Author Topic: Life - A Rant  (Read 2413 times)

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Life - A Rant
« on: October 29, 2008, 04:50:47 pm »
I just need a place to vent and figured this was a good spot. So ignore it if you want

Recently I have been thinking about life, and what exactly that means. I guess you might say Whoa there buddy, heavy topics etc etc. What I really seem to be questioning is the daily grind. The get up, go to work, go home rinse repeat of life. I seem to always be asking myself the same question, "Who the fuck came up with this idea" I just don\'t see this as "living", existing yes, but living NO.

Don\'t get me wrong, I have a pretty good life, I make a decent living etc but What is it for ? The easy answers are money, shelter etc but I think what I am getting at is after doing this for at least 13 straight years I just do not see what the point is anymore. I look around me, at my friends, my family, my elders and all I see is an endless grind until the unfortunate day that it all stops. How is that life, how is that living ? Is that all there is for the most of us, to be drones in the hive of life, always serving the system perpetuating the endless work ?

I guess I\'m just tired.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
Life - A Rant
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 04:54:17 pm »
So grateful for the job I have...

I was just feeling cranky about being at the barn today for 10 hours, and being cold and not having any way to warm up or get food, due to no car... And this put things into perspective. Thanks for that.

Kindms, I know you are not alone in feeling this way. I\'m pretty sure it\'s a common theme, and such a frustrating one at that... Perhaps a new occupation is in order? it\'s never too late to make changes.
Masturbation in the MFA

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
Life - A Rant
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 05:03:25 pm »
Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run there\'s still time to change the road you\'re on.

(Sorry Yoda)
DS Newbers

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
Life - A Rant
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 05:11:37 pm »
if your job isn\'t what you love, then someting isn\'t right

-david byrne
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

ulee

• Psygned in
Life - A Rant
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 05:35:46 pm »
I know people like to give up on this without trying it, but, the answer to this problem I believe lies in finding God.  Without a spiritual dimension, life can be quite empty/pointless-seeming, and has a void that nothing else can fill.  Spirituality takes time and work to develop, just like anything physical or mental, and it\'s a process, like most things in life.

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
Life - A Rant
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 05:45:24 pm »
Happiness is different for everyone.

In February I went into business for myself hoping it would set me free from the grind you speak of.

I\'ve been really miserable and super irritable over the past few months, because I take the pressure and problems home with me.  A bad week means no income- which means no weekend/evening fun.

I realized just last week that I can be perfectly happy hating my job during the day, as long as it afforded me to do what I wanted to on my own time.

Whoever said money can\'t buy happiness needs to find better things to spend their money on.

Work is necessary.  It\'s what you do with the rest of your time that defines you.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

mvallo

Life - A Rant
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 05:52:57 pm »
Time to put a ring on your girlfriends finger and start pumping out some children.  Raising children can be very satisfying and give new meaning to life and living. That\'s how I interpret your rant.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Life - A Rant
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 06:11:53 pm »
Quote from: ulee;209275
I know people like to give up on this without trying it, but, the answer to this problem I believe lies in finding God.  Without a spiritual dimension, life can be quite empty/pointless-seeming, and has a void that nothing else can fill.  Spirituality takes time and work to develop, just like anything physical or mental, and it\'s a process, like most things in life.

There is No GOD. and if there is one he is an asshole
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
Life - A Rant
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 07:10:08 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;209278
Quote from: ulee;209275

There is No GOD. and if there is one he is an asshole

LOL!  I was waiting to see who would respond to that one first.  Classic response!!

There\'s some interesting thoughts in here.  

It really does sound like you\'re bored and need to add a little more complexity to your life.

IMHO, your options:  

A) a more demanding job.
High monetary risk huge possible reward. huge demand on your time.  You may die a happy man, but it\'s not uncommon to hear about highly successful people realizing that it never filled the void... but it usually doesn\'t happen until their 50\'s.  Should buy ya decades.

B) children.
Ohhh the joy, Ohhhhh the nightmares, Ohhhh the anxiety.  There is N O free time.  They won\'t go away for 20 to 30 years... sometimes more.  It\'s a huge test to who you are and there are so many contributing factors to what you produce that LARGE chunks of every university library are dedicated to how to do it right and yet, nobody has it down.  there is no exact formula.  what works for some is a disaster for others.

C) a deeply complex and demanding hobby (ex: get a pilots license)
Take it from John Denver, the consequences can be deadly!  But I bet those last few seconds made him forget all about how boring his life was!!  Sunshine on my shoulder, makes me... OH FUCK MOUNTAIN!!

D) try to maintain a good job with with a serious drug addiction try heroin, alcohol, meth, or lots of coke).  Really delving in can make life fuckin\' C R A Z Y!!  You fully intended on going home early last night.  But then someone busted out a ball.  Now it\'s 4:30 am.  You\'re freakin\' W I R E D.  There\'s no way you\'re gonna fall asleep.  Now ya gotta figure out how to get your shit together.  You\'re not gonna think about how boring life is while you\'re working that day.

E) emerse yourself in faith
Look at all the flavors!!  But it sounds to me like you\'re a person that is sick to shit of Organized religion.  There are so many deeper flavors to faith then organized religion.  Look into it.  Faith that has nothing to do with organized religion started thousands of decades before Jesus, Mohammed, Vishnu, etc etc etc.  I think the whole concept is making a comeback... get in on the ground floor, maybe you\'ll get worshipped some day!!  Just remember me:  Letter from Billy to the KindM.

I\'m sure I haven\'t told you anything here that you haven\'t already heard or thought of.  I just had a little typing itch to scratch tonight.

While re-reading this post, I figured I\'d add the following:  All the successful/ happy people I\'ve ever heard of had one thing in common.

A fascination with understanding everything around them.  So much of us is genetic.  We have no control over it.  But I really believe that being fascinated with understand is something we can learn, build on, and eventually hunger for. I think with the right frame of mind, you can continue to build on the hunger to learn, grow, hunger for knowledge.

Just my opinion.

some days I follow, other days I abandon.

might help.  hope it does.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 07:21:11 pm by SlimPickens »

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
Life - A Rant
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 08:11:58 pm »
life\'s rough man.  funny you made this thread today.  has nothing to do with work or anything, but i just found out my sister got diagnosed with breast cancer, the death of my mother and the disease that almost killed my aunt.  i\'d appreciate any sort of good vibes and energy you guys could send my way.  thanks friends
*Gia*

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
Life - A Rant
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 08:20:03 pm »
so sorry to hear gabo.

back to the subject.  i definitely hear you on the work to live/live to work society that we got stuck in.  basically it comes down to the fact that w/o a job and some money, quality of life would be that much worse.  life is more about finding what your passionate about, and finding ways to enjoy the time you have to work on that.  creation is the key fundamental of life.  if you have the luck to have a job where your true creativity shines through, then you\'re blessed.  we\'re put on this world to do one of two things, live a life and be forgotten like 99% of the people, or actually do something worthwhile and leave a proper impression on the world.  

more often than not i\'m in the first category, but my goal is to get into the latter at some point.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
Life - A Rant
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 08:28:34 pm »
Turn back the hand of time a few hundred years and you could be spending your entire life hunting/gathering/farming with little other excitement or mobility outside of whatever your family/village/city has to offer.  Think of the hardships most of us do not have to endure that our ancestors did, the life expectancy increase since, the modern tools at our disposal to make so many aspects of life simple and enjoyable.  

I\'ll take the 9-5 grind and then the millions of choices of how to spend the free time any day over the way it used to be.  For all the complaints we have in this complex life, we have so much to be thankful for.  We are really spoiled that there are million ways to earn a living and a million ways to consume your surplus income.  

Gabo - best wishes to your sister.  How old is she?
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
Life - A Rant
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 08:33:29 pm »
Much love and good vibes to you and your sis Gavin.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
Life - A Rant
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 10:12:29 pm »
Mike you are on the right track.  The problem is money and our monetary system. We as humans can never reach our full potential until this system is eliminated.

http://www.thevenusproject.com/intro_main.htm
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

peaches626

Life - A Rant
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 11:04:28 pm »
poophead, my positive flow is directed towards you.

kindm, life\'s just a ride man, you get a chance to see what this whole "consciousness" thing is all about, and take a stab at it.  just appreciate the chance to take the ride, enjoy it while you can
taints rule, gypsies drool!