Author Topic: Phish in 2009  (Read 207018 times)

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
Phish in 2009
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2008, 10:53:05 pm »
i cant believe someone actually took the time to write that
DS Newbers

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
Phish in 2009
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2008, 10:59:51 pm »
D+ at best

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
Phish in 2009
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2008, 11:19:04 pm »
Clearly missed the mark, but the point I was trying to make is that some are trumpeting this letter from Page as official news of a glorious return. I\'m wondering why this was not an official band statement? It seemed like Page was almost annoyed that people were treating word from Trey as gospel w/o hearing from the others.  Maybe I\'m getting carried away but statements released as individuals feed my worst fears that they\'ll come back as four individuals, not as a band, and the music will suffer.  In future I\'ll keep a 2 line limit on the posts.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
Phish in 2009
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2008, 11:25:49 pm »
just bustin your balls... I agree for the most part. I thought of it when trey first started yapping. considering trey is pretty much the one who fucked it all up to begin with then the day he gets out of rehab and off probation he is all fired up and making public statements and everyone starts talking and speculating without thinking about or consulting with the other band members....I could see how  paige could be a bit ticked off. but still think he is down. but will depend on how the four of them chilling again goes.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 12:14:15 am by Klout »

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Phish in 2009
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2008, 11:16:06 am »
Quote from: Klout;194435
just bustin your balls... I agree for the most part. I thought of it when trey first started yapping. considering trey is pretty much the one who fucked it all up to begin with then the day he gets out of rehab and off probation he is all fired up and making public statements and everyone starts talking and speculating without thinking about or consulting with the other band members....I could see how  paige could be a bit ticked off. but still think he is down. but will depend on how the four of them chilling again goes.

Trey simply said he can / wants to play phish tunes again. He wasn\'t really making any statements about the future of the band other than he loves Phish etc. It was fan speculation that created this frenzy, reading between the lines.

And don\'t kid yourself, Page mentions that the guys want to get together to hang out. In the interview with Gordon he said they have already sat down and had dinners. He also said the rumors came from truth. Which basically means that Phish or someone from the org. actually reached out and inquired about his availability (Lillywhite). So it sounds to me (as a not huge phish fan) that the 4 of them have alreay gotten together, they had some laughs and are actually thinking about it.

But of course this is just my take on it.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

tyzack

• http://
Phish in 2009
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2008, 01:36:40 pm »
One of the things Trey said in his 2004 interview with Charlie Rose was that he didn\'t really like the whole "circus" tour atmisphere of phish. They had become something to follow/listen while "at a show" instead of going to a show for them.

That is a rather egotistical statement, but it has some truth.

I followed phish for a long time, so I am just as guilty as everyone else. They are just a band, it\'s just a concert, there really isn\'t that much too it.

Reading all these people (not here, there are worse boards) fall all over themselfs about these annoucement and hints and stuff is rather annoying.

It was a great time, but its over. Move on.

They should too.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
Phish in 2009
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2008, 01:39:36 pm »
::nuggets::
Smell my mule.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
Phish in 2009
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2008, 03:35:05 pm »
you wonder what will happen to the rest of the "jamband" scene after/if phish returns.

a LOT of bands that were kinda sorta popular before got much more so after phish disbanded because now there was a pool of phans who before spent all their time/money on phish but now they had more to throw into other bands.

it might cause a general recession in bands that have gotten more popular since phish left
DS Newbers

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Phish in 2009
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2008, 04:34:14 pm »
Quote from: booztravlr;194509

Must be nice having Fridays off!

I have ophishially listened to more Phish in the past 4 months than in the previous 4 years combined.  Haven\'t listened to Phish this much in about 9-10 years.  Been talking about old shows a lot too.

But here\'s the kicker.  Had a Phish dream last night, first in a couple of years.  You\'re not going to believe this one.  I couldn\'t make this up... [fade to dream squence]

It\'s a Tim solo show at a very small theater, and into the audience comes Mike Gordon (just like Fonghoulish Freakout 9.)  He watches the first set, all is good.  He\'s hanging backstage with Tim and the gang during setbreak and we all kind of talk him into going onstage for a song to start 2nd set.  So Tim goes out there and starts playing, but Mike is still backstage because he\'s having a technical problem with his bass.  After a few minutes he gets it fixed, but he\'s kind of freaking out that he\'s not on stage yet and that he\'s missing the song he\'s supposed to be playing.  So he kind of runs down the hall towards the stage, even lightly pushing a couple people out of the way.  (By the way, he is running very awkwardly, which I\'d bet is probably true in real life.)  He is just making it to the stage when he trips over some wires on the ground.  He then crashes into an unused drumset on the stage and crumples to the ground, on stage, with a broken leg.  Everyone in the audience thinks it\'s funny for maybe 10-20 seconds, then Tim stops playing and Mike is lying there howling in pain and everyone realizes that Mike Gordon is lying on the stage with a broken leg, and the whole place goes quiet.  I ran up to try to administer some first aid, and the audience started to leave realizing the show was over.  

[/dream sequence]

tyzack

Phish in 2009
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2008, 04:40:45 pm »
Quote from: ds673488;194525
you wonder what will happen to the rest of the "jamband" scene after/if phish returns.

a LOT of bands that were kinda sorta popular before got much more so after phish disbanded because now there was a pool of phans who before spent all their time/money on phish but now they had more to throw into other bands.

it might cause a general recession in bands that have gotten more popular since phish left

Hopefully not a recession, hopefully and stricker fitness algorithm will be applied and people will realize that there really are only 2 jam bands worth seeing:
The Breakfast
Phish.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Phish in 2009
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman;194534
Quote from: booztravlr;194509

Must be nice having Fridays off!

I have ophishially listened to more Phish in the past 4 months than in the previous 4 years combined.  Haven\'t listened to Phish this much in about 9-10 years.  Been talking about old shows a lot too.

But here\'s the kicker.  Had a Phish dream last night, first in a couple of years.  You\'re not going to believe this one.  I couldn\'t make this up... [fade to dream squence]

It\'s a Tim solo show at a very small theater, and into the audience comes Mike Gordon (just like Fonghoulish Freakout 9.)  He watches the first set, all is good.  He\'s hanging backstage with Tim and the gang during setbreak and we all kind of talk him into going onstage for a song to start 2nd set.  So Tim goes out there and starts playing, but Mike is still backstage because he\'s having a technical problem with his bass.  After a few minutes he gets it fixed, but he\'s kind of freaking out that he\'s not on stage yet and that he\'s missing the song he\'s supposed to be playing.  So he kind of runs down the hall towards the stage, even lightly pushing a couple people out of the way.  (By the way, he is running very awkwardly, which I\'d bet is probably true in real life.)  He is just making it to the stage when he trips over some wires on the ground.  He then crashes into an unused drumset on the stage and crumples to the ground, on stage, with a broken leg.  Everyone in the audience thinks it\'s funny for maybe 10-20 seconds, then Tim stops playing and Mike is lying there howling in pain and everyone realizes that Mike Gordon is lying on the stage with a broken leg, and the whole place goes quiet.  I ran up to try to administer some first aid, and the audience started to leave realizing the show was over.  

[/dream sequence]

I think you might be Ghey for Gordon !

:biggrin:
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Phish in 2009
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2008, 06:46:03 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;194539

I think you might be Ghey for Gordon !

:biggrin:

Ummm...sure.

Anyways, here\'s a question for everyone:

What Phish song would blow the doors off the first show harder than any other as the opener?[/SIZE][/COLOR]  

This is not asking what song that you would most want to hear necessarily.  What song would make people just lose their mind and start eating glowsticks from the first few licks?  In \'03 they came back after a 1.5 year hiatus with Piper...

I think you have to go with a Phish classic in this spot.  Something that everyone knows and is well established and is just a can\'t-miss.  I know they used to do Foreplay/Longtime a lot when they hadn\'t been at a venue in a while but for this spot I don\'t think it works; it\'s not a Phish original and it could be argued that it\'s cheesy.  

Man, there are so many ways to go here!  I vote Chalkdust.  It comes right out of the gate rocking in the first 10 seconds, established classic, "Can\'t I live while I\'m young", it\'s all there.  I think people would tear the seats out when they hear the opening licks.  I was thinking Antelope for a while but it takes a little too long to really get going.  For a sleeper (not an A-list Phish tune but one that would surprise everyone and secretly kick ass) I think First Tube would work pretty well here too.  

And while we\'re here, what Phish original would be the worst possible opener?  The heads are all in the building foaming at the mouth, most people paid $500-$800 a seat, the lights go down, people are already jumping around hugging strangers like their favorite team just won a championship, the guys take the stage...start the first song........and the air totally goes out of the balloon as everyone stops and just looks at each other like "WTF????"

Jennifer Dances is the obvious frontrunner, a little too easy to vote for.  How about Fikus?  That would suck pretty bad.  Hehe this is fun.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:05:37 pm by Wolfman »

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
Phish in 2009
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2008, 06:58:02 pm »
i second frist tube as a great opener for several reasons:

1.  almost everyone, including most of the young kids who will be at the show, know this tune

2.  it ALWAYS gets everyone jumping off the ground

3.  It is one of those songs that right out of the gate it is rockin and everyone knows whats coming 1 second into it.

as for a horrible opener, i could think of so many so im not really gonna pin down one.  strange design would probably deflate everything.
DS Newbers

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Phish in 2009
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »
Split Open and Melt

with a vengence
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

postom

• let\'s go pens
Phish in 2009
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2008, 07:34:46 pm »
wolfie - i had a phish reunion dream the other night as well.  aren\'t they fucking beautiful?  i just wake up happy :)