Author Topic: 08-09 National Hockey League Thread  (Read 33669 times)

spance

• ride
    • http://
08-09 National Hockey League Thread
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2009, 10:26:00 am »
Yoda...relax, i\'m BREAKING YOUR BALLS. I never said Marty wasn\'t a GREAT goal tender, but he will always be a whiney little bitch just like Avery will always be an asshole to you, right? But like I said, I don\'t like the team...just like I don\'t like the Red Sox.

I have respect for anyone (even Marty) who brings there A game night in and night out but apparently you don\'t cause Avery played so hard in last years playoff that he almost lost his fucking spleen....so save your breath with the "typical ranger fan" bullshit.

And I posted the link about Marty cause I thought it was fucked up that right after his big accomplishment that was what his douche\' of an ex would do to him....I honestly don\'t care about his story, it has nothing to do with his ability as a player. Just as Averys comments have nothing to do with what he does on the ice...except that it\'s to intentionally get into other players heads, it\'s an act...just like Brodeur flop last year when Avery pushed him. I think it only helps the rivalry but that\'s just my opinion.
I\'m gonna break the speed of sound with my silver bullet!!

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2009, 10:45:16 am »
Sorry, but even Avery\'s own teammates had an issue with his antics last year.  Maybe that\'s why Brodeur didn\'t want to shake his hand after the last game last year.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #167 on: March 30, 2009, 09:44:57 pm »
:crickets:
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2009, 11:38:35 pm »
Quote from: freddiewaht;224763

I sooooo haven\'t been into this season. I\'m a slacker.   But it looks like everyone else has been to.   Rangers did win tonight.  Nice shut out by Lundqvist....

Perhaps the playoffs will get us all excited....

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2009, 07:35:07 am »
A long time ago I realized that this is a Ragners/Devils bashing thread.

Avery signing and Broduers records got notice but most other things have gone unmentioned.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2009, 08:33:55 am »
Quote from: freddiewaht;224763

Congrats on the win... you\'ve put yourself more than 2 games ahead of 9th place and 1 behind 6th place... I can\'t say that I\'ve been happy with the way my team is playing, but we\'re only one win away from the #2 spot, so I really can\'t complaign...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2009, 01:02:49 pm »
Rangers better come to play in the remaining 3 games or they could be shut out of the playoffs.  Florida and Rangers are tied in points with 3 games each remaining.  In my opinion, the rangers have to win all three to guarantee themselves the 8 seed.  The Rangers are 1 and 2 against Montreal (1 game) and 2 and 2 against Phili (2 games).  Florida is 2 and 1 against Phili (1 game), 3 and 2 against Atlanta (1 game) and 2 and 2 against Washington (1 game).  Rangers need to either be up in points or wins because Florida owns the series 3 games to 1.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2009, 03:12:03 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;225722
Rangers better come to play in the remaining 3 games or they could be shut out of the playoffs.  Florida and Rangers are tied in points with 3 games each remaining.  In my opinion, the rangers have to win all three to guarantee themselves the 8 seed.  The Rangers are 1 and 2 against Montreal (1 game) and 2 and 2 against Phili (2 games).  Florida is 2 and 1 against Phili (1 game), 3 and 2 against Atlanta (1 game) and 2 and 2 against Washington (1 game).  Rangers need to either be up in points or wins because Florida owns the series 3 games to 1.

They are essentially dead to me at this point. I do not think they will make the playoffs and even if they do so what. they cannot beat any of the top 8 teams in the east in a 7 game series. NO WAY Not gonna happen. It isn\'t like the powerplay is all of a sudden going to wake up and start scoring on a consistent basis. They will be golfing soon enough.

My hope is that they miss the playoffs and Sather is fired. But the problems for the rangers runs DEEP. Gomez @ 7.5 Drury @ 7, Redden @ 6.5, Rosival at 5 and all for multi-year contracts some with no trade and or no movement clauses. Even if they sign NO FA\'s in the off season and only sign the RFA\'s they will once again be right against the cap. they are screwed for a long time to come.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #173 on: April 07, 2009, 03:34:19 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;225731
They are essentially dead to me at this point. I do not think they will make the playoffs and even if they do so what. they cannot beat any of the top 8 teams in the east in a 7 game series. NO WAY Not gonna happen. It isn\'t like the powerplay is all of a sudden going to wake up and start scoring on a consistent basis. They will be golfing soon enough.

My hope is that they miss the playoffs and Sather is fired. But the problems for the rangers runs DEEP. Gomez @ 7.5 Drury @ 7, Redden @ 6.5, Rosival at 5 and all for multi-year contracts some with no trade and or no movement clauses. Even if they sign NO FA\'s in the off season and only sign the RFA\'s they will once again be right against the cap. they are screwed for a long time to come.

See, I don\'t get it... You guys loves Gomez and Drury when you got them and they both produced.  Having seen Gomez on my team for so many years, I wouldn\'t mind him still being on the team (except for one tiny detail... he\'s a traitor).  You have to hope that they keep the 8 seed; once you\'re in the playoffs, you never know what will happen...

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2009, 03:48:34 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;225735
Quote from: kindm\'s;225731

See, I don\'t get it... You guys loves Gomez and Drury when you got them and they both produced.  Having seen Gomez on my team for so many years, I wouldn\'t mind him still being on the team (except for one tiny detail... he\'s a traitor).  You have to hope that they keep the 8 seed; once you\'re in the playoffs, you never know what will happen...

The issue is their salaries not really the players. They are decent enough but they are not the kind of players u build a team around. They are role players. Drury is a 20 goal scorer, Gomez is the same. The Rangers are a team of role players. There is no gifted goal scorer on this team, add to that they have terrible over priced D and we are screwed. They did nothing to replace the scoring that Jagr brought to the team. Except to add a few 20 goal scorers.

Avery is a bust IMHO. he gave the team a quick boost in the heart dept. but has fizzled completely. He went from being a surge > to barley noticeable > to taking bad penalties.
When Torts first took over they were a go go go team. Then the trade deadline came, they got rid of 2 hussle guys and the team now plays a slow boring Renney type game again with all the same trouble.

Perfect example. Corey Potter scores a goal and an assist in his 2 call up games. So what did the rangers do ? they sent him down WTF!!!! so precious terrible slows-ival can get his spot back. Redden, Rosival, Drury, Gomez, hank can all play without any repercussions for bad play and they know it and it shows on the ice.

I do know that if the Rangers make the playoffs they do not get out of the 1st round. Name 1 team in the East that you honestly think the Rangers match up well with in a game ? let alone a 7 game series.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2009, 04:03:22 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;225738
I do know that if the Rangers make the playoffs they do not get out of the 1st round. Name 1 team in the East that you honestly think the Rangers match up well with in a game ? let alone a 7 game series.

I\'m not one for matching teams/players/lines and comparing them, but if you look at the head to head games against the other 7 current playoff teams in the east, you pretty much have a 50/50 shot with most of them.

Current East Playoff Seeds
1 - Boston (2/2)
2 - Washington (1/3) Not a good matchup
3 - NJ (3/3)
4 - Phili (2/2) With two more games against
5 - Carolina (2/2)
6 - Pitt (3/3)
7 - Montreal - (1/2) One more game against

I\'m not sticking up for the rangers, but as a devils fan, I sure as hell don\'t want to draw them in the first round...

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2009, 04:20:55 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;225741
Quote from: kindm\'s;225738

I\'m not one for matching teams/players/lines and comparing them, but if you look at the head to head games against the other 7 current playoff teams in the east, you pretty much have a 50/50 shot with most of them.

Current East Playoff Seeds
1 - Boston (2/2)
2 - Washington (1/3) Not a good matchup
3 - NJ (3/3)
4 - Phili (2/2) With two more games against
5 - Carolina (2/2)
6 - Pitt (3/3)
7 - Montreal - (1/2) One more game against

I\'m not sticking up for the rangers, but as a devils fan, I sure as hell don\'t want to draw them in the first round...

The only reason I would be worried as a Devil fan is that the rangers usually show up to play against the Devils (emotionally) you give us that extra incentive but it works both ways. Those series as with any game against the islanders are pick\'ems. Way too many strange things have happened in games against those teams so I see why you would be concerned. but the Devils have legit goal scorers. if they can find their game again and get out of their little slump they will be good to go.

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2009, 03:10:15 pm »
Fenway Park has been confirmed as 2010 Winter Classic setting

By: Joe Haggerty
0 Comments PrintA hockey source familair with the proceedings has confirmed to WEEI.com that the 2010 NHL Winter Classic will take place at Fenway Park on Jan. 1 with the Boston Bruins taking on an as-yet-undetermined opponent. The two most speculated opponents for the Fenway game have been the New York Rangers and the rival Montreal Canadiens, with the Habs the more likely of the two natural rivals. The Boston Herald first reported the story.

After the last two NHL Winter Classics have gone without a Canadian hockey team, it\'s expected there will be pressure exerted by the powers that be North of the Border to get the Canadiens involved in the Boston game. Bet on B\'s and Habs Jan. 1 at Fenway, and a banged out ballpark with mittens, hot cocoa and earmuffs as far as the eye can see. Should be a once-in-a-lifetime type event.
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2009, 03:14:19 pm »
Screw Boston - this game should really be at Yankee Stadium...

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2009, 04:07:25 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;225962
Screw Boston - this game should really be at Yankee Stadium...

Why ?

If they were going to do it, they should have done it this year. The new building means nothing at all. No history no nothing. just a new stadium

At least fenway is one of the last great old ball parks.

And I guess I have to eat a little crow over my Ranger bashing. They looked pretty good against Montreal but of course no one knows which team will show up each night