Author Topic: Setlist: 2008-11-28 - Middle East Upstairs; Cambridge, MA  (Read 6670 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Setlist: 2008-11-28 - Middle East Upstairs; Cambridge, MA
« on: November 28, 2008, 10:35:22 pm »
I: The Chase, jam > Wake Up In A Coma > Gravity, The Late And The Great > Over Exposure > Earache My Eye* > jam > Taboo Or Not Taboot

* with \'So What\'cha Want\' (Beastie Boys) and \'Love In An Elevator\' (Aerosmith) teases; with bass solo; with drum solo.

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 02:05:44 am »
1 setter? monstrous. any show with a late over is offically ser. made me have to listen to the Late and Graet from the last middle east, epic.

crowd vocals got pretty ser
caress me, aunt jemima

TeddyT

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 03:52:12 am »
Highlight of the night for me was Overexposure with Gravity and Wape Up in a Coma a distant second and third, respectively. Show was sold out!!!!

Ren

• what?
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 04:40:42 am »
i never had to make myself look sad and pitiful to gain entrance to a b\'fast show, but it actually worked.  all the times i\'ve been there it\'s never been a problem, fuck we were there at 9:30, found out they were going on at 11:45, killed an hour came back and it was sold out.  go figure.

the show was a good one.  short.  but hard hitting.  wuiac was the shit.  gravity killed.  but i must say the late and the great had that little somethin\' extra, great singing along, just silly solo by tim, and a long awaited solo by jordan.  overexposure was definitely my highlight, especially the fuckin\' sick ending that was a lot more intense than usual.  no offense to the boys but earache did seem to drag a bit, i remember thinking something along the lines of, "ok, wrap it up boys, the clock is ticking...

...fuckin\' middle east.  todd said they would be done at, "exactly 1:15 and 10 seconds."  it was more like, 1:14:59...aaand 1:15...ok, lights on!

fuck!!!
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 05:48:30 am »
Quote from: Ren;212251
i never had to make myself look sad and pitiful to gain entrance to a b\'fast show, but it actually worked.  all the times i\'ve been there it\'s never been a problem, fuck we were there at 9:30, found out they were going on at 11:45, killed an hour came back and it was sold out.  go figure.

the show was a good one.  short.  but hard hitting.  wuiac was the shit.  gravity killed.  but i must say the late and the great had that little somethin\' extra, great singing along, just silly solo by tim, and a long awaited solo by jordan.  overexposure was definitely my highlight, especially the fuckin\' sick ending that was a lot more intense than usual.  no offense to the boys but earache did seem to drag a bit, i remember thinking something along the lines of, "ok, wrap it up boys, the clock is ticking...

...fuckin\' middle east.  todd said they would be done at, "exactly 1:15 and 10 seconds."  it was more like, 1:14:59...aaand 1:15...ok, lights on!

fuck!!!

Quote from: Ren;212252

fuck!!!

"Fill my eyes with that double vision....
No disguise for that double vision"
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 05:48:30 am by alexanderzurflu »
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 08:23:02 am »
I can\'t wait to hear this show... Please tell me that it was taped... Please...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

mvallo

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 08:49:17 am »
Quote from: Yoda;212255
I can\'t wait to hear this show... Please tell me that it was taped... Please...

yes, dave p and chris f - audio; Matt V, Derik w. and Ken r on 5 cams.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 10:36:42 am »
* Tim also played the Fox NFL Sunday theme during Over Exposure

Another record setting night for cost per song.  You may remember this post from 9/5/08 at Sully\'s:

Quote from: Wolfman
Your Breakfast statistician is also obliged to report that this was the most expensive show ever in terms of cost per song. With a $10 cover and 8 songs played, that\'s $1.25 per song. That is stratospheric for The Breakfast, in fact, they had never broken the $1 mark before.

Well, you can kiss that record goodbye!  There were 3 prices tonight.  The show was advertised as $10 adv/$12 door but the only way to get the $10 ticket was at the box office.  If you bought advance on Ticketmaster it was $15.05!  I think I\'m the only person dumb enough to have done this.  (Nothing better than getting screwed for buying in advance, thanks TM.)  So with 7 songs played my cost per song was $15.05/7 or $2.15 per song.  WOW!  Over the $2 mark!  Phish doesn\'t even break the $2 per song mark most shows.  Most people paid $12 at the door, that\'s $1.71 per song, still astronomical.  

I also have to believe this was the most expensive show ever at cost per minute, though I certainly cannot claim to have data on this.  The show was approximately 90 minutes, so I paid $15.05/90 or 16.72 cents per minute.  Considering that your standard Breakfast show runs about 170 minutes of playing time and costs about $8, that\'s about 4.7 cents per minute.   So this show was 4 times more expensive than your average show.  Ouch.  

At least I was the only serhead in the house with a good drive time:show time ratio.  This is a stat we all deal with a lot.  Since my drive time (both ways included) was only about 10 minutes I was sporting a nifty 10/90 or .11 DTST ratio.  (You want this number to be as low as possible.)  But everyone who came from CT or Albany was looking at about 300/90 for an ugly 3.33.  

SO THE POINT IS:[/COLOR][/B]

With so many people fighting through dismal cost-per-song and drive time:show time numbers, I think the effect on the crowd was evident.  The show was good, but was not the holiday tour  throwdown of Middle East shows gone by.  The show was exhausting at some points.  You know those shows where they jam out every section of everything?  It can be challenging as a listener.  You and I can handle it, but some people can\'t keep up and it saps the crowd.  You get jam > WUIAC, OK, that\'s 10 minutes of jamming.  Then Gravity goes through about 3 minutes of "song" before a 8-10 minute jam, and when it looks like they\'re coming back into something song-like (vocal "liquid brain of zen" reprise) the "gravity is my frieeeeeeeend" jam goes off for 10 more minutes.  Now you\'re looking at about 25 minutes of straight jamming broken up only by 3 minutes of the beginning of Gravity.  Again, you and I like it, but this can be pretty challenging to a crowd.  OE as well, every single section was stretched out, especially the ending sections.  Great to go back and listen to, possibly exhaustive if you\'re standing in a crowded room.

Moral: Most shows are best in person and the recordings do them justice but cannot totally recreate the madness.  But some shows are actually better on recording than in person due to venue factors.  This show will be better on recording.  Download away!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 10:51:15 am by Wolfman »

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 11:15:42 am »
very insense but short show...WUIAC was one of the best ever with a trance jam in the middle of it that made me ask ren if he thought they were going to jump right into the queeb trance jam.

the late and the great was one for the ages...easily the most powerful and crispest/tightest version ive ever heard live.  nearly brought tears to the crowds eyes.  my friend who has only seen the band 2 times could not stop talking about LATG more than any other song played.

def missed having ellis for the 2nd show in a row ive seen.  its not thesame without him, but the playing made up for it.  havent seen jordan in a full show since 5-5-05 and i forgot how awesome he is and how much he adds to the sound.

great times, see everyone soon.
DS Newbers

Ren

• what?
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 12:38:21 pm »
when i hit "post quick reply" the screen went all white, then i refreshed and hit it again, then nothing, then the whole internet browser froze.  i shut it down, and tried 3 different browsers and none of them worked, i said fuck it and went to bed...
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

ulee

• Psygned in
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 12:40:32 pm »
Late and the Great was very powerful indeed, really showcases Tim\'s talent.. seems like it should be played on the radio, say some.
Wolfie, nice work with the stats!!! :lol:   I had a good face-melt:zone-out ratio last night, with Jordan back in action.

siflandollie

• Victory to RAGE
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 03:14:29 pm »
Jordan is the man.  The synth stuff was spot on and the organ! fuck yeaaaaaa.  If there is any keyboard player out there that is perfect for this band it is jordan.  The communication between him adrian and tim is still there and he just pushes the show over the edge.  whereas with stoops/matt O they could and did get ser and lock in at times, with jordan it was continuous.  

1 set was a tease but luckily it was played like a second set+encore.  I thought the whole show was pretty bonkers.  Chase opener was perfect.  WUIAC was killer, gravity was killer. LATG->OE was of course ser.  OE got on the grime.  Definitely a jam heavy show.  I agree that Earache my eye might have been stretched a bit, personally I think it would\'ve been better placed earlier in the set.  The Sound was written on the setlist as the last song but they played Taboo instead, I can\'t complain.  

Opening bands sucked balllllllssss.  generic doesn\'t do justice, mediocre would be a compliment.  Perhaps it was because of these bands it sold out?  I don\'t know.  But I do know that if there were no opening bands there would\'ve been enough time for 3 sets.  

Talked to a number of full on breakfast n00bs last night too who all had positive experiences so that is a plus.

Personally I think the band needs to co-bill in boston with some larger groups from boston and move on up to the paradise.

sahdeditty

• http://
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 04:28:31 pm »
Damn!
Wish I was able to make it last night!

There was a nice little section about the boys and the show last Night in The Boston Globe good to see!

I agree they do need to move to the Paradise and rock that place
"When The Fuck did we get Ice Cream?"
" I went to the store to buy a candle holder, they didn\'t have any so I bought a Cake!"

siflandollie

• Victory to RAGE

tpalms4prez

• :banwpoa:
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 09:25:28 pm »
jordan needs to stay its as simple as that