Author Topic: The 2008-09 National Football League Thread  (Read 36398 times)

mcajam

• < does work
    • http://
The 2008-09 National Football League Thread
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2008, 06:21:50 pm »
lets go Seahawks   du du,  du du du
"Well, sometimes nuthin\' can be a real cool hand.."

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2008, 06:50:30 pm »
Pats roll again!

HAHA JETS YOU SUCK!  WAY TO BLOW IT!

GO JETS!

(gotta love end of the season wackiness)

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2008, 11:14:26 am »
I\'d love to see Pennington take down the Jets in the Meadowlands next weekend. Talk about redemption.
Smell my mule.

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2008, 11:46:42 am »
The Giants running game is back.  Snee and Seubert running some nasty traps last night.  Ward hit the holes perfectly. Nothing fancy, just a coach\'s dream of guys executing the plays perfectly. Road to the Super Bowl goes through Jersey.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

tyzack

« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2008, 12:31:53 pm »
Cheifs blew it yesterday, but then again, they have pretty much blown their whole season.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2008, 01:22:41 pm »
Lions WILL upset the Packers in Green Bay. Winning for the first time at Lambeau Field since 1991 when Barry Sanders was in the backfield.

You heard it hear first.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2008, 01:25:08 pm »
Quote from: booztravlr;214262
I\'d love to see Pennington take down the Jets in the Meadowlands next weekend. Talk about redemption.

I\'m not a Jets fan, but I agree. The Mangini-Pennington relationship had run its course, and the Jets got rid of the wrong guy. Pennington has thrown for more yards than Favre with 12 fewer interceptions and, thus far, one more win. The Jets win in Miami (Week 1) was a fluke complete with gift touchdown pass that gets heralded as "clutch" because it happens to have been lobbed by Brett Favre. Pennington is a class act who was treated like shit by Jets and their fans (sometimes with good reason, admittedly), and I hope he celebrates a division title on their field this weekend.

Also, it\'s tough for me to feel bad for the Patriots, but if they go 11-5 and miss the playoffs, that\'s a damn shame.

Finally, if a reporter ever treated one of my head coaches the way Rob Parker treated Rod Marinelli in the Lions\' post-game press conference, he would be handing in his press pass on his way out the door. There are legitimate ways to ask that question, but Parker took the most classless route possible.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2008, 01:42:39 pm »
I think Pennington\'s change of scenery also had to do with his success.  The Jets had the opportunity to pick up Favre and not give up much, I think that decision was a no-brainer (at least for me).  Maybe I\'m a bad fan, but I was one of the many that wanted Chad gone; I wanted a change.  The decision looks like a bad one now because we\'ve basically lost any hope for the playoffs, but no one was complaigning a month ago when we won 5 in a row and beat the titans and patriots.  Don\'t get me wrong, I definitely think that there\'s room for improvement, but with 9 wins, that\'s 5 more than last year.  The biggest question for me is, who\'s going to be our QB when Favre retires at the end of the season; it\'s can\'t be Clemens.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2008, 04:15:40 pm »
Quote from: tyzack;214267
Cheifs blew it yesterday, but then again, they have pretty much blown their whole season.

Lots of tough breaks for the Chiefs this year but they have a lot of build on for next season. Add in another WR, among other things, and they\'ll be able to compete in a weak AFC West. Hopefully they\'ll make the playoffs one more time before Gonzalez retires.
Smell my mule.

mcajam

• < does work
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2008, 05:13:07 pm »
Not really, as long as Herm Edwards, a "defensive" coach, is running things.. 4 wins in 2 seasons? 30 pts a game?  good luck..
"Well, sometimes nuthin\' can be a real cool hand.."

Wolfman

« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2008, 10:26:55 pm »
Quote from: booztravlr;214319
Quote from: tyzack;214267

Lots of tough breaks for the Chiefs this year but they have a lot of build on for next season. Add in another WR, among other things, and they\'ll be able to compete in a weak AFC West. Hopefully they\'ll make the playoffs one more time before Gonzalez retires.

Could have sworn you were a Colts fan last year.  What happened?

Wolfman

« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2008, 08:33:31 pm »
Am I really the first person to post in this thread today?  

Gritty.  Gutsy.  Gallant.  Going golfing.  

Congratulations 2008 New England Patriots: Only the 2nd team in NFL history to go 11-5 and miss the playoffs.

I\'m trying to come to grips with the karma of this.  Last year the Pats piled up the atrocious karma all year, running up the score and whatnot.  But you\'d think losing the Super Bowl was the payback for that.  And if not that, then having Brady tear an ACL in the first drive of the season surly pays it back.  I mean, running up the score is mean, but not THAT bad karma-wise.  It\'s not like they were intentionally injuring people or fixing games or anything.  Then after Brady, 5 other starters, all on defense, went out for the year.  But they didn\'t hang their heads or give up.  They signed guys off their surfboards to play in December.  They worked harder than ever, won every game they could, and in a season that they could have mailed in from week 2, they somehow gutted out an 11-5 record.  And missed the playoffs.  

The punishment seems too harsh at this point.  I guess those are the breaks.  

Next year, get Brady back, trade Cassel to the Lions for the #1 pick, get two defensive players with picks 1 and 18 and it\'s back to the Super Bowl in no time.

Enjoy watching Miami, Denver/SD, Phoenix, Minnesota, Baltimore et al in the playoffs everyone!  Should be riveting!  I\'ll be watching the Bruins and Celtics.

tyzack

« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2008, 09:26:35 pm »
Yeah, thanks New York for the let down.

Quote from: Wolfman;214760

I\'ll be watching the Bruins and Celtics.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 09:29:06 pm by tyzack »

Wolfman

« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2008, 09:29:34 pm »
Quote from: tyzack;214765
Yeah, thanks New York for the let down.

Quote from: Wolfman;214760

I\'ll be watching the Bruins and Celtics.

Can\'t blame the Jets, it\'s not their responsibility to get us into the playoffs.  (They\'re a mediocre team with a bad QB and that\'s exactly what they played like.)  You can only blame the Pats for not winning the games they could have won, and if you\'re into karma you can question whether they deserved all the bad luck they had this year, but you can\'t blame the Jets or Jags.

tyzack

« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2008, 11:08:20 pm »
I am not going to bring karma into this.

I will admit that my early season (post injury) predictions of 10-6, AFC east was passed off the assumption that miami would be 7-9, and the jets 8-8.

So, whatever, I am hoping that they will be able to bundle up cassel to get a very good trade (RB or DB) and they look to pwn again next year.

That being said, GO EAGLES!