Author Topic: attention whoever books breakfast shows >  (Read 13772 times)

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
attention whoever books breakfast shows >
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 07:50:41 pm »
So, you\'re telling me they\'re going to drive from Northampton, MA to  Oberlin, OH (~600 miles) then up to Burlington, VT (~650). I think we found our definition for dyslexic.
Smell my mule.

OMS

• Egg-Head
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 09:11:43 pm »
ouch, did not see that. yeah they are playing oberlin, one of my best friends just booked them he goes there. sorry for the delayed news. ill probably fly to ohio from DC for this show and stay with him. hope to see you all there assuming this goes through.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 10:17:19 pm »
this doesnt make any sense whatsoever...its going to cost them a grand just in travel each way for this endevor
DS Newbers

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 11:05:41 pm »
what the fucks going on

btw, its been a god damn while since they played in NH.  there ARE other venues than stone church

not to mention this state absolutely loves the band
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:05:41 pm by bezerker »
*Gia*

thatguy

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 11:11:55 pm »
:wedgie:

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 08:16:13 am »
Quote from: ds673488;197588
the freakout run this year should be Naraganssett>Middle East>Iron Horse>Higher Ground

F toads shows in the freakout run...no one goes there anymore anyway

Quote from: postom;197590
hell, i\'d even be okay if they started playing providence again.  that was fun

PROVIDENCE > > > > > > > > > NARAGANSETT

They are pretty much not comparable.

Also, don\'t discount mid-week shows. I\'ve been to a number of wednesday night shows at the living room which were "packed" by bands that are in no way what I would consider "large touring acts."

Mono and High On Fire packed the place in feburary and grand buffet had a good showing (larger than a naragansett breakfast crowd) in march.

Speaking of naragansett breakfast crowds, of the shows I\'ve been to here everytime is has been 90/10 (.info and breakfast related people)/general public.

Quote from: bdfreetuna;197632
Toad\'s isn\'t really too far. But it\'s close.

If the venue didn\'t suck and / or I had ever witnessed what I\'d call a great Breakfast show there, I\'d probably go

Sometimes Mill St Brews draws a dece crowd (well I was thinking the last turn out was terrible, but there was a snowstorm after all). Not a bad ride from western MA or from Boston.

They def need to play where they can draw. And that\'s def starting to be Northampton again. I\'d say BFast is finally doing better in Northampton than they did in the days of Deuce.

While Southbridge does draw more than naragansett, a similar point can be made for it. There is no native "music sceene" to draw from, nor is there a large population of people who look around for things to do and say "hey, lets go to SOUTHBRIDGE."

[side note: Anyone have fliers for the august mill street show they could send me? [x-posted in the chase thread]]/]

therefore i would argue for cities (boston, providence, or worcester itself) over ass-middle-of-no-where places.

Stone chruch was nice because of it\'s proximity to UNH, but portsmith is right there, there has to be a venue or two there they can play, or if not maybe manchester.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 09:00:20 am »
Quote from: booztravlr;197638
So, you\'re telling me they\'re going to drive from Northampton, MA to  Oberlin, OH (~600 miles) then up to Burlington, VT (~650). I think we found our definition for dyslexic.

Colleges are notorious for overpaying bands. It could be worth it. Fairfield paid O.A.R. the same amount in 2006 that they paid for Third Eye Blind AND Dave Chappelle in 2004. I don\'t remember the figures, but I\'m sure it wasn\'t chump change.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2008, 09:36:43 am »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;197676

Colleges are notorious for overpaying bands. It could be worth it. Fairfield paid O.A.R. the same amount in 2006 that they paid for Third Eye Blind AND Dave Chappelle in 2004. I don\'t remember the figures, but I\'m sure it wasn\'t chump change.

i sure hope so, cause it\'s kind of a kick in the crotch to the fans.

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2008, 09:40:50 am »
Quote from: davepeck;197688

so is this really true? no freakout for us on the 31st?
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2008, 10:10:27 am »
Have we really been so spoiled in the Northeast that it\'s "a kick in the crotch" to not get a three-night run on Halloween? Playing on Halloween, a notoriously huge show for bands in this scene, somewhere other than the Northeast is a step in the right direction. I feel that, as a fan who wants the band to succeed, it\'s worth taking a chance. The rest of the country is not just a place for one set shows where the band refines newer material so they can bring it home to Toad\'s Place for us. Let one of the other 44 states (other than CT, MA, NY, VT, RI, and NJ) have a monster gig like a Halloween Friday.

(Dear Ohio: Please go to this show so I don\'t sound like too big of an asshole in this post. Thx. DK)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 10:11:12 am by Drew_Kingsley »
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

postom

• let\'s go pens
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2008, 10:37:58 am »

and whoever shows up to the OH and VT show, cause i\'m sure as shit the guys are gonna be wide awake for those shows after all that traveling.  

unless they got a tour bus and a driver

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2008, 10:38:39 am »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;197696

Have we really been so spoiled in the Northeast that it\'s "a kick in the crotch" to not get a three-night run on Halloween? Playing on Halloween, a notoriously huge show for bands in this scene, somewhere other than the Northeast is a step in the right direction. I feel that, as a fan who wants the band to succeed, it\'s worth taking a chance. The rest of the country is not just a place for one set shows where the band refines newer material so they can bring it home to Toad\'s Place for us. Let one of the other 44 states (other than CT, MA, NY, VT, RI, and NJ) have a monster gig like a Halloween Friday.

(Dear Ohio: Please go to this show so I don\'t sound like too big of an asshole in this post. Thx. DK)

but ohio? really?

the breakfast last played ohio on 9/28/06. maybe this is a super heady college and they\'ll get tons of people to this show. but i\'ve got to believe that the breakfast\'s fanbase in Oberlin, OH is < 5. and they get the band on halloween? really??

it\'s not every year that the band gets to play on halloween, and with the FF being an annual tradition, and this being the big #10, i would think that having the FF on halloween night would be something spectacular. now 11/1 will probably be booked as the FF, after halloween is already over, and that sucks. this is a complaint i\'ve had before with the past november freakouts. it just takes some of the wind out of its sails when it\'s after halloween.

but whatevs.

postom

• let\'s go pens
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2008, 10:43:34 am »
Quote from: tyzack;197670
While Southbridge does draw more than naragansett, a similar point can be made for it. There is no native "music sceene" to draw from, nor is there a large population of people who look around for things to do and say "hey, lets go to SOUTHBRIDGE."

Stone chruch was nice because of it\'s proximity to UNH, but portsmith is right there, there has to be a venue or two there they can play, or if not maybe manchester.

southbridge actually does get a group like that, the wormtown kids all show up there when there\'s nothing to do in their town.  which is a lot of the time, cause jam-type bands don\'t really play in worcester anymore, and that seems to have turned into their venue.

as for NH, they could play penuche\'s (there\'s 2 or 3 of them) and get exposure for about 50-100 new fans who are open to their kind of music, but that place will never pay the band enough to play there.  

pretty sure they\'re not at the point in their career where they can just start showing up at bars where people who are open to this type of music hang out and get paid shit but get good exposure to 100 or so people, but it would be nice if they did once in a while.

colleges/fraternity parties are good exposure too so can\'t really complain
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 10:50:24 am by postom »

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 10:47:51 am »
[BANANA]i definitely didnt say the above quote[/BANANA]
DS Newbers

postom

• let\'s go pens
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2008, 10:51:14 am »
Quote from: davepeck;197701
now 11/1 will probably be booked as the FF, after halloween is already over, and that sucks. this is a complaint i\'ve had before with the past november freakouts. it just takes some of the wind out of its sails when it\'s after halloween.

not to mention you always feel like a giant retard dressed up the day AFTER halloween