Author Topic: # 44 - B.H. Obama  (Read 1201 times)

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
# 44 - B.H. Obama
« on: January 22, 2009, 12:29:57 pm »
Cleaning up the mess made by the last administration:

On Day One, Obama Demands Open Government

Deeplink by Marcia Hofmann
It\'s only his first day in office, but President Obama has already signaled a serious commitment to transparency and accountability in government. The President ordered federal agencies in a memorandum released today to approach the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) "with a clear presumption: in the face of doubt, openness prevails."

This message is in line with advice EFF and other nonprofits gave the Obama Transition Team on transparency issues shortly after the election.

According to Obama\'s memo:

All agencies should adopt a presumption in favor of disclosure, in order to renew their commitment to the principles embodied in FOIA, and to usher in a new era of open Government. The presumption of disclosure should be applied to all decisions involving FOIA.

This statement is almost certainly meant to address a controversial memo issued by John Ashcroft in the wake of 9/11, which ordered agencies to disclose information only after considering all possible reasons to withhold it, and assured them that government lawyers would defend their decisions in court unless they had no "sound legal basis." Many open government advocates believe Ashcroft\'s policy effectively gutted the FOIA over the past several years. Today\'s memo doesn\'t explicitly reverse that policy, but directs the incoming attorney general to issue new FOIA guidelines to agencies "reaffirming the commitment to accountability and transparency." This is a big step in the right direction.

The memo doesn\'t stop there. It goes on to say:

The presumption of disclosure also means that agencies should take affirmative steps to make information public. They should not wait for specific requests from the public. All agencies should use modern technology to inform citizens about what is known and done by their Government. Disclosure should be timely.

Toward that end, the memo orders the Office of Management and Budget to issue guidance on how agencies can improve information dissemination, including through the use of new technologies.

We\'ve still got some unanswered questions. While we\'re hopeful that this new era of openness will make our FOIA work easier, it remains to be seen how or when the memo\'s directives will be implemented. Regardless, we\'re excited and optimistic about the President\'s emphasis on open government, and look forward to the Administration\'s next steps.

UPDATE: President Obama issued two more documents related to government transparency today. A new executive order reverses changes made in recent years to the Presidential Records Act, while a second memorandum provides the Administration\'s general policy on transparency and open government.

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/01/on-day-one-obama-demands-open-government

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
# 44 - B.H. Obama
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 12:39:45 pm »
Quality first moves.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
# 44 - B.H. Obama
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:20:43 pm »
When it comes to his middle name, Hussein, it seems there has been an effort to conceal it wherever possible to downplay his 50% Islamic heritage.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

SlimPickens

• just the tip
# 44 - B.H. Obama
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 01:27:56 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;217315
When it comes to his middle name, Hussein, it seems there has been an effort to conceal it wherever possible to downplay his 50% Islamic heritage.

OMG, he\'s an Islamic?!!  Is it too late to change my vote?!!

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
# 44 - B.H. Obama
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 01:36:00 pm »
Quote from: SlimPickens;217316

OMG, he\'s an Islamic?!!  !!

send him to Guantanamo!
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

BennyBoomers

• Biscuits Fluffer
# 44 - B.H. Obama
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 01:37:38 pm »
no he\'s an AY-rab

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
# 44 - B.H. Obama
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 01:56:00 pm »

I was always under the impression that mom was cornbread from kansas and dad was an atheist from kenya.  Grampa was a muslim and there were some ties to islam in his grammar school, but that and his middle name is all that I can find as ties to an islamic heritage.  I read a lot of conspiracy type articles, but I can\'t take those too seriously.  That being said, he is the current American President.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
# 44 - B.H. Obama
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 04:44:30 pm »
It is a wonderful feeling to actually like the president!
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
# 44 - B.H. Obama
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 05:20:29 pm »
Do you think W left his note in the oval office to Obama written in crayon? or elbow macaroni & glitter?
Where to next?

ChrisF

# 44 - B.H. Obama
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 05:24:41 pm »
Quote from: simpletwistupdon;217361
or elbow macaroni & glitter?

^^ i think someone watched roseanne on nick at nite last night

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
# 44 - B.H. Obama
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 09:16:53 pm »
Quote from: ChrisF;217362
Quote from: simpletwistupdon;217361
or elbow macaroni & glitter?

^^ i think someone watched roseanne on nick at nite last night

actually... I didn\'t someone mentioned it at work and I thought it was good for a laugh.  It\'s not like it doesn\'t speak to his character.  There was actually a picture of the file folder on the the desk in today\'s NY Post... BTW, were you up watching Roseanne!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:35:45 pm by simpletwistupdon »
Where to next?

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
# 44 - B.H. Obama
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 11:36:38 pm »
roseanne\'d
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice