Author Topic: The 2009 Major League Baseball Thread  (Read 33791 times)

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
The 2009 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2009, 02:14:22 pm »
Anyone else amused that Scott Boras and Manny might get really embarassed when he has to take a less money than he would have got from his Boston contract, or the LA offer.

And hey Andy Pettitte (a regular lurker on .info) - way to further shit on your legacy.  You were a hero in in pinstripes, and everyone pretty much forgave the HGH fiasco, but now after a complete let down in the 2nd half you\'re too good for $10 million a year.  

It\'s disgusting how out of touch these guys are.  $10 million a year to play baseball is insulting?  :no:
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2009, 03:17:26 pm »
:: MORE RED SOX TICKETS GO ON SALE SATURDAY AT 10 A.M.

Single game tickets for most 2009 Boston Red Sox home games
go on sale this Saturday, January 24.

Beginning at 10 a.m., log on to redsox.com or call our automated
ticket line at 888-327-0100 to purchase tickets for all games at
Fenway Park (with the exception of Opening Day and all games with
the Yankees).

MORE INFORMATION >>
  http://link.mlblists.com/r/789OQD/1ASSQ/YJ4B6/EKAW4/XTVJ1V/RF/t?a=partnerId=ed-2183278-55432320%26source=ed-2183278-55432320

:banghead: I\'m going to be in a car when they go on sale driving to maryland and no computer when I get there. No chance in hell I\'m going to get anything.

:sadban:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2009, 03:21:38 pm »
Royals = Rays of 2009!
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2009, 10:51:02 am »
Quote from: FrankZappa;217344
:: MORE RED SOX TICKETS GO ON SALE SATURDAY AT 10 A.M.

Single game tickets for most 2009 Boston Red Sox home games
go on sale this Saturday, January 24.

Beginning at 10 a.m., log on to redsox.com or call our automated
ticket line at 888-327-0100 to purchase tickets for all games at
Fenway Park (with the exception of Opening Day and all games with
the Yankees).

MORE INFORMATION >>
  http://link.mlblists.com/r/789OQD/1ASSQ/YJ4B6/EKAW4/XTVJ1V/RF/t?a=partnerId=ed-2183278-55432320%26source=ed-2183278-55432320

:banghead: I\'m going to be in a car when they go on sale driving to maryland and no computer when I get there. No chance in hell I\'m going to get anything.

:sadban:

You know you wouldn\'t have gotten anything anyways.  Virtual waiting room is now 50 minutes old and smells like feet.  I remember last year it actually went through about 4.5 hours in, but I didn\'t see it until long after, and even if I had I think it might have only gone through because the game had sold out.  It\'s a pointless exercise.

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2009, 11:43:22 am »
Shame on you Joe Torre.  

He doesn\'t (shouldn\'t) need the money.  This is spite.  The Yankees were ridiculed when they hired him 1996.  His previous managing record was lackluster, and he was given the chance to manage MLB\'s premier franchise.  He seems to have forgotten.

When you agree to manage the Yankees you are making a deal with the devil.  Everyone knows that.  You\'ll get the talent other managers couldn\'t dream of, and in exchange you have meddling owners, and relentless media.  This is no secret.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2009, 12:32:22 pm »
Sorry, but there is some reason for a little spite.  The man brought the team to the playoffs every year he managerd, won 4 world series and took them to 6.  The yanks wanted him out and basically forced his hand to make the decision that he did.  Do I think the book was a poor decision, yes, but his history as a manager will shine through, not the book.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2009, 12:50:24 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;217680
Sorry, but there is some reason for a little spite.  The man brought the team to the playoffs every year he managerd, won 4 world series and took them to 6.  The yanks wanted him out and basically forced his hand to make the decision that he did.  Do I think the book was a poor decision, yes, but his history as a manager will shine through, not the book.

maybe in your eyes and my eyes, but joe just wrote himself out of monument park and ever being officially celebrated by the yankees again.

and for what?

certainly not what i expected out of joe. always thought he was a high road kind of guy. look at bernie.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2009, 01:00:27 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;217683
Quote from: Yoda;217680

maybe in your eyes and my eyes, but joe just wrote himself out of monument park and ever being officially celebrated by the yankees again.

and for what?

certainly not what i expected out of joe. always thought he was a high road kind of guy. look at bernie.

I hear you.  He could have handled this differently.  I will still remember him fondly for the success he brought after almost 20 years of drought.  I think that the whole "incentive" part of the contract offer they tried to give him pushed him over the edge.  Bernie is the man and should get a plaque in Monument Park this season.  It\'s the least they could do for all the good years he gave and really didn\'t ask for much in return.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2009, 11:44:05 am »
espn wire
(Resending for those who may not have seen last night and to CLARIFY *what* the Giambis are expected to be asked to testify to)

SUGGESTED SCRIPT: Federal prosecutors plan to call Jason and Jeremy Giambi to testify in Barry Bonds\' perjury trial, the New York Times reports. The brothers previously testified that they took steroids based on a calendar created by Bonds\' trainer, Greg Anderson. Prosecutors allege that Bonds followed a similar calendar and are expected to question the Giambis and other BALCO athletes about the regimens Anderson created. The brothers have previously said they have no direct knowledge of Bonds\' alleged use. Former Bonds teammate Bobby Estalella, however, IS expected to offer direct knowledge during the trial set to begin March 2 in San Francisco. Sources tell Outside the Lines reporters Mark Fainaru-Wada and T.J. Quinn that Estalella, Bonds\' teammate during the 2000 and 2001 seasons, has been subpoenaed and is expected to share first-hand knowledge about Bonds\' alleged steroid use.  

CREDIT - the New York Times for the fact that prosecutors plan to call Jason and Jeremy Giambi --

Federal prosecutors plan on having Jason Giambi and his brother Jeremy testify at Barry Bonds\'s perjury trial in March.
Prosecutors want to use the testimony of the Giambis to establish that Greg Anderson, Bonds\' former trainer, created doping calendars for them and that similar calendars with Bonds\' initials on them were designed for the same purpose, said a person briefed on the government\'s evidence.
The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because he did not want to jeopardize his access to sensitive information.
When Bonds testified before a federal grand jury in 2003, he was presented with some of the calendars that the government had seized from Anderson\'s home. Those calendars, according to the grand jury transcript, had the initials BB and BLB on them (Bonds\'s middle name is Lamar), made reference to a trip to Aspen, Colo., where Bonds has a home, and appeared to coincide with the season schedule of the San Francisco Giants.
In his testimony, Bonds denied having any knowledge of the calendars or knowingly using performance-enhancing drugs. It was that testimony that led prosecutors to indict him in November 2007 on charges that he committed perjury.
According to the grand jury testimony, Bonds was shown a calendar that began in December 2001 and that, the prosecutors believed, showed that Bonds was on a regimen of performance-enhancing drugs dictated by Anderson.
In 2003, when Jason Giambi testified before the same grand jury, he was asked about other calendars that were seized at Anderson\'s home that were apparently created for him. Giambi told the grand jury that he was taking steroids based on a calendar created by Anderson. Giambi also testified that Anderson had told him the substances he was using were performance-enhancing drugs.
Jeremy Giambi testified before the grand jury the same day as his brother  and provided a similar account.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2009, 11:01:37 am »
well a rod\'s finally screwed
*Gia*

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2009, 03:12:36 pm »
Let\'s see the entire list of 100+ players that tested positive before we start singling out A Rod.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2009, 03:20:46 pm »
Arod=cheater. It doesn\'t matter who else is guilty, that doesn\'t change the fact that your boy is a CHEATER!
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2009, 03:46:29 pm »
Arod does not = my boy and this took place when he was a ranger, not a yankee.  Why not look at your own team before throwing stones (Varitek).

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2009, 04:07:18 pm »
Someone needs to tell A-Roid that it\'s ok to take some juice, say around, October 1.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2009, 04:23:29 pm »
At least he sees an October