guessing they\'ll be playing a free show at the field
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor