Author Topic: Frank Zappa is one TOUGHMAN  (Read 2949 times)

galenas

• Global Moderator
Frank Zappa is one TOUGHMAN
« on: September 22, 2008, 12:30:14 pm »
Congrats to Paul Ryan for competing in the first annual Westchester TOUGHMAN competition. It\'s a half iron man event, consisting of a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike and a 13.1 mile run. Craziness!

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 12:39:38 pm »
I could never imagine swimming that far.....good job!!!!!!!
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

lilblondie

• the FU queen
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 01:24:23 pm »
cant wait to hear all about it....hope that you are taking some time to recover!
maybe the sun will shine today...
the clouds will roll away..
maybe i wont be so afraid..
i will understand that everything has its plan...
either way...

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 02:28:00 pm »
i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear
DS Newbers

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 02:54:02 pm »
congrats Paul!
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 03:32:15 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;203732
that\'s not how *I* would notate it. back in 99, those were all SEPARATE EVENTS. now you guys want to turn it all into one race, but the swimming section was developed first, like, before we could walk on land which certainly came before humans running and definitely came before they started biking, so that is Obviously a separate event and should be notated as such. SWIMMING then biking>running. anyone who disagrees with me is just plain wrong!! this is the way i think it is, and that\'s the way it should always be! fuck evolution! Team Swimming for life!!!

congrats paul!!

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 03:40:23 pm »
Chuck Norris sleeps with the lights on, because he is afraid of Paul Ryan.

Congrats Paul... though your lack of dotinfo activity makes me wonder if you\'re too exhausted to type right now.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 04:16:29 pm »
Quote from: jking;203736
that\'s not how *I* would notate it. back in 99, those were all SEPARATE EVENTS. now you guys want to turn it all into one race, but the swimming section was developed first, like, before we could walk on land which certainly came before humans running and definitely came before they started biking, so that is Obviously a separate event and should be notated as such. SWIMMING then biking>running. anyone who disagrees with me is just plain wrong!! this is the way i think it is, and that\'s the way it should always be! fuck evolution! Team Swimming for life!!!

congrats paul!!

:fucktard:

I came on here trying to say something nice, but again, my words get all twisted. eat a D :drew:
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 05:15:57 pm »
Congrats Paul!  That is awesome stuff.  I\'ll remember that as I lumber through my 3 mile run, gasping and weezing with every......slow.....step.... tonight.

Quote from: jking;203736

congrats paul!!

LOL

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 05:39:55 pm »
yoda, you must live in a humorless vacuum. i\'m sorry for that.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 08:17:42 pm »
wow, you guys are all crazy!

So I kicked my own ass. This was the hardest course I\'ve ever done not even counting the distances.

Anyway, here\'s my crappy breakdown:
Overall RNK 125 out of 138 (ugh)
Swim place: 39th place   / 40:46:00
Transition 1, swim to bike: 3:09
Bike place: 26th / 2:47:15
Average speed: 20.1mph
Transition 2, bike to run: 0:47 seconds
Run Pace: 13:19 (12:00 on a treadmill is a 4 speed, so do the math, oof)   
Run time: 2:54:16
Total time: 6:57:56

Ok, so first of all, the swim. You had to go out to a sail boat, then turn and come back in to the other side of the beach making a triangle. Problem was, the water was really warm, which means it was foggy as hell. Like you couldn\'t see 10 feet ahead of you. So bad they pushed back the start of the race but 20 minutes later they had to let us go even though it was still foggy out. (probably because they had only rented the police to watch the intersections for a certain amount of time). So we went out into the fog. It was horrible. Normally you NEVER follow another swimmer in case they are off course, but that was about the only thing you could see. There were kayakers but you could barely see them either. So you followed other swimmers and guessed the direction the best you could. Constantly stopping and treading water, trying to figure out where you were. When in open water, you sight to pick a direction, so you swim to the sailboat, tree, etc. Problem was, the fog was so thick and moving so fast that you would think you see something and swim twoards it. Next time you would see it again and know it was there and keep going. Next 5-10 times, nothing but fog, then when you came up the 11th time, it was 50 ft to your right instead of 300 ft in front of you. :banghead:
The swim normally takes me 25-28 minutes. I came in at 40. The extra time in the water didn\'t help as it wore me out for the bike and run more than I should have been. Considering that I came in 39th out of 138 with that bad of a time shows how hard the swim was.

So onto the bike, which I was actually really happy with. This was a VERY hilly course, and I was able to keep above 5miles for ever 15 minutes, giving a 20mph course. Most rides I start around 25 and end around 16 average mph, but this one I was able to keep a very strong constant of 20 on some really hard hills. I\'m happy with 26th place. Top speed of 55mph! Fastest yet on this bike. And that doesn\'t even count hitting the car! (read on)

Bike course Elevation (the hills)

Bike Course Speed

The run was pathetic. Like the bike, this was all hill I was averaging a jog at 4.8 and I was only able to do 3 miles before having to walk part. From that point out I was doing about a half mile run/ half mile walk for the rest. Almost a third of the run was on trails. This would be like running into sleeping giant, and then up the entire blue trail before heading back out on the road. Very hard. I let the mental part get to me when I noticed that I was walking at 4.6, so how much difference would it make if I walked vs. run? pretty sad.

Run course elevation (hills)

Going back to the car; so I\'m only 2 miles or so from the end of the course and the police have the traffic held up at the intersections for us. Now I was had just turned left and was going down a short hill where there were about 6 cars held at the light. I had to turn right at this light. The cars were so close to the edge of the road that there was not room for me to get through between the car and the curb but there was room between the cars for me to go between them and around them through the middle of the intersection (perfectly safe since the police were holding the traffic for us).
SO, I cut between two cars. But I didn\'t cut the wheel hard enough and instead of going between them and around the one in front, I just went right into the back of it, still moving pretty fast. The car in front was an suv, so it was like a wall. The front wheel hit the bumper and stopped me instantly. This caused the back of the bike to lift up, which caused my helmet to smash into the back window. Since you can only transfer or convert power, I hit my head at the same speed I had been riding, about 15 mph. My head now came to a complete stop but the bike kept lifting, which caused my head to tilt forward chin first at 15 mph. My chin smashed into the window. As this was happening, the bike reached its epoch above me, causing my neck to bend like your elbow... The back of my head and the point between my shoulderblades came the closest they ever have been to touching. Instantly, they fell apart, the bike unhooked and I went straight down. People were all worried and asking me if I was ok. I didn\'t have time for any of that. All I could think of was how I had lost at least 20 seconds of time off of my bike split because of this mild inconvience. The cop and race guy were still talking as I said I\'m fine, got back on my bike and got going again. I heard the cop say to the race rep to see if he wanted to check his vehicle, but it was fine from what I saw. My neck didn\'t bother me really until I got to work today where the combination of exhaustion and possible whiplash had me going home on a half day to some pain killers and sleep. :thumbsup:
If it\'s still bothering me tomorrow I\'ll go to the doctor but i don\'t think it\'s that bad. This did have a detrimental effect on me though in that I kept thinking about it on the run. oh well.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 08:27:38 pm »
That\'s incredible Paul. You should be really proud. I\'m proud of you!
Masturbation in the MFA

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 08:29:23 pm »
jesus paul.... youre a mad man!

congrats for finishing that race... alive even ;)... you get the gold medal in my book!
and what CAN you do, when your world is invaded by a reggaejunkiejew?!?

mvallo

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 08:35:31 pm »
WOW! What a race!! Nice job completing the course!!! Take care of yourself!!!!!

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 08:37:30 pm »
pictures are posted!

Foggy, foggy start:

wrong on so many levels:

not much better:

I heard a truck come up and stalling right behind the guy about a 1/4 mile back from me. I couldn\'t figure out why he wouldn\'t pass us. Then I realized that it was the photographers. This is that first dazed picture of my not understanding why they wouldn\'t pass me:

smiling and waving

tired

so if not for the fog in the swim, this would have been AT LEAST 20 minutes shorter, which would have also not made me as tired and I would have run a little more. I like to think I should have come in around 30 minutes shorter, which was still 30 minutes heavy on my goal time of >6 hours. oh well.

next year. :lol:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke