Author Topic: The 2009 Major League Baseball Thread  (Read 33794 times)

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
The 2009 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2009, 04:37:06 pm »
Wait a minute. The Mets always see October. As in, the first Sunday, on which they are prompty eliminated.

Yes, at long last, baseball season is arriving.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2009, 04:37:40 pm »
Touche
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2009, 05:09:11 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;219151
Arod does not = my boy and this took place when he was a ranger, not a yankee.  Why not look at your own team before throwing stones (Varitek).

Because more than 5% of big leaguers had tested positive in 2003, baseball instituted a mandatory random-testing program, with penalties, in \'04. According to the 2007 Mitchell Report on steroid use in baseball, in September 2004, Gene Orza, the chief operating officer of the players\' union, violated an agreement with MLB by tipping off a player (not named in the report) about an upcoming, supposedly unannounced drug test. Three major league players who spoke to SI said that Rodriguez was also tipped by Orza in early September 2004 that he would be tested later that month. Rodriguez declined to respond on Thursday when asked about the warning Orza provided him.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/02/07/alex-rodriguez-steroids/index.html
But yeah I\'m sure he was totally clean while in pinstripes:rolleyes:. If Varitek is indeed on the list I will lose much respect for him.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2009, 05:10:13 pm »
Doesn\'t that make Varitek a cheater also if he is on the list? On top of that, he is/was Bostons captain. What does that say about the Red Sox.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2009, 08:33:16 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;219151
Arod does not = my boy and this took place when he was a ranger, not a yankee.  Why not look at your own team before throwing stones (Varitek).

I take back my comments.  I read an article that said Varitek was named in the Mitchell Report, but after researching it further, he is not.  However, two Red Sox were names - Brendan Donnelly and Eric Gagne (former Cy Young winner).

Bottom line is that A. Rod tested positive in a time when it was still against league policy, but there were no fines/punishment for testing positive.  He shouldn\'t have lied about it to Katie Couric.  But let\'s not put the fan blinders on and think that steroids didn\'t touch every team in the league.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2009, 08:48:48 pm »
Gagne was on the Sox for 1 season and sucked then, i\'m sure the mitchell report stuff was from when he was on the Dodgers.  eric donnelly?  who the fuck is he?

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2009, 08:57:17 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;219170
Gagne was on the Sox for 1 season and sucked then, i\'m sure the mitchell report stuff was from when he was on the Dodgers.  eric donnelly?  who the fuck is he?

Then he\'s as guilty as a Red Sox as A. Rod is a Yankee since the positive test was during his tenure with Texas.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2009, 10:07:47 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;219171

Then he\'s as guilty as a Red Sox as A. Rod is a Yankee since the positive test was during his tenure with Texas.

so whats your point?

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2009, 04:00:17 am »
gagne played for the sox less than half a season when they traded kason gabbard for him and sucked balls after he stopped juicing.  donnelly was a chump relief pitcher who looked like a cop and should have been on the yankees
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 04:00:59 am by bezerker »
*Gia*

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2009, 06:22:13 am »
Quote from: Igziabeher;219173
Quote from: Yoda;219171

so whats your point?

My point is that RS fans are so quick to give the "ah hah" on A. Rod, that they forget that steroids was also an issue on their team.  A. Rod cannot be punished for that positive test because it was from a time before there was punishment for use and he didn\'t swear under oath that he didn\'t do it like Bonds.  So I\'m not really sure why this is such a big thing. His reputation is tarnished, yes, but he\'ll still be on the field playing on opening day.

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2009, 02:17:26 pm »
all i know is however way alex finishes his career, hank aaron still is and          will for a long time be the home run champion
*Gia*

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2009, 03:09:55 pm »
Quote from: bezerker;219193
all i know is however way alex finishes his career, hank aaron still is and          will for a long time be the home run champion

Agreed and as it stands remove the asterisk people and Roger Maris is still the single-season home run record holder

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2009, 11:49:14 pm »
sad to see. but I sitll love baseball better than any other sport and can no wait for the season to start!!!!!

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2009, 02:49:46 pm »
This steroid mess is disgraceful.

A few guys came to mind who\'s numbers spiked out of no where over the last few years: Bret Boone, Steve Finley, Edgar Martinez, Brady Anderson.  These guys fell off recently after testing: Miguel Tejada, Sammy Sosa, I-Rod.

So I looked back at the HR stats

Players with    30+HR___   40+HR  

1989_________ 10 ________ 1

1996 ________ 37 ________ 17

2000 ________ 47 ________ 16    

The 1996 spike is absurd.  You can look at the list of guys with 30+ and so many of them never came close to that before.  By 2000 47 guys had over 30 HR\'s. 47 players.  It was obvious then.  
All the numbers are meaningless. The entire record book is fuct.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 02:54:52 pm by wildcoyote »
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2009, 03:08:04 pm »
That\'s why Don Mattingly deserves to be in the Hall of Fame!