Author Topic: The 2009 Major League Baseball Thread  (Read 33592 times)

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
The 2009 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 11:57:00 am »
of course they don\'t know, just curious of  their opinion and Paul Ryan has his finger on the pulse on the sports world, and he always seems to have some sort of insider info.  There\'s just been so much back and forth.  We\'re the top contender, then we\'re out completely, then we\'re the top contender again.

Gabo STFU! ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:59:42 am by Me! »
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 03:31:39 pm »
Quote from: Me!;214194
I pose a question to Wolfman (who lives in Boston) and Paul Ryan (ESPN).  What is your tak eon the whole Red Sox Texeira thing.  Will we or won\'t we?

SORRY CHIP

1. LF Damon
2. SS Jeter
3. 1B Teixera
4. 3B Rodriguez
5. DH Matsui
6. C  Posada
7. RF Nady
8. 2B Cano
9. CF Swisher
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 03:31:39 pm by wildcoyote »
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 03:55:15 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;214473
Quote from: Me!;214194
I pose a question to Wolfman (who lives in Boston) and Paul Ryan (ESPN).  What is your tak eon the whole Red Sox Texeira thing.  Will we or won\'t we?

SORRY CHIP

1. LF Damon
2. SS Jeter
3. 1B Teixera
4. 3B Rodriguez
5. DH Matsui
6. C  Posada
7. RF Nady
8. 2B Cano
9. CF Swisher

shit. now they have two above average hitters to go along with their overpaid, aging pitching staff.  quite the squad
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2008, 03:58:45 pm »
It\'s amazing what a team can do when the owner doesn\'t lose all his money in a Ponzi scheme.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2008, 09:58:50 pm »
Congratulations New York Yankees, the best team in baseball from November through February.  

Everyone thought the Red Sox were cooked when the Yankees took A-Rod from us...

...and Damon...

...and when they signed Mussina...
...and Giambi...
...and Abreu...

...and where have all these guys gotten them?  Progressively worse every year since 2003.  That\'s where.  

I\'m much more concerned with Tampa Bay and Toronto.  Let the Yankees sign whoever they want, it\'s the same tired and thoughtless formula that has gotten them nowhere for almost a decade.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2008, 09:27:51 am »
"I would hang Cashman by his balls ...in Times Square if there is no ring."
 - Jeff Dirzius

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2008, 09:52:22 am »
Dear New York Yankees:

Several months ago, I expressed my desire to emotionally separate myself from the Boston Red Sox, as I felt that they had surpassed you as the most hated team in baseball. I would like to personally thank you for immediately reclaiming that crown with a desperate spending spree. I can now cheer for the Red Sox, once again underdogs in the American League, wholeheartedly in the spring.

Happy Holidays,
Drew M. Kingsley

---

Additionally, Mark Teixiera is the latest example in a dangerous trend of the "best player available" becoming one of the highest paid players ever. Teixiera being the second-best hitter on the market (behind Manny) made him ridiculously overvalued.

I will be very surprised if an owner\'s lockout doesn\'t happen soon.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2008, 10:42:38 am »
His batting average made me seriously question the paycheck he\'s gonna receive.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2008, 11:06:01 am »
I\'m just happy that we didn\'t get Manny.  Personally, I think that we overpaid for Sabathia more than Teixiera.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2008, 02:18:52 pm »
For the record- The Yankees, as currently constructed, will have a lower payroll in 2009 than 2008.

Quote from: SlimPickens;214536
His batting average made me seriously question the paycheck he\'s gonna receive.

2003 .259
2004 .281
2005 .301
2006 .282
2007 .306
2008 .308

Career- .290.  For a 30+ HR guy.  Pretty good I think.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 02:18:52 pm by wildcoyote »

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2008, 06:11:44 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;214549
For the record- The Yankees, as currently constructed, will have a lower payroll in 2009 than 2008.

That is true.  And for the record - The Yankees, as currently constructed, are adding more overpaid stiffs to the current crop of overpaid stiffs that have gotten them nowhere.

The Red Sox do spend money to take care of their own, but I think this is an interesting time to look closely at the current Red Sox team and acknowledge that they are fielding more homegrown talent than any other team in baseball.  On top of that, they have 3 key guys that they traded prospects to get, which is also great team management.  On top of that, they have 3 key guys who they signed for nothing.  They only have 2 big free agent signings on the team, same as almost any other team. And they are championship contenders who finished far ahead of the Yankees this year.   Let\'s go around the horn, this is insane...

1B-Youkilis-Homegrown
2B-Pedroia-Homegrown
SS-Lowrie-Homegrown
3B-Lowell-Traded homegrown prospects to get him.
C-Varitek-Homegrown (traded for him as a minor leaguer, that\'s essentially homegrown.)
LF-Ellsbury-Homegrown
CF-Crisp-Traded homegrown prospects to get him
RF-Drew-Big free agent signing
DH-Ortiz-Signed him for nothing, paid him once he was worth it.
P-Beckett-Traded homegrown pospects to get him
P-Lester-Homegrown
P-Buccholz-Homegrown
P-Dice-K-Big free agent signing
P-Wakefield-Signed for nothing
P-Okajima-Signed for nothing
P-Papelbon-Homegrown
P-Delcarmen-Homegrown  
P-Masterson-Homegrown

There\'s only one other team in baseball fielding that much homegrown talent with any success.  Do you know who it is?....  

Yup....

...Tampa Bay.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 06:13:46 pm by Wolfman »

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2008, 06:32:52 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;214538
I\'m just happy that we didn\'t get Manny.  Personally, I think that we overpaid for Sabathia more than Teixiera.

who says won\'t? still plenty of time.  Yankees and Manny would both love to piss off the Sox it\'s win win.  Esp while NY is making some ser moves.
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2008, 07:00:43 am »
Quote from: Me!;214568
Quote from: Yoda;214538

who says won\'t? still plenty of time.  Yankees and Manny would both love to piss off the Sox it\'s win win.  Esp while NY is making some ser moves.

Please don\'t ruin my Christmas with Manny talk... I really hate this guy and don\'t want him on the team.  As previously stated, I don\'t want the biggest ME player on my team... Beside, he\'s quit on a team once before, who\'s to say he won\'t do it again...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
World Baseball Classic
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009, 09:31:24 am »
Instead of starting a new thread I figured this was a good place to discuss the World Baseball Classic.

Anyone interested in this? I certainly am. I just wish they would schedule it during an extended Allstar break instead of before the mlb season starts up (it\'s about 18 total days of games). I\'m not sure how that would affect other foreign league schedules but it would at least showcase players in much better shape and comfort level that far into a season rather than on a short rest from the previous season. This is mainly dealing with pitchers, who are probably the most important players in the WBC.

Looked into the schedule yesterday and here are the division breakdowns and playoff format.

Didn\'t realize the Canada/Italy/USA/Venezuela bracket was being played in Toronto until yesterday. I picked up a pair of tickets for the Venezuela/Italy game on Saturday, 7th. We\'re sitting in the first row (right on the wall) between left field and center field. USA/Canada opens up the doubleheader that day. If both USA and Venezuela win we might stick around for their game Sunday night.

Smell my mule.

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 01:55:14 pm »
And for one am not a fan of the World Baseball Classic. Sure, I\'ll be rooting for the Mets involved to do well. But overall, I\'d rather watch Mets\' spring training games during that time and find that the entire tournament is more of a distraction from the actual baseball season than anything.

Meanwhile, the Mets need to get Oliver Perez signed and should also consider signing Orlando Hudson to replace Luis "Two Surgically Repaired Knees" Castillo.