Author Topic: Setlist: 2008-08-16 - River Street Jazz Café; Plains, PA  (Read 5511 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Setlist: 2008-08-16 - River Street Jazz Café; Plains, PA
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:36:44 am »
I: jam > Hard Luck Harry* > jam > The Sound, Metropolis, The World Needs Us, Buquebus, See The Light**

* finishes the 8/15 version.
** inverted; with Steve Learson (The Indobox) on keyboards.

thatguy

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 12:59:37 pm »
what do ya know,2 hunge last night rockin show,who thought.

Ren

• what?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 01:32:18 pm »
We felt we "needed" to go to see the rest of the Daniel Street show, so we made the  trek, i say that because it seemed just as they were building up momentum they had to stop.  

That being said, opening with the end of HLH did just that.  It was amazing that instantly they sounded like they\'d already been playing with the style, and energy as if they\'d been playing for a few hours already.   Veeery strong jam towards the end of the Sound.  Unquestionably the best Metropolis yet, hard hitting, directly to the point and jammed perfectly.  Excllent orchestration or rather direction of the band by that, uh bass guy towards the end of it.  I don\'t even know what to say about him, he sure do like them balloons, though...that goofy son of a bitch.

Without a doubt Buquebus has reached yet another level of greatness.  I really don\'t know what to say about this one, pretty crazy from the start, the very good sized crowd filled the dance floor pretty much right away for this one.  I can\'t really do it much justice by talking about it, though.  But still, i don\'t see how it could\'ve been any better.  However, after the whole, "...eat your breakfast \'cross the nation..."  this song just exploded,  Tim began a solo that was simply scorching, some of his best playing I\'ve seen in a long time or even at all for that matter, it was furious, intense, purposeful, and any other word that would describe a solo.  Shit.  There were so many peaks it was just silly, every time ya\'d get the feeling it would come back around, it would come back for more, I have to say the final peak was one of the craziest I\'ve ever heard them play, it could NOT have been any better, imo.

One of the best parts of the night however which kinda shows that regardless of how well they play, they can still be unsure or self-conscious.  As we walked out, Tim was sitting by himself in the back of the van waiting for Chris, and he was kinda quiet, he ask how we liked it, we said it was great and he seemed a bit, modest or a bit un-convinced, kinda like, "really?" he said he thought his solo during Buquebus was "pretty good", and he kinda liked it, if he only knew...

I don\'t recall seeing any evidence of the show being recorded.  I hope it was.  That Buquebus was legendary...

Great sized crowd.  Cool little place, kinda weird that you could smoke in there.  Great fuckin\' time, well worth the trip, I\'ll def go again...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:36:29 pm by Ren »
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 01:35:07 pm »
damn, any monster queeb show i hope was recorded, good review ren
DS Newbers

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 01:43:55 pm »
Quote from: Ren;199622

Without a doubt Buquebus has reached yet another level of greatness.  I really don\'t know what to say about this one, pretty crazy from the start, the very good sized crowd filled the dance floor pretty much right away for this one.  I can\'t really do it much justice by talking about it, though.  But still, i don\'t see how it could\'ve been any better.  However, after the whole, "...eat your breakfast \'cross the nation..."  this song just exploded,  Tim began a solo that was simply scorching, some of his best playing I\'ve seen in a long time or even at all for that matter, it was furious, intense, purposeful, and any other word that would describe a solo.  Shit.  There were so many peaks it was just silly, every time ya\'d get the feeling it would come back around, it would come back for more, I have to say the final peak was one of the craziest I\'ve ever heard them play, it could NOT have been any better, imo.

sounds incredible.  fantastic writing too
*Gia*

Nermel9

• the nice girl
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 01:46:34 pm »
Definitely the best Buquebus I\'ve ever seen, Metropolis too.  Oh and See the Light was pretty fantastic also! :)

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 01:53:20 pm »
how was the first jam in queeb ?
*Gia*

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 02:10:36 pm »
please please say someone taped?!?!  klout did you see anything?
DS Newbers

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 02:33:26 pm »
jam>HLH>jam was right up there with the noho HLH. for ser.

best metro ever played. no question. reworked and much tighter.

Best queeb I have ever seen.

Best bass lines ever heard at a breakfast show, hand down.

The STL with the sitin was great as well.

They were simply on fire last night.

Have never seen these four listening and playing off each other so fluidly.

They were just LOCKED IN the whole set.

New level of tightness and achievement for this band.

Cant wait to see where it goes from here.

Well done boys.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:26:50 pm by Klout »

Nermel9

• the nice girl
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 02:39:11 pm »
Quote from: ds673488;199628
please please say someone taped?!?!  klout did you see anything?

I could swear I saw someone with taping equipment set up, but I\'m guessing they were there for the other band...I really don\'t know.

peaches626

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 02:39:55 pm »
i think klout saw something.
taints rule, gypsies drool!

Whineberg

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 02:54:42 pm »
Well, if I had known about the fireworks and balloons....................

Ren

• what?
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 03:12:24 pm »
...yep, nothing like, ripping down a couple balloons, and listening to some sick j. geils, while everyone goes, "bum. bum, bum, ba, ba, ba," to the music.  that was some of the worst "lot" music i\'ve EVER heard.  it was somewhat amusing to watch, though.  

yo, booz, i think either two 10 oz. buds for 4 balloons, or 11 balloons for $10 would\'ve probably been a deal they could not have rejected.

"...angel is a centerfold!!!..."
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

ChrisLikesBass

• Where the hell is Ellitz?
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 03:16:48 pm »
Thanks to all that came out last night. Great show and great turnout. Props to the Box. Oh yeah, Ren It was awesome chilling out in your home turf of good old Wilkes-Barre.:D

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 03:41:52 pm »
wow this all looks incredible...dont they always tear it up at this venue?

HLH as good as noho?!?! now that SER
DS Newbers