Author Topic: The 2009 Major League Baseball Thread  (Read 33588 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
The 2009 Major League Baseball Thread
« on: December 01, 2008, 07:26:42 am »
hot off the wire:
From the Boston Herald (do NOT credit)

The Red Sox\' courtship of Junichi Tazawa appears to be reaching its conclusion.
By today or tomorrow, the Japanese right-hander is expected to sign a three-year, major league deal with the Red Sox. He would likely begin his U.S. career in the minors.
The club has been negotiating recently with the 22-year-old, who, according to multiple reports out of Japan, has rejected competing offers from the Texas Rangers, Atlanta Braves and Cleveland Indians in order to sign here.
Another name from Japan could be popping up on the hot stove radar of the Red Sox and other teams soon: 33-year-old right-handed starting pitcher Kenjin Kawakami. The Sox have scouted him multiple times and the veteran has expressed interest in playing here. Several teams are expected to be involved in the bidding for Kawakami.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 09:09:19 am »
All I know is, the Yankees better not sign manny in the off season.  If it happens, they\'ll lost another fan (at least until he\'s out of pistripes).
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:43:59 am »
I miss baseball already.
Masturbation in the MFA

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 12:33:23 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;212341
All I know is, the Yankees better not sign manny in the off season.  If it happens, they\'ll lost another fan (at least until he\'s out of pistripes).

so you\'ll cheer ARod, Giambi, Gary Sheffield, Clemens, etc., but Manny is where you draw the line?

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 12:42:11 pm »
:runs out to start a fresh batch of popcorn:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 12:59:32 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;212361
Quote from: Yoda;212341

so you\'ll cheer ARod, Giambi, Gary Sheffield, Clemens, etc., but Manny is where you draw the line?

You have the wrong guy if you think that I actually root for the purchased players.  I grew up with the Yankees (primarily Mattingly) and loved when they actually made something out of their farm system.  I understand that sometimes you need to go out of that safety zone to make your team one that can compete, but no, I\'m not a fan of these guys.  As for Manny, I had the same issue when we brought over Boggs, Clemens, Damon, Strawberry and Gooden... My thoughts are once a Red Sox or Mets, always a Red Sox or Met.  I think it disgusting what we pay Rodriguez, but the guy is one of the best to play the game.  I don\'t want Manny on the team because he\'s a selfish baby.  The Red Sox gave him a great contract and were most likely not going to pick up his options because it was in the best interest of the team (financially and because Manny wasn\'t playing up to his standards).  Little did we know that he was just holding back (that\'s obvious after he was traded to the dodgers).  And now he\'s saying that he wants to play for the Yankees to get back at the Red Sox... Right now, he\'s the biggest ME player in the league and I, for one, don\'t want or think that he deserves to wear pinstripes.  That\'s my opinion and if they make that move, I\'ll silently root for my team, but I will not help pay for his salary by going to games.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 02:19:20 pm »

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 02:24:51 pm »
Good see you\'re abandoning the Red Sox Paul. :D
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 02:27:45 pm »
Jesus, isn\'t it a little early for this?
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 04:06:48 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;212379

wtf?!
Masturbation in the MFA

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 08:01:05 pm »
I\'m not abandoning the red sox. Where does it say you can\'t have a team in each league? My rule is I don\'t want the cubbies to win only if it affects the red sox, hence a world series run or inter league play games in mid season. Otherwise I\'m on the redsox bandwagon where I\'ve been since the get-go.

As for being early, yea, a little, but the news I was posting will have no effect whatsoever on the 2008 season and will play into the 2009 season. Hence, it belonged in this thread so I started it. Also don\'t forget that the red sox/yankees tickets always go on sale really early, like december 15th or something. Every year I forget about it and miss out. Would be nice to get some tickets this year without begging or sitting in a damn virtual waiting room in february.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 08:26:54 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;212414
I\'m not abandoning the red sox.

Good thing!

When did your Cubs fandom (made up word I know) commence? I never knew.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 08:32:12 pm by jocelyn »
Masturbation in the MFA

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 09:03:50 pm »
first time I watched ferris bullers day off. Then again after the red sox won the series in 04, I figured I could branch out to cheer for other teams with dismal records. One of the girls I work with is currently trying to turn me into a lions fan on this premises :lol:

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 06:32:16 am »
2009 Sox Pax will be available beginning at 10 a.m. on Saturday, December 13 on redsox.com in conjunction with Christmas at Fenway.

Each pack includes one ticket for each game in the pack. Fans will be allowed to purchase up to 4 seats per pack, up to 2 different pax, subject to availability.

All game times are subject to change. Sox Pax tickets are non-exchangeable and non-refundable.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 07:24:00 am »
http://www.youtube.com/v/75Gx8OmO9Rk&hl=en&fs=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/75Gx8OmO9Rk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">