Author Topic: 10 Bands You Must See Once Before You (or They) Die  (Read 2288 times)

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
10 Bands You Must See Once Before You (or They) Die
« on: October 14, 2008, 01:45:53 pm »
I don\'t think I have even seen enough bands to make an accurate list, so this is more for those of you who have seen tons of different live shows.  I will attempt to make a list based on the shows I have seen, and also the shows my father has seen and said were must-see performances.

No particular order (and some of these groups have already died/defunked, oops):

Phish
Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
David Bowie
Grateful Dead
Elton John
The Breakfast (had to do it)
Radiohead (based on a request by my roomate, I havent seen them)
The Who
Phil Collins and/or Genesis

I decided to make this thread after hearing the recent rave reviews of "of Montreal," mostly by Dave.  I\'d especially like to see what Dave\'s list would look like.
DS Newbers

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 02:11:02 pm »
Quote from: ds673488;207775
I don\'t think I have even seen enough bands to make an accurate list, so this is more for those of you who have seen tons of different live shows.  I will attempt to make a list based on the shows I have seen, and also the shows my father has seen and said were must-see performances.

No particular order (and some of these groups have already died/defunked, oops):

Phish Done
Rolling Stones Done - won\'t do it again
Pink Floyd Saw Waters-less Floyd and Waters solo and I\'ll take Waters solo
David Bowie Saw him with NIN, would much rather see him when he\'s not trying to sound like NIN
Grateful Dead Done
Elton John Done
The Breakfast (had to do it) Done
Radiohead (based on a request by my roomate, I havent seen them) Done
The Who Done
Phil Collins and/or Genesis No urge to see Phil Collins, but have seen Gabriel solo

I decided to make this thread after hearing the recent rave reviews of "of Montreal," mostly by Dave.  I\'d especially like to see what Dave\'s list would look like.

My list would be a little different:

Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band
Pearl Jam
Phish / Grateful Dead
Brian Wilson
Rusted Root
Eric Clapton
Ozric Tentacles
Bob Dylan
The Misfits (if Danzig ever gets back with the band)
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 02:34:59 pm »
Tool and Rage Against The Machine should be added to the list.
Smell my mule.

psychjosh

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 02:56:26 pm »
Led Zeppelin (if they ever tour again w/ Jr.)
Stones - check
The Who - This Month
Grateful Dead - check
Phish - check
U2
Dylan (for nostalgia I guess cause he aint the same)- check
Paul and or Ringo
Wilco
Allman Bros. Band - check
Bring Back the Shotty Nasal!

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 04:58:37 pm »
Garaj Mahal
Gongzilla
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Steve Morse/The Dregs
Ana Popovic
Jazz is Dead w/ Jimmy Herring
The Breakfast
God Street Wine
Phish
Allman Bros.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 05:02:42 pm »
I have seen a good number of the folks on everyone\'s lists.

I know the 1 that haunts me is:

Ray Charles.

I would like to catch
Willie Nelson
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 05:31:08 pm »
don\'t have time to make a list right now, but i\'ve always said i really want to see Madonna before i die/she quits...

siflandollie

• Victory to RAGE
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 05:33:36 pm »
B.B. King

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 05:42:22 pm »
Quote from: ds673488;207775

Phish - got into them a month after their last UK tour - waaah - so hoping Hampton won\'t be the last gigs they do
Rolling Stones - not interested - see the Pretty Things instead for real RnB
Pink Floyd - only if Syd were alive, so nope
David Bowie - no thanks, unless Ziggy comes back
Grateful Dead - passed on the last UK tour to "catch them on the next one" :(
Elton John - :vomit2:
The Breakfast (had to do it) - well, obviously
Radiohead (based on a request by my roomate, I havent seen them) - people here know my opinion of this whining lot...
The Who - not yet, but when  the gigs don\'t clash with my family holidays... (every bloody time!)
Phil Collins and/or Genesis - have seen them with Ray Wilson and was impressed. Would definitely see them with Gabriel if it ever happened.

Would also add the following acts everyone should see at least once:

SCI - (if they went back in playing style to anything pre-2005). London 2004 was fantastic, but 2006 was too techno
Keller Williams - always great fun and the looping has to be seen and experienced live to believe
Macca - though I\'ve not seen him for a few years - wall-to-wall singalongs
Rick Wakeman - preferably with a band, but he\'s always damn good
Daevid Allen - either with Gong, University of Errors or solo - have seen all sorts of Divided Alien gigs and he has NEVER disappointed.
Gandalf Murphy & the Slambovian Circus of Dreams - if only to see Sharkey play slide mandolin on Tink and then to lose all inhibitions by joining in on The Yodel Song!! :)
Jefferson Starship - preferably with Marty on board singing Comin\' Back To Me as the first song of the encore, followed by PK leading a monster Pooneil, but any setlist would suffice; I have seen this band more times than any other and do as much of their tours as possible every year.
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

gitCHu ONe.

• I reckon y\'all fixin to..
    • http://www.gitchuone.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 05:45:58 pm »
The Mars Volta - saw once in 2005, very crazy stage presence

Modest Mouse - would like to see again

George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic - missed in 2001 as I was under 21

MMW - missed w/ Scofield last year, coming to the Reno area end of Nov

The Bad Plus - Missed in SF NYE, went to 2 nites of STS9 instead

Lymbyc Systym - 2 piece on the likes of Mice Parade, but great jamming out of Tempe/Austin/NYC

Lake Trout - Got free tickets in Tempe at the first PB show in AZ 2003

Citizen Cope - Good show... seems to be a tettering heroin addict, still good tunes

Tool - can\'t order tickets fast enough, refuse to pay scalpers

Space Capone - doesn\'t get too far outta Nashville

Those are my ten for now.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 08:17:38 pm »
Quote from: gitCHu ONe.;207813

haven\'t seen these guys in so, so long. they still touring? definitely great stuff (although i wouldn\'t put them in my top 10 to-see list of all time, but hey, cool beans).

tyzack

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 01:09:14 pm »

Tool - can\'t order tickets fast enough, refuse to pay scalpers

I\'ve been to three of their shows, and i normally order tickets the monday after they go on sale.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

gitCHu ONe.

• I reckon y\'all fixin to..
    • http://www.gitchuone.com
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 02:25:57 pm »
Quote from: galenas;207832

haven\'t seen these guys in so, so long. they still touring? definitely great stuff (although i wouldn\'t put them in my top 10 to-see list of all time, but hey, cool beans).

I believe they do still "tour". Mostly in and around the Baltimore area from what I have gathered. Prior to having any major releases all their tunes were basically instrumentals and/or with minor lyrics. I figured they just hadn\'t written any lyrics really for the songs they played. But after Another One Lost came out they fought with the idea of losing their "live sound" and made a statement that they would still play the experimental sounds live. Something like that.

I put them so high up in the list because I have always held them apart from other groups I enjoy. Mostly because it has been very obscure and I enjoyed them in my own little world. Back in 2003 as we entered the bar to see PB everyone was given a free ticket to the upcoming LT show which were selling for like $10. Not too many people from Tempe had heard of them and I managed to rally as many people as I could to go to the show. Very mixed reviews from the crew I got to go with me. We saw the show, which didn\'t last long, and everyone I was with was ready to get the hell outta there ASAP, which sucked. I bought some schwag (the merch not the brown "green") and hoped that they would return to our area. Hadn\'t seen em since. This is also another reason why they score so high on my list because I would hope to have had a better experience this time around.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

lilblondie

• the FU queen
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 02:33:54 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;207806
don\'t have time to make a list right now, but i\'ve always said i really want to see Madonna before i die/she quits...

i went to see her in Hartford two years ago and she really is out of this world...she didnt want the AC on because she uses her show as a work out and it was a million degrees! however if youa rent being fresh adn would really like to see her...i would say do it...also her dancers are out of sight...they had this jungle gym on the stage and were jumping, flipping and climbing...amazing!

i have also been to so many shows and i dont even know what my list would be...i am gonna have to think about it....hmmmmm.....but so far it seems like people have some pretty good ones...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:53:00 pm by lilblondie »
maybe the sun will shine today...
the clouds will roll away..
maybe i wont be so afraid..
i will understand that everything has its plan...
either way...

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 02:39:12 pm »
Quote from: lilblondie;207998
Quote from: davepeck;207806

i went to see her in Hartford two years ago and she really is out of this world...she didnt want the AC on because she uses her show as a work out and it was a million degrees! however if youa rent being fresh adn would really like to see her...i would say do it...also her dancers are out of sight...they had this jungle gym on the stage and were jumping, flipping and climbing...amazing!

not being fresh. dead serious. Michael Jackson was probably on that list at one time too, but i do believe he is done.

i\'ll throw Prince out there too.