Author Topic: God I hate school  (Read 5696 times)

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
God I hate school
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2008, 05:07:54 pm »
Quote from: inthewhitelodge;202518
Quote from: kindm\'s;202515
Quote from: inthewhitelodge;202513
Quote from: Gordo;202390
My goal is to become a college professor. And yes, I do care deeply about the material. My general approach to a lot of things in life is (and has always been) sociological, I just didn\'t realize this until last year when I switched majors. I want to teach and continuously research/write in order to figure out ways to attack the system, or break down social injustices that I think are BLARING in this society but not given enough attention because, well, that\'s the point, right? I\'m not interested in becoming rich, I\'m interested in empowering people who are never given the tools to empower themselves, specifically intellectually. I can\'t tell you how sick it makes me hearing some of my best friends constantly say "lazy Successful and Attractive African Americans" or "stupid spics" in situations where it\'s OBVIOUS they\'ve had a tenth of the opportunities we\'ve had. Even at work, I feel like the Mexicans are basically dehumanized by the boss and coworkers alike. I know most people don\'t give a fuck about this or don\'t even want to believe there\'s any truth in sociology when their lives are smooth sailing comparatively. I know people want to continue to feel like they\'ve earned and are deserving of all of their perks in this "meritocracy" of America.... That shit just doesn\'t fly with me personally. So yeah, I\'m passionate about sociology and am fine with others not being so, but it definitely hits a nerve when someone straight up tags your route meaningless. I don\'t talk shit about anyone else\'s goals or ideas or think they\'re meaningless even if they might be for me.

ps I\'m not on the hype train around campus either, they annoy me too. I go to school for school, not to build a circus and act superior in my field.

I pre-warn anyone to reconsider what you are being taught at University and become a scrutineer concerning the agendas of public education!!!

I agree that we cannot judge someone\'s character by their race alone. It is a pure tragedy, and I fully respect anyone who is an activist, sociologist or philosopher or otherwise. However, if one is using a critical social lens, we might reveal the epitome of most social programs that have outright failed, at the cost to YOU; every single illegally taxed citizen, all in the name to "help" supposed underprivileged citizens. I am a fan of the free market and competition, which in effect will ultimately drive costs down and service provision up. To "equalize" or level the playing field, either by way of socialized medicine or welfare, would jeopardize the very existence of a free market society. Communism, in effect, attempts to economically level this societal playing field and as we\'ve seen in pre-USSR/China regimes, thwarts rights of privacy, independent business/competition, as well as a whole slew of anti- U.S. constitutional motifs.

I grew up in a very poor household, but I was never offered any help based on my White race. ( Of course not! ) I never expected any federal government compensation based on my family\'s economic status or my race. I relied on my family alone. We worked hard and see everyday people of all races who have worked hard to provide for their families and to educate themselves. Friends, it is up to us to help each other strengthen our families on a voluntary humanitarian basis.

It saddens me to ponder how we as legal law-abiding citizens are outright forced to pay our earned income via taxes that will pay for someone\'s "free" health care who decided to illegally cross our border. This person could be from any country; I am not targeting Mexicans, however thousands cross our border illegally with the expectation of deserving free housing and health care. Don\'t misinterpret me, I am all for legal immigrants! The true legal process represents the basis of the U.S. I do blame the employers who can look themselves in the mirror and deny an American a decent wage all in the name of saving a buck on cheap dehumanized illegal labor. The corporate giants are to blame! Why do we not consider optional charity as the resolve to any social program?

Basically, this results to the fact that I am a true Ron Paul facist who is fearful of the lurches of big government. As far as people having racist slang about whole groups, they may as well save their comments and look at their own actions instead. Phew. Kudos to anyone who read this.

That is the biggest croc O\' Shit O have read in a LOOOOOOONG time and that is saying something.

You start out by saying you believe in free markets and then blast corporations in the very next paragraph. So which is it, Free markets make things work or companies need to be regulated to ensure they employ Americans ?

And your love of free markets just got smacked in the face when WE the TAX Payers you so passionately defend just had to eat Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae and bail their ass out.

http://www.rgemonitor.com/blog/roubini

"Today instead the US has performed the greatest nationalization in the history of humanity. By nationalizing Fannie and Freddie the US has increased its public assets by almost $6 trillion and has increased its public debt/liabilities by another $6 trillion. The US has also turned itself into the largest government-owned hedge fund in the world: by injecting a likely $200 billion of capital into Fannie and Freddie and taking on almost $6 trillion of liabilities of such GSEs the US has also undertaken the biggest and most levered LBO (“leveraged buy-out”) in human history that has a debt to equity ratio of 30 ($6,000 billion of debt against $200 billion of equity)."

So Private profits and public loses is what your free markets get us.

I seriously think you misinterpreted my position. It\'s too bad that you can say I have given a crock of shit based on a few opinions you and I have. I would defend that I support those who work hard and not take advantage of others to get their status; i.e. corporations who pay workers low wages to succeed. I outright said that we should blame them, but that is why people have the free choice of what services and goods they will buy. I am absolutely totally against unethical corporations who do not abide by the legal framework they should be held accountable for. If the free market worked appropriately, the red tape of bureaucracy wouldn\'t have muddled up the entire Federal Reserve system that supposedly "nationalizes" these self-serving corporations.  

Don\'t make your attack so personal dude, it just fogs the facts you are attempting to give out.

Free marketers expose that any gov oversight is a bad thing and that the market forces will take care of themselves.

That is in essence what the housing market was. The government allowed unchecked and unregulated practices to go forward and even removed many of the oversight that was there. And what did the free market get us?

It got us predatory lending practices, over leveraged loan companies and a huge mess. That is what Free markets will get you. Corporations only care about profits and they are who drive the markets.

I am not talking about low wages. I am talking about market manipulations, insider deals etc etc. All of this would go unchecked in a Free Market as described by libertarians. I happen to agree with a lot of their platform except on this I think they are completely wrong.

There has to be oversight and checks and balances.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

inthewhitelodge

God I hate school
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2008, 05:26:20 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;202527
Quote from: inthewhitelodge;202518
Quote from: kindm\'s;202515
Quote from: inthewhitelodge;202513
Quote from: Gordo;202390
My goal is to become a college professor. And yes, I do care deeply about the material. My general approach to a lot of things in life is (and has always been) sociological, I just didn\'t realize this until last year when I switched majors. I want to teach and continuously research/write in order to figure out ways to attack the system, or break down social injustices that I think are BLARING in this society but not given enough attention because, well, that\'s the point, right? I\'m not interested in becoming rich, I\'m interested in empowering people who are never given the tools to empower themselves, specifically intellectually. I can\'t tell you how sick it makes me hearing some of my best friends constantly say "lazy Successful and Attractive African Americans" or "stupid spics" in situations where it\'s OBVIOUS they\'ve had a tenth of the opportunities we\'ve had. Even at work, I feel like the Mexicans are basically dehumanized by the boss and coworkers alike. I know most people don\'t give a fuck about this or don\'t even want to believe there\'s any truth in sociology when their lives are smooth sailing comparatively. I know people want to continue to feel like they\'ve earned and are deserving of all of their perks in this "meritocracy" of America.... That shit just doesn\'t fly with me personally. So yeah, I\'m passionate about sociology and am fine with others not being so, but it definitely hits a nerve when someone straight up tags your route meaningless. I don\'t talk shit about anyone else\'s goals or ideas or think they\'re meaningless even if they might be for me.

ps I\'m not on the hype train around campus either, they annoy me too. I go to school for school, not to build a circus and act superior in my field.

I pre-warn anyone to reconsider what you are being taught at University and become a scrutineer concerning the agendas of public education!!!

I agree that we cannot judge someone\'s character by their race alone. It is a pure tragedy, and I fully respect anyone who is an activist, sociologist or philosopher or otherwise. However, if one is using a critical social lens, we might reveal the epitome of most social programs that have outright failed, at the cost to YOU; every single illegally taxed citizen, all in the name to "help" supposed underprivileged citizens. I am a fan of the free market and competition, which in effect will ultimately drive costs down and service provision up. To "equalize" or level the playing field, either by way of socialized medicine or welfare, would jeopardize the very existence of a free market society. Communism, in effect, attempts to economically level this societal playing field and as we\'ve seen in pre-USSR/China regimes, thwarts rights of privacy, independent business/competition, as well as a whole slew of anti- U.S. constitutional motifs.

I grew up in a very poor household, but I was never offered any help based on my White race. ( Of course not! ) I never expected any federal government compensation based on my family\'s economic status or my race. I relied on my family alone. We worked hard and see everyday people of all races who have worked hard to provide for their families and to educate themselves. Friends, it is up to us to help each other strengthen our families on a voluntary humanitarian basis.

It saddens me to ponder how we as legal law-abiding citizens are outright forced to pay our earned income via taxes that will pay for someone\'s "free" health care who decided to illegally cross our border. This person could be from any country; I am not targeting Mexicans, however thousands cross our border illegally with the expectation of deserving free housing and health care. Don\'t misinterpret me, I am all for legal immigrants! The true legal process represents the basis of the U.S. I do blame the employers who can look themselves in the mirror and deny an American a decent wage all in the name of saving a buck on cheap dehumanized illegal labor. The corporate giants are to blame! Why do we not consider optional charity as the resolve to any social program?

Basically, this results to the fact that I am a true Ron Paul facist who is fearful of the lurches of big government. As far as people having racist slang about whole groups, they may as well save their comments and look at their own actions instead. Phew. Kudos to anyone who read this.

That is the biggest croc O\' Shit O have read in a LOOOOOOONG time and that is saying something.

You start out by saying you believe in free markets and then blast corporations in the very next paragraph. So which is it, Free markets make things work or companies need to be regulated to ensure they employ Americans ?

And your love of free markets just got smacked in the face when WE the TAX Payers you so passionately defend just had to eat Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae and bail their ass out.

http://www.rgemonitor.com/blog/roubini

"Today instead the US has performed the greatest nationalization in the history of humanity. By nationalizing Fannie and Freddie the US has increased its public assets by almost $6 trillion and has increased its public debt/liabilities by another $6 trillion. The US has also turned itself into the largest government-owned hedge fund in the world: by injecting a likely $200 billion of capital into Fannie and Freddie and taking on almost $6 trillion of liabilities of such GSEs the US has also undertaken the biggest and most levered LBO (“leveraged buy-out”) in human history that has a debt to equity ratio of 30 ($6,000 billion of debt against $200 billion of equity)."

So Private profits and public loses is what your free markets get us.

I seriously think you misinterpreted my position. It\'s too bad that you can say I have given a crock of shit based on a few opinions you and I have. I would defend that I support those who work hard and not take advantage of others to get their status; i.e. corporations who pay workers low wages to succeed. I outright said that we should blame them, but that is why people have the free choice of what services and goods they will buy. I am absolutely totally against unethical corporations who do not abide by the legal framework they should be held accountable for. If the free market worked appropriately, the red tape of bureaucracy wouldn\'t have muddled up the entire Federal Reserve system that supposedly "nationalizes" these self-serving corporations.  

Don\'t make your attack so personal dude, it just fogs the facts you are attempting to give out.

Free marketers expose that any gov oversight is a bad thing and that the market forces will take care of themselves.

That is in essence what the housing market was. The government allowed unchecked and unregulated practices to go forward and even removed many of the oversight that was there. And what did the free market get us?

It got us predatory lending practices, over leveraged loan companies and a huge mess. That is what Free markets will get you. Corporations only care about profits and they are who drive the markets.

I am not talking about low wages. I am talking about market manipulations, insider deals etc etc. All of this would go unchecked in a Free Market as described by libertarians. I happen to agree with a lot of their platform except on this I think they are completely wrong.

There has to be oversight and checks and balances.

I am all for checks and balances in the fashion the writers of the constitution intended...I did not say I was specifically a Libertarian; moreover a fiscally conservative facist. My reasoning is that some oversight is certainly and respectably necessary, otherwise the Feds will corrupt/be corrupted. Government IMHO has no business getting involved in making laws that deny our right to bear arms, free speech, etc. "congress shall make no law..." Too many unnecessary laws result in bureaucratic mess.

Btw I disapprove of Bush and McCain and anyone who is affiliated with the Council On Foreign Relations. (you may want to check their agendas out with the Security and Prosperity Partnership SPP)  What we can do is stop using services and goods of those corps that are bogus. I would wage to say that the Feds\' involvement in fluctuation of interest rates really screwed over the housing market. Bush said in a speech in 2002 that he thought everyone has a "right" to own a home, so lets lower the down payment amounts so then we can apply a variable interest rate, which in turn gave people a false sense of being able to buy a home and in turn they eventually entered foreclosure. Back in the 70\'s one would have to put at least 20% down on a home. Now people are given a crapload of credit and when they can\'t pay the high interest rates we end up as a whole footing the bill. Therefore the Feds changing the rules wrecked us: my fault with too much gov\'t control over bankers. If we\'d get the heck outta dodge (war) perhaps we could help our own citizens more, but we\'re so invested in Iraq that we are losing our own freedoms here for the sake of "spreading democracy"...
"When I hold you, I hold everything that is-- swans, volcanoes, river rocks, maple trees drinking the fragrance of the moon, bread that the fire adores. In your life I see everything that lives."- Pablo Neruda:wave:

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
God I hate school
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2008, 11:22:32 pm »
Your Breakfast statistician is obliged to inform you that this thread suddenly has the highest words-per-post of any thread in .info history (minimum 50 posts).  This thread currently averages 72.22 words per post, hanging in there above the old record of 68.53 words per post in the "One And Only PBFans.com Political Pissing Contest" thread.  Nice work everyone.

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
God I hate school
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2008, 11:43:32 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman;202547
Your Breakfast statistician is obliged to inform you that this thread suddenly has the highest words-per-post of any thread in .info history (minimum 50 posts).  This thread currently averages 72.22 words per post, hanging in there above the old record of 68.53 words per post in the "One And Only PBFans.com Political Pissing Contest" thread.  Nice work everyone.

you gotta be fuckin kidding
*Gia*

SkyePrizm

• separator
God I hate school
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2008, 11:50:18 pm »
I wish Wolfman could follow me around and give me random stats about my daily life.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
God I hate school
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2008, 12:10:44 am »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;202551
I wish Wolfman could follow me around and give me random stats about my daily life.

Here\'s one: Skyeprizm averages 8 avatar changes per day
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

SkyePrizm

• separator
God I hate school
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2008, 12:18:53 am »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;202558

oooh snap. you got me.  i am so indecisive.

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
God I hate school
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2008, 12:29:15 am »

you\'re just jealous your avatar is getting older than moldy shit
*Gia*

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
God I hate school
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2008, 12:37:44 am »

Hahaha!!

Dude, you\'ve had the same avatar (pretty sure about this) since I joined this circus.

Post in my mailbox:

Your Breakfast statistician is obliged to inform you that this thread suddenly
has the highest words-per-post of any thread in .info history (minimum 50
posts).  This thread currently averages 48.22 words per post, hanging in there
above the old record of 45.53 words per post in the "One And Only PBFans.com
Political Pissing Contest" thread.  Nice work everyone.

Actual post:

So, you gonna be one of those father\'s who gives their kid a sac fly when someone tags from 2nd to 3rd off their flyout?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:37:44 am by Gordo »
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
God I hate school
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2008, 11:49:09 am »
It doesn\'t matter now.  Look at the next 5posts after mine.  As soon as I post the fact that this is the most articulate thread ever, Al, Skye, and Bezerker completey fuck the average words-per-post with 5 consecutive one-liners.  It\'s gonna take a couple more mini-essays from the peanut gallery to make up for that and get this thread back to the top spot.  

(BTW hilarious post by bezerker "you gotta be fuckin kidding me"  Brilliant.)

tyzack

• http://
God I hate school
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2008, 11:56:23 am »

do you count words in quotes, or only words in "original" posts?

I don\'t think that the words in quotes should count.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
God I hate school
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2008, 12:05:59 pm »
Quote from: Gordo;202566
So, you gonna be one of those father\'s who gives their kid a sac fly when someone tags from 2nd to 3rd off their flyout?

For the record, I wish it was only Little League dads that did this. Statisticians for collegiate programs are the biggest homers I have ever met in my life; I often feel like I\'m cheating my team by scoring the game accurately.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

inthewhitelodge

Math pretty much rules Wolf.
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2008, 12:49:21 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman;202598
It doesn\'t matter now.  Look at the next 5posts after mine.  As soon as I post the fact that this is the most articulate thread ever, Al, Skye, and Bezerker completey fuck the average words-per-post with 5 consecutive one-liners.  It\'s gonna take a couple more mini-essays from the peanut gallery to make up for that and get this thread back to the top spot.  

(BTW hilarious post by bezerker "you gotta be fuckin kidding me"  Brilliant.)

Okay, I\'m gonna lay off the hypertensive political discourse for a time being...It may turn into a Vietnam of words in a way. Let\'s make it known that the music, math (numbers in general), and good shows make it possible for us to agree to disagree. Let me tell you, I might even shed a couple tears on that one, because after all is said and done, we\'re all on this boat ride together and have been perplexed by the infinite possibility of the human mind and spirit.

Today at my field placement I met 16 four-year-old preschoolers who were absolutely amazing. The way they listened attentively and used a coloring project to learn one-to-one correspondence, fractions, writing, and well, all curricular areas in a way, makes me smile and remember how lucky I am to be able to be with them all in this lifetime.

I understand that we have had several influences metaphorically/educationally speaking, and each person must walk the path in their own way. I am def. remembering my stats class in a more positive light now Wolfman. I have tended to be verbose, and if there was a jam solo for the way of this sound synesthesia (sp?) I\'d enjoy the B-fast to invent and play it. The movie Pi reminds me of this sensation of mathematically examining life as we know it. I took a modern mathematics class (pretty low on the difficulty rating) but def. extraordinary while discussing issues of polling/elections, building design, and the Fibonacci sequence.

If I was a math teacher who could design the curriculum, I\'d want to call it Sacred Geometry of the Warrior.
"When I hold you, I hold everything that is-- swans, volcanoes, river rocks, maple trees drinking the fragrance of the moon, bread that the fire adores. In your life I see everything that lives."- Pablo Neruda:wave:

lilblondie

• the FU queen
God I hate school
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2008, 12:50:47 pm »
this thread has gone from i hate school....college degrees.....politics.....and stats on the board...very interesting...
maybe the sun will shine today...
the clouds will roll away..
maybe i wont be so afraid..
i will understand that everything has its plan...
either way...

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
God I hate school
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2008, 12:54:59 pm »
can everyone just pair off and get a room so we can keep talking about teen angst and high school and all sorts of other things that we\'ll find out, once we turn 19 or 20, never really mattered in the first place?

This portion of the current posting has the sole purpose of attempting to increase the average words per post for this thread.  Please disregard this paragraph entirely, as it will be a waste of time to continue reading.  If you continue to read this paragraph, your computer will begin to collapse in on itself, eventually forming a singularity so dense, you\'ll basically be pulled apart as you are sucked into it.  And no one really wants that.  Unless I REALLY don\'t like you, in which case I wouldn\'t be that torn up over it.  (Get it?  Torn up?  Cuz of the miniature black hole in front of you?  You see what I did there?  I\'m so funny.)
Postcount +1.