Author Topic: Setlist: 2008-07-25 - Donegal Saloon; Kearny, NJ  (Read 19376 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Setlist: 2008-07-25 - Donegal Saloon; Kearny, NJ
« on: July 25, 2008, 11:34:26 pm »
I: jam* > Synergy > Cut Me Some Slack, Inner Glimpse > Synergy > What The Funk > Synergy, Reel Time

II: May Fly Disarray** > The Late And The Great > May Fly Disarray** > Metropolis, Gladys Pimp And Kangaroos With Me > Drum & Bass jam > Merge

E: Son Of Simpleton

* with \'Love Lake\' teases.
** inverted.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 01:18:28 am »
If you have a moment, kindly explain the dual appearances of Synergy. Inquiring minds want to know.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

peaches626

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 02:41:21 am »
I\'ll second that motion.

But I would also like to add, that this band is really able to write some cool setlists now with a number of songs in the active repertoire, and I\'m glad to see them play around with stuff.  I imagine inverted mayfly means they opened up with the "Ahoy" section.  I love it when the audience is kept on it\'s toes with stuff like that.... keeps things fresh
taints rule, gypsies drool!

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 08:42:54 am »
Honestly, talking to Tim, there was no setlist, just a pool of songs that they picked from.  I actually asked Tim for either an Ahoy! or an inverted Mayfly.  I would actually call the first tune Ahoy! since it was originally it\'s own song and they played TLATG before going into the Mayfly portion.

Also the "Jam" between IG and WTF was Synergy.  Basically what they did was play the composed portion of the song and jam and then went into TLATG. After IG, they came back into it playing on the main jam theme for a couple minutes before going into WTF, then cam back into it again and finished it off.

Also to note, there was a major Love Lake tease at the beginning of CMSS and Matt was teasing PYITE and Landlady at various points of the show.

My setlist varied slightly

Set 1
Jam > Synergy > CMSS, Inner Glimpse > Synergy > What The Funk > Jam > What The Funk > Synergy, Reel Time

Set 2
Ahoy! > TLATG > May Fly > Metropolis, Gladys Pimp > Bass (Solo) and Drums > Jam > Merge

Encore
SOS
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 08:50:25 am by Yoda »
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 09:17:28 am »
Quote from: Yoda;197123
Honestly, talking to Tim, there was no setlist, just a pool of songs that they picked from.  I actually asked Tim for either an Ahoy! or an inverted Mayfly.  I would actually call the first tune Ahoy! since it was originally it\'s own song and they played TLATG before going into the Mayfly portion.

Please don\'t start that debate again!

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 09:29:05 am »
wow, nice looking set list for sure!

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 12:01:39 pm »
looks tasty! cant wait for today
DS Newbers

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 01:59:42 pm »
All I know is that I asked Tim for an Ahoy! and I got an Ahoy!

There are only a few people still around that actually heard the song as it was before it was tagged onto the end of May Fly.  So, sue me if I think it\'s its own song.  If it was an inverted May Fly, then it should have started with the Ahoy! section and then gone onto the guts of the song; it did not, there was another song in between, so in my eyes, they\'re two individual songs.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 02:22:08 pm »
.whhhhaaaatttttttt? I Need To Move Back To The East Coast Just To See This Shit Happen In Person!!!! Tapers???? Plzz???
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Nermel9

• the nice girl
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 02:30:06 pm »
There are only a few people still around that actually heard the song as it was before it was tagged onto the end of May Fly. So, sue me if I think it\'s its own song.

I still think of them as 2 separate songs too. :shrug:

Last night was great, I love Synergy more and more each time I hear it, Metropolis is already one of my favorites and I could not have been happier to hear Merge! :)

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 03:26:09 pm »
Theoretically, though, every (non-inverted) May Fly would then be "May Fly > Ahoy" on setlists, and a May Fly without the Ahoy would still be considered complete.

Not that I see it as a big deal; I\'m not starting an argument or trying to be long winded, just rehashing what I believe was the resolution from a discussion last year. If Leith were here, he would tell you to use the search function and find it. :drew:

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 05:52:02 pm »
I could have sworn that I posted a comment?  Not sure why and if it was removed?

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 07:24:11 pm »
if ahoy were a real song, peck would have a tunage thread for it...
DS Newbers

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 08:15:56 pm »
I may not go to many shows, but I did in the past and I was at both of these shows.  As you can see, it was it\'s own song and then merged into mayfly.  It may not have lasted long on ts own, but it is a real song.

May 18th, 2000                Taboo Club                New Haven, CT

I: Love Lake, Help on the Way > Slipknot! > No Glove No Love, Light My Fire > Mooboo’s Voodoo,
   Taboo or Not Taboot*

II: Buquebus > Another Brick in the Wall > Attraction to Shade Ditty > Ahoy*, Uncle Freddy,
    Mommy What’s a Funkadelic? > Bugs, Summertime Blues, The Vermont Song, Phaddy Boom Baddy

* First Time Played

June 7th, 2000                    Cafe Nine                New Haven, CT

I: Space City Affair > Beef Barley, Gladys Pimp and Kangaroo’s With Me > Help on the Way > Slipknot! >
   Love Lake, May Fly Disarray* > Ahoy!

II: I’m So Glad > The Grand Scheme of Things** > Flower Punk > Taboo or Not Taboot, Moby Dick >
     LDZ > Episode 1 (Happy), Touch Me^, Funk > Thank You (For Talkin To Me Africa) > ATSD

* First Time Played
** Unfinished
^ With Freddie B. on Vocals

peaches626

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 01:54:18 am »
although i grow tired of all the phish comparisons/analogies, i digress.....

it\'s like when phish used to play "Clod", or "The Arrival" or any of the other actual songs that ended up entailing "Fluff\'s Travels" which ended up just being lumped in with "Fluffhead".  

For other examples see:

1) "The Landlady" becoming a regular part of "Punch You in the Eye" or

2) "The Asse Festival" becoming a permanant part of "Guelah Papyrus".  

-You see Yoda, "Ahoy!" certainly used to be it\'s own song, no one is arguing there.  But it appears that it is now known as just the closing section of a bigger, better thing, known as "May Fly Disarray".

Welcome to the 2000\'s Yoda, where the Red Sox win World Series and nobody cares about Bruce Springteen.

And while i\'m at it, what is that in your avatar?????

To all the .info grammar freaks, sorry if i didn\'t use digress correctly.

And yoda, don\'t freak guy, i\'m just makin jokes
taints rule, gypsies drool!