Author Topic: The Band Rivalry Throwdown Thread  (Read 4337 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
The Band Rivalry Throwdown Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 06:06:20 pm »
I commented on my personal taste.  I can\'t stand Rap or Hip Hop.  So sue me if I\'m not up on modern music.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 06:51:42 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;198622
I commented on my personal taste.  I can\'t stand Rap or Hip Hop.  So sue me if I\'m not up on modern music.

With you on that one I am - alone, you are not, my small wizened friend.

Some of these showdowns are quite interesting to think about, but not all are IMHO worth the effort. I didn\'t like rap when it first started making headway and I don\'t like it now - not enough melody, too much posturing and concern for image, too much racism, too much violence associated with its "stars" and above all, I can\'t stand the monotonous delivery and lack of groove... I can manage some of the Beasties in small doses and some of Franti\'s stuff is good, but that\'s as far as I go.

And "voice of the people?" - not this guy here. Sorry wolfman, but if I want apposite political and social comment, give me 60s Bobby Zimmerman or any era Paul Kantner or Country Joe. They know what\'s what and can still write a damn good tune to express themselves, rather than hijacking others\' work and ruining it by looping it and droning on almost indistinguishable caca over the top.
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 07:12:16 pm »
Quote from: boombox;198625

Some of these showdowns are quite interesting to think about, but not all are IMHO worth the effort. I didn\'t like rap when it first started making headway and I don\'t like it now - not enough melody, too much posturing and concern for image, too much racism, too much violence associated with its "stars" and above all, I can\'t stand the monotonous delivery and lack of groove... I can manage some of the Beasties in small doses and some of Franti\'s stuff is good, but that\'s as far as I go..

I think hiphop is getting pretty frickin\' stale.  The only way I\'d listen to any of the new stuff is if there was a real band making real music (and they do exist and I do like a few).

One other thought to add: most "songs" are ripped off samples of older tunes with some douchey thug rhyming over about bitties, blunts, cars, cribs, colts and other miscellaneous lines of empty self-promotion.  A lot of the people who listen to hiphop don\'t even listen to the lyrics, as they are more more enamored with the catchy sample (which can be Motown, pop, heck even Steely Dan has been used) which they often do not know the origin of.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 10:51:11 pm »
jay-z is better than biggie and tupac combined

Mamalakabubadaya

• http://
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 09:32:11 am »
Quote from: Klout;198640
jay-z is better than biggie and tupac combined

you can\'t be ser.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 09:46:03 am »
biggie > dylan

:wah:

how about aerosmith vs. bon jovi
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 10:00:27 am »
Quote from: zuke583;198667
biggie > dylan

I think a more apropriate one would be

Springsteen vs. Bon Jove (Bruce by a mile)
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 10:21:14 am »
Quote from: Yoda;198670
Quote from: zuke583;198667
biggie > dylan

I think a more apropriate one would be

Springsteen vs. Bon Jove (Bruce by a mile)

should have specified...

worst band ever that\'s somehow really popular: aerosmith vs. bon jovi

i don\'t like bruce, but i can at least respect what he does...not so much with those two

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 10:22:16 am »
we\'ve had this discussion before holly. still ser. Reasonable doubt, blue print, blue print 2.0 the gift and the curse, dynatsy, voume 1 volume 2 volume 3 all classics.  

Best flow, best lyrics, best beats, best  mix of street and pop, most flashy, most ballin, realest, most bitches, jiggiest mofo in the game.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 10:28:46 am »
The Breakfast vs. Phish

(I have the feeling that I am going to regret posting this... but I think it could be a good question if everybody thinks about it before they respond.)
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 10:31:02 am »
Hip hop WAS the new music of a generation, but like NAS says, hip hop is dead. It\'s slowly declining, making way for whatever will be the next big thing. I am a hip hop fan, definitely, but only the creative, melodic, thought provoking lyrical kind (underground) that many of you naysayers have not heard. Mainstream rap is awful, i think we can all agree on that. But many of the good MCs are able to play with a live band at their shows which is cool, and for that I give them plenty of respect.

I read an article in Relix how the Roots are trying to be the "black phish." And I gotta say, they are awesome live.

Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;198674
The Breakfast vs. Phish

(I have the feeling that I am going to regret posting this... but I think it could be a good question if everybody thinks about it before they respond.)

How about \'94 Phish v. \'05 Breakfast?

shit i dont even know if i can answer that
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:31:02 am by Vassillios »
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 10:37:19 am »
Quote from: Vassillios;198675
only the creative, melodic, thought provoking lyrical kind (underground) that many of you naysayers have not heard.

I like a lot underground stuff but even some of that is even more wack and bullshit than lil wayne or whoever in the main stream.....i.e.....immortal technique...."its all a conspiracy, everyone is plotting against me..kill george bush, kill kill kill the white man, burn the constitution, I\'m a not a rapper I\'m a revolutionary leader, extreme anger and violence are cool and acceptable if they are for some wacko delusional cause"...

:fucktard:

totally down with the positive underground though
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:57:51 am by Klout »

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 10:56:41 am »
Quote from: Vassillios;198675
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;198674
The Breakfast vs. Phish

How about \'94 Phish v. \'05 Breakfast?

shit i dont even know if i can answer that

i\'ll answer for you: \'94 phish

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 11:00:45 am »
Zuke did you see any phish shows in 94? I didn\'t ,  So I would have to go with 2005 breakfast.

\'95 is a whole different story though ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:00:45 am by Klout »

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 11:09:21 am »
Quote from: zuke583;198682
i\'ll answer for you: \'94 phish

I didn\'t see any of the 94 tour either but you can\'t argue with the recordings.

How about phish summer 91 tour with the horns vs all of 92 vs all of 93 vs fall 97?
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke