Author Topic: 8/15/2008 Tunage >> Utica Synergy  (Read 2777 times)

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
8/15/2008 Tunage >> Utica Synergy
« on: August 18, 2008, 12:27:55 pm »
Mezmorizing, intense, beautiful, dark, meandering, EPIC.  I just listened to the Tunage from Daniel Street and I think it could possibly be the single greatest type 2 jam ever played by the Breakfast.  Very reminiscent of the 12/29/94 Bowie.  Extremely tight funk jamming for the first 5 minutes of the jam, followed by incredibly seagued type-2 jamming that takes the song and the band to a whole new level.  Absolutely a masterpiece.

You just need to listen to it, I cant really explain in words how good it is.  It takes so many unexpected turns but everyone remains in tune with eachother perfectly.

This is my choice for jam of the year no question about it.

Klout, sorry chip but this crushes the utica synergy all around.  I put it over the noho HLH also.
DS Newbers

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 12:29:22 pm »
friday night had type IIs all over the place
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 01:16:43 pm »
Ill be thrilled if it is.  Tunage was my favorite song till they started the voacl jam biz then syn syn cam along. I was gonna wait for the flac to finish but I guess Ill grab the mp3 nah kad

its good. very out there. its what tunage should be. It never really hits the uber epic level heard in synergy from the 9-12 minute mark though.  It gets real close around the 24 minute mark but doesnt quite hit it. Out of the  3, noho HLH , utica, syn ... overall...I would say it is the least tight but the most experimental. The other two are very driven and streamlined. this one is much more jazz odyssey style. So its deffinitly right up there. I said this to someone the other night though...once you get up into that level of serness its  hard to say one is better than the other. It comes down to personal preference and what your listening to/feeling at the time. I like the tight epic new era bfast epic trancey jams the best. they did it again at river st the other night, just briefly though. This tunage is great but for all its type 2 headynes it just doesnt hit that highest high that  makes a jam really epic in mind.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 01:16:43 pm by Klout »

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 01:33:11 pm »
Not too start too much shit, but when did a song stop being a song and started to exist as a type 2 jam (which, I know I stand along, can\'t stand)?  Love HLH and Tunage; the jury is still out on Synergy.  I enjoy the 10-15 minute Synergy, but the 20-30 minute Synergy kills me; I guess that it because most of what I listen to falls into the 3-minute standard rock tunes.  I enjoy GD, Phish and obviously TB, but that\'s pretty much the extent of my jamband appreciation.  It just feels to me that all TB tunes are forcing a jam to hit that 8-10 minute per song timing.  If a song flows that way, cool, but if it\'s a 3-5 minute song that doesn\'t call for an extended jam, let it be that.

I know that I pretty much stand along on this topic, but 800 lb gorilla in the room felt the need to speak.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 01:35:11 pm »
I\'ll be the judge of this.

Later.

When I\'m home from work and can actually give it a listen :)
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 01:53:44 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;199713
It just feels to me that all TB tunes are forcing a jam to hit that 8-10 minute per song timing.    If a song flows that way, cool, but if it\'s a 3-5 minute song that doesn\'t call for an extended jam, let it be that.

nah most songs dont go type 2 actually. tunage, synergy, mayfly, honey butter and few others do it consistently. hand full of others do it on occasion. Thats it really though.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 01:57:16 pm »
It just seems (to me) that a lot of the jams (regular jams or type 2) are forced.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 02:00:19 pm »
Well the jams are usually my favorite part of the song.

So may the force be with them!
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »
just listen to reel time on repeat then yoda.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 02:06:10 pm »
Rather listen to Ahoy! start/end Ahoy! start/end Ahoy! start/end Ahoy! start/end Ahoy! start/end Ahoy!

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 03:02:02 pm »
Tunage at Daniel St. is Epic. The levels are perfect so you can really hear the fullness of Matt.  This band is really shaping to be at par with Phish, something I\'ve always said, and can now finally hear come into fruition.

Synergy,  one of the saddest Bfast efforts to date.  Throw it away with Living Daylights.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 03:11:07 pm »
Synergy is probably the most Phish sounding song the breakfast has written. So, to say this...

Quote from: Overexjoesure;199738
This band is really shaping to be at par with Phish, something I\'ve always said, and can now finally hear come into fruition.

and follow it up with this...

Synergy,  one of the saddest Bfast efforts to date.

is quite contradictory, don\'t you think?
Smell my mule.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 03:13:47 pm »
This band is really shaping to be at par with Phish, something I\'ve always said, and can now finally hear come into fruition.

very contradictory and great sentence structure too!

I like going see a breakfast epic shows, and so cant you!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 03:19:46 pm by Klout »

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 03:18:08 pm »
ya know what, yoda, i\'ll agree with you to a point. i was listening to a show this weekend while driving (3/21 maybe?), and noticed that iftim and adrian had listened to matt, they would have pulled the jam back down a bit sooner. nistead, they kept raging it like they do (and like we love) but it went into the forced area... like, yeah, you guys can play faster, but do you have anything else to say? in this instance i felt like they didn\'t, and did a disservice to themselves by forcing the jam along for an extra 5 or 8 minutes, when it could have been pulled in and made into a much more concise and stronger overall jam.

that being said, don\'t mistake this for meaning that i don\'t care for the type II jams, just that sometimes the jams (type II or otherwise) seem extended solely for the sake of extension, rather than to extend a thought....

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 03:21:58 pm »
some jams are too drawn out, some are too short, some are right on the money.  They are getting it just right more consistently though.